The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound through higher end mixer Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sound through higher end mixer

Working first itb and then otb with a Mackie mixer, one thing I noticed is that I was never quite fully in love with the sounds, from soft synths and to a lesser degree even hardware synths.

Based on research on this forum, I picked up a Ramsa mixer that was about 5k back in the day. It was pretty cheap, but huge, and I barely managed to fit it in my work area.

Now having used it for a few weeks, I've made a strange realization. I love the sound of anything coming out of this thing. It definitely slightly muffles/alters the original sound, but it makes it sound less harsh and more pleasing to my ear, more like a song that I might hear on the radio.

I have a really fun workflow now where I use a vsynth xt and a really cool effects board and man, within just like 10-20 minutes I can find a preset, tweak it with effects and then I have a really pleasing sound that I've never heard before. With this combo I have a hard time making a sound I don't like, honestly.

This ramsa is like the secret sauce isn't it?
Old 8th September 2011
I got some better converters, an 8ch broadcast mixer, ssk clone and k+h eqs and havent looked back since. On the eqs I dial up the juice in the mix plus make some cuts, glue it a few db with compression and am only doing 1/4 of the plugin tweaking i used to do itb... Mix comes together MuCH faster
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
WARNING: this thread will soon be hijacked by plug peddler shills who will tell you that you are crazy, that what you are hearing is just in your imagination, or that you're just one of those antiquated old farts who just "can't do it ITB".

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
WARNING: this thread will soon be hijacked by plug peddler shills who will tell you that you are crazy, that what you are hearing is just in your imagination, or that you're just one of those antiquated old farts who just "can't do it ITB".

No, this thread is gonna be hijacked by me saying Yeah, man! Those old Ramsas are the ****! They got tons of color which makes them perfect for hybrid setups. Wait till you use the pres. Those are just sick! My only problem is now that I wanna expand and increase my channel count past 24, finding an adequate replacement for my Ramsa in the sub-10k price range is nearly impossible. I'm seriously considering just getting another one and daisy-chaining them.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez View Post
No, this thread is gonna be hijacked by me saying Yeah, man! Those old Ramsas are the ****! They got tons of color which makes them perfect for hybrid setups. Wait till you use the pres. Those are just sick! My only problem is now that I wanna expand and increase my channel count past 24, finding an adequate replacement for my Ramsa in the sub-10k price range is nearly impossible. I'm seriously considering just getting another one and daisy-chaining them.
Yeah, haven't tried the pres yet. Look forward to that. Right now I do have a hybrid setup so it does seem to be perfect so far.

I tend to use all of the following together which is a pretty simple setup I think:

Vsynth xt
Motif xf6 (favorite keyboard)
Maschine (from computer through neve clone compressor into mixer)
One other soft synth of my choosing (send through mixer too)

Simple setup but I have to set a lot of limits or I don't ever get anywhere. The magic is my effects board that let's me set up amazingly complex effects almost effortlessly. I think I need at least one more of those.

I have some other hw synths, but haven't integrated them into my setup.
Old 9th September 2011
I am not an old fart, I am 22, I have been brought up on plugins ITB, DAW.

I love working on a desk, I did 2 years of live sound work 2 nights a week, steady. The speed that you can do somethings on a desk is great. I hate patching outboard, I know that sounds stupid, but with plugins I can work faster, and when I gotta mix 4 songs in a day, those seconds count, auditioning different plugs takes seconds, and I don't have to juggle the fact that I only have 6 neves or 2 1176s.

However my OTB mixes always sound better if I have the freedom to spend equal time on them. They should DO mind! 48ch Prism into 4048G+ with a ton of 1176s,distressors,LA2A,Chandler,Manley, Neve, Bricasti, EMT 140, Lexicon etc.

But that led me to wonder why sometimes just splitting the same 36 tracks out at unity sounds better than ITB, it just sorta feels more organic and natural, whatever psychoacoustic trickery is at play, I've done it enough times to know something is happening and its not just better converters. So now I have a 16ch SSL summing mixer and Amek Bullet that I occasionally when I have a project that suits it gets thrown into the mix, and there is definitely something mushing things up. In a good way, very natural.

ITB is still great, and the recall means it gets used on probably 70% of the stuff I do, but those days I get to power up the SSL in the big studio are probably the best....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search