The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best midi controller for controlling plug-ins in Pro Tools 9 Keyboard Controllers
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

best midi controller for controlling plug-ins in Pro Tools 9

I am looking for the best MIDI keyboard for Pro Tools 9 that will enable me to map any parameter on any plugin, be it a virtual instrument or an EQ etc.

The best option seems to a Novation since it comes with software that allows you to map any parameter:
Novation 25 SL Mk II (25-Key) | Sweetwater.com

A salesperson told me that in order to map the parameters the novation "wraps" the plug-in and duplicates it, so you are essentially using a completely new plug-in. Is that how it indeed works? If I try and bring this session into another studio that doesn't have a Novation, will the plug-in not work? That would be no good.

Are there any other controllers that have software that allows you to map any plug-in parameter in PT?

I was hoping to see what your experiences are with the Novation or any other controller for mapping plug-ins in Pro Tools 9. What is the best and most flexible? Thanks for your help!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure this is not possible in PT for all plug-ins. Certain instrument plug-ins have this capability, but I don't think I've seen it much for signal processing plug-ins (unless it's something they've added very recently).

-Ben B
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
I'm pretty sure this is not possible in PT for all plug-ins. Certain instrument plug-ins have this capability, but I don't think I've seen it much for signal processing plug-ins (unless it's something they've added very recently).

-Ben B
Thanks Ben. I am pretty sure that with the software the novation comes with, you can control even signal processing plug-ins. I'll report back when I've tried it out.

Anyone else have experience using the Novation with Pro Tools plug-ins?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just read the description, and it appears that you might be correct. I wonder if it uses HUI protocol. My understanding is that PT plug-in parameters cannot be controlled by simple MIDI CC assignments, which is why I made the comment in my previous post.

-Ben B
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
I just read the description, and it appears that you might be correct. I wonder if it uses HUI protocol. My understanding is that PT plug-in parameters cannot be controlled by simple MIDI CC assignments, which is why I made the comment in my previous post.

-Ben B
Hey again Ben,

I believe the Novation does use HUI protocol for DAW control. It doesn't use MIDI CC assignments in Pro Tools, in actually "wraps" the rtas plug-in with its own software code in order to control parameters.

I believe it creates a new version of the plug-in. i.e. plugin-A.dpm will be renamed plugin-A (automap).dpm

My biggest concern and fear is that this would not allow me to open sessions in other studios...as the studio plug-in will have a different name. I can't find anywhere on the internet a definite answer to whether or not this issue exists.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedclutter View Post
I am looking for the best MIDI keyboard for Pro Tools 9 that will enable me to map any parameter on any plugin, be it a virtual instrument or an EQ etc.

The best option seems to a Novation since it comes with software that allows you to map any parameter:
Novation 25 SL Mk II (25-Key) | Sweetwater.com

A salesperson told me that in order to map the parameters the novation "wraps" the plug-in and duplicates it, so you are essentially using a completely new plug-in. Is that how it indeed works? If I try and bring this session into another studio that doesn't have a Novation, will the plug-in not work? That would be no good.

Are there any other controllers that have software that allows you to map any plug-in parameter in PT?

I was hoping to see what your experiences are with the Novation or any other controller for mapping plug-ins in Pro Tools 9. What is the best and most flexible? Thanks for your help!

I had exactelly that piece of gear - seriously poor performance - after spending hours of unpleasant work to get it going several times I sold it - the best I could do. Once it worket fine - the next time you were in trouble again (that was my only piece of gear creating such problems, the other stuff worked just fine).

Now I'm in the very nice situation to not needing something like this anymore as I record to a Radar via an 40 channel ADT 5MT console which has it all, so no more plugins, just the real thing hehhehheh IT'S SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN WORKFLOW AND SOUND!!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Hi hauntedclutter,
Man, I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner. I have the Novation SL MkII 25 and, to make a long story short, I found your thread while googling up opinions on midi controllers because I want to throw that piece of crap in the trash! DON'T GET IT!!!!! I hope its not too late. Here are a few comments. First, Novation is owned by the same company as Focusrite. They collectively have the worst software "department" in the industry as far as I can tell. To be fair, its probably some poor schmuk whose ignorant bosses are trying to get the work of 10 guys out of him to increase profits and he's doing the best he can. But the s/w is ALWAYS out of date (doesn't work properly with whatever you're using) and is pretty poorly written in the first place. Very amateurish. Their customer service is second only to Avid's and Native Instruments in absolute uselessness. And you're gonna NEED them baby!!! Things start going bad at installation and go down hill from there. And it will never get any better because by the time they come out with a software update, it will be so late that it won't accommodate all the OTHER things that have changed in the mean time. And, the hardware itself is pretty cheap. The "touch pad" is so bad I have to use a screw driver to get it to respond and customer service tells me, this is normal - its "not too good". The mod/controller lever doesn't sit in the rest position correctly and causes a "warble" while just sitting there unless you flick it a couple times. This stuff is absolute CRAP. Anyway, there you go - an input from an actual user for what its worth. Good luck my friend!!
Old 10th September 2011

yeah - it's pretty clumsy. Sort of works but then doesn't. I was asked to endorse it. Couldn't on this occasions.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Hi hauntedclutter,
Man, I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner. I have the Novation SL MkII 25 and, to make a long story short, I found your thread while googling up opinions on midi controllers because I want to throw that piece of crap in the trash! DON'T GET IT!!!!! I hope its not too late. Here are a few comments. First, Novation is owned by the same company as Focusrite. They collectively have the worst software "department" in the industry as far as I can tell. To be fair, its probably some poor schmuk whose ignorant bosses are trying to get the work of 10 guys out of him to increase profits and he's doing the best he can. But the s/w is ALWAYS out of date (doesn't work properly with whatever you're using) and is pretty poorly written in the first place. Very amateurish. Their customer service is second only to Avid's and Native Instruments in absolute uselessness. And you're gonna NEED them baby!!! Things start going bad at installation and go down hill from there. And it will never get any better because by the time they come out with a software update, it will be so late that it won't accommodate all the OTHER things that have changed in the mean time. And, the hardware itself is pretty cheap. The "touch pad" is so bad I have to use a screw driver to get it to respond and customer service tells me, this is normal - its "not too good". The mod/controller lever doesn't sit in the rest position correctly and causes a "warble" while just sitting there unless you flick it a couple times. This stuff is absolute CRAP. Anyway, there you go - an input from an actual user for what its worth. Good luck my friend!!
Thanks rus5! It's not too late. I put off getting a controller until next week, so that I could do more research. I'll definitely skip the Novation. Are you looking for a new controller? I mainly use Pro Tools, so I'm looking into possibly getting one of the Axiom Pro controllers instead of the Novation. Thanks again for the warning!I appreciate it!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Hi hauntedclutter - you're definitely welcome! Yeah, I'm a PT guy too (also Ableton Live). And I'm thinking of the Axiom Pro too! I can't seem to find too much about it one way or the other but if it works at all its got to be better than Novation-garbage. I liked the idea of Automap being able to intelligently map to the DAW if it had only worked worth a damn. From what I can see, the Axiom Pro is the only other controller that claims to do something like that so I might give it a try. I think if it weren't for that, I might try the Akai MPK61. It looks pretty well thought out and made but I think you'd have to map everything by hand (guess I'm lazy). They did a nice job with my APC40. Anyway, good luck to you!!
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Head

I don't know if anybody is still paying attention to this thread but just thought I'd add that I actually got an Axiom Pro 61 a week or so ago and so far, so good. Its in an entirely different universe than that Novation **** its replacing. I'm a classical pianist so all electronic keyboards feel "funny" to me; this one no worse than any others - but I can't say I especially like that part of it. But I expected that and everything else is pretty good. It does what they say it does and seems to work pretty flawlessly. It's made far FAR better than the Novation garbage of course, and it simply works. Cool! (again, so far...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search