The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLA Vocals Panning As Insert On Track? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

CLA Vocals Panning As Insert On Track?

Wondering how people here generally handle the pans when inserting Waves CLA vocals directly on a lead vocal track. Do you have both pans center, or L&R?

If the vox needs to be center as a lead should, how is this best set up? What's the point of the software having the stereo spread parameter on the plug if you keep it straight up center?

Using it as a send does not sound as good as having it as an insert or a bus, in my limited experience (just recently purchased).

Thanks all.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I dont use his plugs, but the premise that a lead vocal should not have width doesn't make sense to me.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I always end up with my vox on a stereo track...always.

I usually pan it at about 25/25, but each song is a little different.

My stuff is pretty sparse so I like to give the vocals a little extra real estate. It's just another thing to tweak to get those vox to make me smile at mix down.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good timing!
I was given the task of recreating a CLA mix last night to create stems for a band's live show and TV mixes, as CLA doesn't make stems.

The prospect didn't fill me with joy given how much he spanks stuff with lots of amazing gear, and me with just a PT rig to work on.

Thankfully the Rig I was working on had the Waves CLA stuff installed.

After dropping the CLA plugs on the prominent tracks (mainly drums, and vocals), and adding some SSL G Comp and Pultec EQ's to the Mix buss I got to the point within 2 hours where I was forgetting whether I was listening to the original CLA mix or my recreation.
They are all designed to be insert plug-ins.

Gob-smacked. Obviously it took a bit of futzing around but I was amazed how close I could get it in such a short amount of time using mainly his standalone inst plug-ins. It took a couple more hours to get the fader rides close.

In answer to the OP (finally!) the vocal plugin keeps the vocal in the middle but adds stereo reverb, delay and width processing, hence the switch from a mono track to a stereo track.
Some of his plugs have a pan control at the bottom of the input fader. It is a bit annoying that some don't for whatever reason, so you have to mess around with stereo track panning rather than 1 pan pot. I guess the idea is you use a stereo plug-in on a buss (i.e. Toms) which will retain the original panning.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
Good timing!
I was given the task of recreating a CLA mix last night to create stems for a band's live show and TV mixes, as CLA doesn't make stems.

The prospect didn't fill me with joy given how much he spanks stuff with lots of amazing gear, and me with just a PT rig to work on.

Thankfully the Rig I was working on had the Waves CLA stuff installed.

After dropping the CLA plugs on the prominent tracks (mainly drums, and vocals), and adding some SSL G Comp and Pultec EQ's to the Mix buss I got to the point within 2 hours where I was forgetting whether I was listening to the original CLA mix or my recreation.
They are all designed to be insert plug-ins.

Gob-smacked. Obviously it took a bit of futzing around but I was amazed how close I could get it in such a short amount of time using mainly his standalone inst plug-ins. It took a couple more hours to get the fader rides close.

In answer to the OP (finally!) the vocal plugin keeps the vocal in the middle but adds stereo reverb, delay and width processing, hence the switch from a mono track to a stereo track.
Some of his plugs have a pan control at the bottom of the input fader. It is a bit annoying that some don't for whatever reason, so you have to mess around with stereo track panning rather than 1 pan pot. I guess the idea is you use a stereo plug-in on a buss (i.e. Toms) which will retain the original panning.
Mark, thanks so much. Just to be clear: with the CLA Vocals plug on the lead vox asan insert, leave the stereo pans hard R&L? And the vocal will still be in the center?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriele3 View Post
Mark, thanks so much. Just to be clear: with the CLA Vocals plug on the lead vox asan insert, leave the stereo pans hard R&L? And the vocal will still be in the center?
Yes. It will stay centre as long as you keep the stereo pans at the same relative position left and right. It's just the effects that will narrow as you pan in.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
Yes. It will stay centre as long as you keep the stereo pans at the same relative position left and right. It's just the effects that will narrow as you pan in.
Wonderful elucidation. Thank you so much. I understand it now.
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

cla does stems

"It’s always a six-pack and it’s always printed through the Apogee Symphony at 192kHz."
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search