The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NY nearfield monitor shootout Studio Monitors
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
and you can tell all of that on the floor of the AES show, really?
I was actually there at the very end while things were quieting down and it was actually surprisingly quiet around. I brought a variety of mixes I am very familiar with (both good and bad mixes) and I felt like I got a good representation of the monitors. So, yes.
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Maniac

So DP is good for home listening?
Old 28th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
I was actually there at the very end while things were quieting down and it was actually surprisingly quiet around. I brought a variety of mixes I am very familiar with (both good and bad mixes) and I felt like I got a good representation of the monitors. So, yes.
I would say your kidding yourself unless you put them in your room.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
So DP is good for home listening?
Yes
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I would say your kidding yourself unless you put them in your room.
Sorry but I have to disagree. I had the barefoots in my room for years and heard them at AES and they are still the same speaker no matter where I hear them. I know what I heard and if I heard all of them in my room I'd still have the same opinion. The ATC's sounded too clinical for me. And the PMCs sounded very musical. I highly doubt this opinion will change by hearing them in my room.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry but I have to disagree. I had the barefoots in my room for years and heard them at AES and they are still the same speaker no matter where I hear them. I know what I heard and if I heard all of them in my room I'd still have the same opinion. The ATC's sounded too clinical for me. And the PMCs sounded very musical. I highly doubt this opinion will change by hearing them in my room.
Perhaps in the mids-to-highs.

But on the low end (and to lesser extent, low-mids), the room has a HUGE effect. This is somewhat lessened in nearfields, IF you're sitting in the near field. In an open type environment, like AES, the low end perf is gonna vary wildly from the enclosed environment of your studio. Even with nearfields.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Perhaps in the mids-to-highs.

But on the low end (and to lesser extent, low-mids), the room has a HUGE effect. This is somewhat lessened in nearfields, IF you're sitting in the near field. In an open type environment, like AES, the low end perf is gonna vary wildly from the enclosed environment of your studio. Even with nearfields.
Thats not nearly as big of a factor for me as the way the speaker presents the sound and the overall character of the speaker itself. When listening to a heavy metal track the ATCs just sounded too gentle and not forward enough for me. I dont think that is going to change with the room. The PMC's on the other handed to me were very musical sounding on all types of material. So far for me though I feel most comfortable on the Genelec 1031A's. To me they have an x factor I haven't found elsewhere. To me they just seem to be the most appropraite tool for the nearfield job alongside Yamaha NS-10's. Are the barefoots more revealing. Yes absolutely. But nonetheless the Genelec's just seem to me exactly what I want to hear from my nearfields on any material I put through them. Its more in the presentation and sound character then anything else for me. I think all of these monitors are excellent and any can be used to get the job done.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear
Also almost any time I hear a mix that catches my ear and I have to find out who mixed it it almost always turns out to be Andy Wallace. He is my favorite. I dont think its a coincidence he uses Genelec 1031A's either. I think those monitors just push the mixes in a certain direction that appeals to me.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats not nearly as big of a factor for me as the way the speaker presents the sound and the overall character of the speaker itself. When listening to a heavy metal track the ATCs just sounded too gentle and not forward enough for me. I dont think that is going to change with the room.
As I mentioned, I was talking about the lows, not the mids. You say the ATC's weren't 'forward enough', so you're talking mids, and if so, you misread my post.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

For ****s and giggles the test should include some lower end, common brands. The Yamaha HS50/80m's, KRK Rokits, M-Audio, Mackie, etc...etc...

There are precious few resources that accurately report on lower priced pieces of gear. Since these pieces would probably be pretty easy to come by, I think it would help out a lot of folks on here.

If they suck, then we have a reference, if they work well, then we can be pleasantly surprised.

As long as the test is impartial, and/or blind, it would be a great effort towards having an actual resource to point to for questions.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo0815 View Post
For ****s and giggles the test should include some lower end, common brands. The Yamaha HS50/80m's, KRK Rokits, M-Audio, Mackie, etc...etc...

There are precious few resources that accurately report on lower priced pieces of gear. Since these pieces would probably be pretty easy to come by, I think it would help out a lot of folks on here.
Well, all of those are all set up at any guitar center or other similar music store, so pretty easy to audition for yourself, which will be way more accurate to what you like than any other 'source'.

Sure not the best environment, but they're all in the same environment at least.
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
As I mentioned, I was talking about the lows, not the mids. You say the ATC's weren't 'forward enough', so you're talking mids, and if so, you misread my post.
No I got you. I was just saying that the difference in low end from room to room is not going to change my mind. And I was saying that the character and the way the speaker presents the sound is what counts to me. And thats more in the fact the the genelecs and PMC's are two ways vs. the Atc's and being threeways and the Barefoots with the subs on the sides. And also how each speaker handles dynamics. And also the voicing and separation of the instruments of each speaker. I much prefer the 2 way genelecs over the 2 way Dynaudios no matter what room I listen to them in and I've heard both in several rooms and it has made no difference to my opinion about each of them. Again I was just saying that the room is not going to change my mind when it comes to these factors.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Maniac

It didn't work out at all, I presume.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search