The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UPGRADE by selling what I have, not breaking the bank? Ribbon Microphones
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

UPGRADE by selling what I have, not breaking the bank?

Hey yall, long time lurker here, first time poster. Havent been on the gear scene in awhile, so wondering if there's anything out there, perferably gently used, that I may be able to upgrade my sound quality without spending a whole lot after selling my current converter/interface...Right now I am running a Tascam FW-1884 as an interface, with a Lucid 8824 converter going into it. The tascam is just an interface, dont really run much audio through it, as I use outboard preamps with the lucid. I used cubase to record, and dont really care much about control surface capabilities. So anything come to mind that might sport better converters and interface capabilties that can be gotten around the ~1k range, which is an estimate of what I could probably get out of both units on ebay? I dont mind throwing a few extra $$ in there, but i'm definintely on a budget. Thanks in advance for the input,,,
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

so no new converters or interface have come out within the last 10 years? Or is my setup so awesome that nothing can com close for a grand or 2?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Lucid make good converters I really like their sound,
they are up there with Apogee and the higher end RME stuff!!

A lot of people round here will tell you to go with Lynx converters,
but IMO they are all of the same quality they just have a slightly different sound and if your just recording at home, your money can be better spent elsewhere.

When you say upgrade your sound quality what do you mean?
are you looking to give your tracks more punch with some colour or are you looking for more transparent audio?

I would firstly start playing around with your mic techniques and then start to take a look at your pre amps for different flavours, because those Lucid's are great sounding converters.

You won't get 2 grand for a Lucid and Tascam, I bought a used 8824 for £600 about 2 years ago.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

No ,I said I expected to get about 1k for my setup, then put a few $$ with that...I have a decent setup with decent pres (Blue Robbie and Jensen era Presonus M80, modified with AD op amps), decent mics (Audix D series mics for drums and Baby Bottle for vocals). I guess I'm just looking for a bit more clarity in the mixes. Alot of it probably has to do with the fact that my soundproofing is convoluted mattress pads I definitely dont want to just replace stuff to replace stuff without getting a noticeable difference..The Lucid maxes out at 48kHz, didn't know if there had been something better within the past few years that would give my recordings a boost and maybe save alittle space in the process..
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

any opinions on the metric halo? Would that be an upgrade from what I am using now?
Old 10th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty D View Post
any opinions on the metric halo? Would that be an upgrade from what I am using now?
only the really new ones.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Metric Halo is mac only just so you know the uln-2 dose have really nice pres very nice headphone amp very good DI as well not sure about by passing the pres to get to the converters there might be a work around on that have to research that a bit, the press are clean very nice. If older ones have the 2d upgrade they are like the new ones. I have uln-2 with the dsp and the lio with 4 pres love them both might sell the uln-2 in the near future my hackintosh is starting to crap on me going to try to get it fixed will see, also running cubase 6. Also the converters are top notch royer 121 & 57 and i get whats coming out of my amp I spend a lot of time working on my tone it's nice to get it on the daw the way it's going in. I am sure that i am missing the benefits of the dsp because you build your own plugins but I have some waves plugs and to lazy to work on building my own. Then thers the mixer,character,Halio verb,channel strip I will admit there is a lot to this box I have not delved into yet.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Well it sounds like I'm doing pretty good until I'm ready to dish out a few grand more...pretty much right? Those spiders look amazing but when i saw the prices....ouch. I just built a new rackmount pc so if the halos are only mac...scratch that..
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
I kind of have a rule about buying gear....either sell what i have i might not need that much, use money i made from working with bands and lastly I never match or put up more than $400 of any of my money. I know I can make that back easier in a month. So if a band gave me $500 and I put up $400 of my own I could spare I could maybe get something cool...If not, then I get more bands to work with or sell something. It'll keep you floating above water and drive you to work harder, plus no debt. However we do have to start somewhere so if you have the money and really don't have much at all and know you can make it back, that first time simple expense is an acception sometimes, but be very strict and get only what you need.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search