The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Classical Piano mic pre's Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Classical Piano mic pre's

Namely for a Steinway grand.

I use 5-8 mics when recording a grand piano. So I prefer 8-channel box (or two 4-channel) I'm thinking one of these:

1. Millennia HV-3C
2. Grace Design m801 (or m802)
3. (2x) Universal Audio 4-710d
4. (2x) API 3124+

Don't need A/D (I use Apogee Symphony I/O)
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Millennia or the Grace.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
Millennia or the Grace.
+1

Just what I was going to say.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks, guys!

So now, which of the two would give me a warmer more full-bodied sound.

Perhaps I could expand my original post from a piano to solo violin / cello, etc... ?

One more box I'm thinking of is DAV Electronics BG8 8 channel Mic Pre.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Seventh Circle Audio J99's are very nice on piano. So are the VP 312's from CAPI. Both can be very clear and nice but not boring.

I'd be curious to see or hear how you are micing with that many mics. The most I've done are 5 and 2 where far rooms.

Thanks
Old 9th September 2011
Fezzle
mm i wouldnt go API for classical piano stuff.. not that it wont do a ggod job, but for depth and detail sure look at Millenia, GML, or NPNG x 2 would do very nicely indeed
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

i haven't used the grace but from what i've read about them i would go with millenia or grace and seriously consider checking out gml. i'm also curious how your using 8 mics on a grand, not saying it's wrong just curious.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

More affordable but definitely competitive soundwise to Millenia and Grace is True Systems P2 Analog. Also available in an 8-track unit. Great for doing M/S-stereo, which I like a lot on grand piano. TRUE Systems
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Out of those choices, the first two for sure. I'd also nominate the John Hardy stuff.

Although, FWIW, if you're *stuck* with some APIs they'll do the trick for just about anything.

A lot of the classical recordings you grew up on probably still sound amazing, and they were recorded on all sorts of stuff before the circuit for the now-ubiquitous millienia was even a vague thought in a designer's head.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ask Plush...

He's over in the remote section, as is "Remoteness." Plush records piano and classical music for a living, but I think any of the equipment you mentioned would do just fine.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

If u r looking at millennium, grace and dav then u must check out forssell. That's what I use:
clean natural and musical the upper mids sound incredible.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Out of those choices, the first two for sure. I'd also nominate the John Hardy stuff.
Yes the Hardy's ....good advice. Twin Servo.

This circuit was Sony Classical's spec'd mic amp for years.

Most certainly will work.

john
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecinzer View Post
Namely for a Steinway grand.

I use 5-8 mics when recording a grand piano. So prefer 8-channel box (or two 4-channel) I'm thinking one of these:
Why do you use 8 mics?

2 x M49 / Lucas CS-1 / U47,...
with GML pre / M72 / Electronaut M63,...

Recording Piano soundonsound
Old 12th September 2011
X2 Quad NPNG preamps on classical piano will expose the phase relationships of your microphones quite intensely, and force you to make some real choices about mic placement.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru
Second (or I guess really, third) the John Hardys.
For classical anything you want high fidelity in the literal sense of the word. Fidelity means truth. You don't want colored gear.
The Millenia should do just fine. Just leave tons of headroom in whatever you use.
Also not sure what you're doing with 8 mics.
Old 12th September 2011
If you're looking for a warm, full bodied sound as you stated above, and want an 8 channel preamp, I'd highly recommend taking a look at the SPL Gainstation 8.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Forget all these outrageously expensive preamps. All what you need is

( love and )

an E-MU 0404 for both preamp and A/D conversion.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malini View Post
Why do you use 8 mics?
Yeah, why do you use 8 mics?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
My first remote recording experience was at a Tchaikowski competition, lugging gear for my dad. He had two Altec mic pres that he'd modded out the wazoo and a couple of old ribbon mics into a Studer A80. One kid played a piece by Liszt that had some incredible dynamics on the low keys that clipped a tad but the sheer weight of those notes grabbed the cajones so tight, few listeners noticed. That was certainly a warm sounding rig, but I don't remember it as being particularly euphonic. Acoustic guitar, voice, upright piano, percussion, you name it, it just sounded like your ears were an audio version of an electron microscope.

Two mics were plenty for his rig. He tried a 3 mics into a stereo mix at one competition but it lost coherence. I guess he needed an IBP.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecinzer View Post
Thanks, guys!

So now, which of the two would give me a warmer more full-bodied sound.
I have not used a Millennia but have a Grace m201 and do recommend it highly. Rather than warm, critics of Grace characterize it as cold. I disagree and think of it as flat and extended at both extremes. If I wanted warm, I'd try a range of mics and mic setups to see if you could get the frequency balance I want. There's more character in mics than any pre I'd use to record a grand. It's a challenging instrument to get right, even in an excellent room!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search