The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lets hear some unique mixing techniques! Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Lets hear some unique mixing techniques!

What kind of things do you like to do while mixing? it could be anything from listening upside down to running lead vox through a wah pedal, monitoring really loudly with earplugs or anything else!

Special prize for the most creative

not really though...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sometimes I run a stereo mini to my car CD player aux input and go and listen during a mix to see how it sounds in my SUV.

Actually, more than sometimes.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Constant bowel movements.
Seriously.

I find that forcing my self to poop at least 4 times a day keeps my ears clean as well as my b-hole.

Breaks are important you know?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

A set of small speakers from Rat Shack are essential, I've used them for so long that they can tell me A LOT about the mix.

Turning up the nearfields and listening from the live room, entry way and/bathroom is a super useful tool too. \

AND...the best mix trick, used especially when a mix has gotten really far away from me, is to slam down all the faders and rebuild the mix balance.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Low volume. Not unique but works.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

I have an old Acoustic 470 (70s SS amp designed for either bass or gat) that gets used on almost every session. Great for tracking instruments, run samples from a MPC through it, run a whole mix through it for a sprinkle of distortion, split an instrument to it to use it's reverb or tremelo, and just spent a day sampling records through it.

Looking to clone it's preamp soon plus build a controller for it's main fx functions.

Really couldn't get by without it.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
I do mix at small volumes... really just to see if the sonic range and composition holds up, because at loud levels it can be misleading. One thing I do is import the wav. to a normal laptop, play it through the crap laptop speakers and check it in a matching anaylzer eq just to do it till it sounds good and import it back as a refference to see how it sounds. I never use that as the final, but it helps in the final/ mastering stage. Those really crappy laptop built in speakers can really give you a perspective of where your mid and high range is at and needing to maybe compensate a little in the 600khz-800khz for compatibility, also maybe cut some highs. It helps to know when you aren't using a normal system that has average to very low bass. Even those radio shack speakers go lower than a crap average laptop speaker so it's worth a check.

It's always kind of the final test for me.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I listen to everything everywhere. All the time I'm listening.

As far as in the studio, Try soloing your kick(s) and panning them the opposite sides. Before anyone starts talking crap, you only do this for a minute, then they go back to center.

Many club and bar systems are mono or makeshift stereo. Listening to a kick or snare through only one speaker is a great indicator for lots of things. Especially in a world where producers stack 3+ kicks and snares. Some stereo some mono..it helps decipher what disappears when they are all on top of each other.

Sometimes the stereo image can be deceiving. I'm not one of those guys that's like "Mix in mono" but there's obvious EQ, phase, and other things that I sometimes change after doing this. I also sweep things across the image spectrum with instruments and backup vocals/harmonies to find a sweet spot in the mix. This also helps with using less EQ because the signals are being spread across the speakers instead of all LRC. I know, I know...A lot of guys swear by LRC..
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
I do mix at small volumes... really just to see if the sonic range and composition holds up, because at loud levels it can be misleading.
+1 on that!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Got this tip from my biz partner, James:

If your struggling with a mix, don't eat lunch. Come back and mix hungry. Our senses are heightened by hunger.

Weird, but it makes sense to me. Conversely, don't mix tipsy. A mind/body buzz from food or booze can make you satisfied with something you won't like as much thee next day.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Don't think this one is quite unique but i like playing a mix and listen to it in the next room or outside the room to see if it sounds right.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
Don't think this one is quite unique but i like playing a mix and listen to it in the next room or outside the room to see if it sounds right.
My sweet spot is standing in the entrance way of my studio, with the door half cocked, while im looking outside. Yeah yeah...my room sucks. But at that spot i can hear exactly whats happening. Now to get that at my mixing position.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

All above are monitoring, not mixing techniques
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I very much doubt this is "unique", and it's nothing all that profound, but...

when I know something's wrong with part of a mix but everything I've tried has drawn a blank, and I can't actually hear what's wrong with it, I've recently simply turned down the loudest frequencies in an EQ and turned up all the quietest frequencies.

Looked at the frequency analyser and simply turned the smallest needles into medium spikes, and turned the big humps into medium/smallish blips. Filled in the bits in between. figuring if something sucks this much I will totally force it into being the complete visual opposite of what it currently is. Like mix painting by numbers.

I know mixing with your eyes is supposed to be a big no-no, but this is for last resort situations, where I literally cannot hear any more what is wrong with an element in a mix. (I suppose it's not really doing anything that much different than turning on a multi-band compressor at hard levels.)

I've generally not left the mix like that, but it works in telling me what the problem was, and allowed me to come back to it and fix it in more nuanced and subtle ways later.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
Pretty sure my trusty old 470 has nothing to do with monitoring.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

^^^ lol...a bit like the Eno cards....do the opposite....
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

heh
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
But if you use them while MIXING...does that not make it a technique for completing mixes?

It's just semantics, and relevant to the thread..
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

I like to go for a run and get my endorphins pumping through my mind so I can get another perspective on the mix!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

I never have double kicks panned dead centre I let the snare have it (if it's quite meaty) Sometimes I also like to pan the bass right a little and the kick equally left, so the vocals have dead centre.

Putting a speaker in big room with a microphone recording the room ambiance as the speaker plays out the snare or vocal track then mixing it back in.

Sample replacement for kick drums & snares but keeping everything else.

Recording the drum track then getting the drummer to double track cymbal parts.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you possibly separate the two?
99.999995% of what you do when mixing is listen carefully.

Anyway, I run my "important" channels to an analog desk. Since I only have 12 analog outs from my digital setup, I mix the "less important" tracks ITB and buss them to two of the analog outputs destined for the analog desk.

All of my effects and dynamics are of the digital variety, so they get applied ITB before heading out. For much of my ITB manipulation, I use post-it notes to cover parts of the screen. Visual feedback and me don't get along. I'm better off not seeing anything.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I've been fine tuning a new (to me) bussing method.

I float groups of instruments (Drums, Bass, Guitars, Vocals etc) to groups on the SSL, these then go via compressors & EQs to PT inputs.
These inputs go to Aux Input tracks (which may have plugins on them) routed to an audio track via a bus. You can run the SSL quad compressor as a hardware insert on an Aux Input track before it hits the audio track if you want.
Each group of instruments get their own send effects which are routed to the same PT input.

This setup means that I'm mixing with stems from the start, you're mixing into them - at the end of the mix you can print all of your stems at the same time, super easy. Not tried it with anything complicated yet (no 140 track R&B mixes!) but it works really well and saves a lot of time.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Sometimes I run a stereo mini to my car CD player aux input and go and listen during a mix to see how it sounds in my SUV.

Actually, more than sometimes.
Ditto
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like to just dump the session onto my MacBook Pro and go mix IN the car for a little while. I used to drag a sleazy little mBox with me but with PT9 I don't have too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
haha i noticed.

so what about stuff other than listening techniques? like things that you do that make your mixes YOUR mixes?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

when I am adding a plug or a different eq I will close my eyes & click the plug on & off fast & randomly, enough times that I don't know if it is on or off.
I then click it in & out slowly to try & see which is better or if i can hear much difference
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing special but I have my bad Philips boombox on the side of my mixing spot some
3 meters away and can send monitoring there by a mouseclick

Matti
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
This is ESSENTIAL in my world.

Another good one is to mute certain groups of things., like guitars. Listen to how the drums, bass, vox, keys and misc without guitars. It tells you a lot. Then no bass, or no vox, or no drums.
Old 10th September 2011
When mixing a project, start with the song that you like least and make it your favorite.

-A
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Before I start, I like to listen to a bunch of well-recorded songs in the studio I'll be mixing in. Sort of warms me up, like an athlete doing stretches.

Biggest tip from me, constant breaks. Give your ears a rest.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search