The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live recording set up for future venue TIPS. first post ! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Live recording set up for future venue TIPS. first post !

hi there,
looking to open up a venue with sound reinforcement obviously but also on the fly live recording, as an additional service. I want to do this in the simplest way possible, wanted to get some advice.

idea as of now: run all the direct outs on the board (thinking along the lines of A&H Zed series) to a 24 chan audio interface, including a permanent hanging house pair to capture the mix in the actual venue. the live mix between the board and the house pair will be the final recorded mix, which I would like to record live to a CD using an Alesis Masterlink or something like that.

anybody got any better ideas or see flaws with this set up? or possible gear suggestions? I can't seem to find a 24 channel interface with simply stereo balanced outs. thanks!

Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanbar View Post
hi there,
looking to open up a venue with sound reinforcement obviously but also on the fly live recording, as an additional service. I want to do this in the simplest way possible, wanted to get some advice.
Then check out the forum dedicated to this very topic: Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording - Gearslutz.com
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you're looking for simple (and it's local bands, regional artists), why not just take a 2-track feed off of the console. I've been out with touring artist that are happy with the quality of those recordings.

As a matter of fact, I'll be out with Ben Kweller and We The Kings tomorrow in DC making 2-track master buss recordings. I have a few copies that I posted on my website of prior shows (We The Kings, A Rocket to the Moon, Mayday Parade, Valencia) if you want to take a listen.

The problem really comes in, if you're looking to later mix these, you may want some type of control of the direct outs level... I don't know how the A&H is setup (maybe you can control that direct out level separately), but whatever level is being monitored per channel is likely going to be coming through the direct out. What this ultimately leads to is a subpar/perhaps even a good FOH coming in using your system and he/she clipping the channels (obviously because they need more kick drum hah) and then you get clipping on the recording if you're not watching the levels in real-time.

You could run a separate split from the stage box (isolated split at that), and have a separate spot where you can set levels for the recording as well with different preamps.

Hopefully that gets you started.

- Sean
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Sean,
I like the two track idea, didn't consider it but that makes sense for the dry board signal, much simpler. However, the venue will be medium sized so the PA will not be reinforcing everything, a lot of stuff will be coming through like drums sounds, amps, etc. The board is for a little reinforcement. With that in mind, the EQ's and levels on the board will be to compensate for the room and will probably end up sounding terrible as a stand alone recording. What kind of mic'ing set up would you suggest to capture how the PA sounds in the room, to blend with the dry/clean board signals?

- Coleman
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Also, want to keep it as simple as possible so even though the split and separate pre-amps would be better quality wise, it isn't practical for me space and efficiency wise. And I'm not worried about going back and mixing or having control these are just gonna be quick and dirty CDs on the spot
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search