The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha MG series vs Yamaha 01v mixers? Mixers (Analog)
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yamaha MG series vs Yamaha 01v mixers?

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with both the Yamaha 01v desk and the Yamaha MG series desks?

I currently own an MG 166CX which I use for live and miss having more auxes, gates and parametric eq's etc.

I have the option of buying an 01V for less than what the MG166CX costs so I could possibly sell my 166CX and pretty much break even!

What are your thoughts / experiences about this?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

ALL I can offer is that when I compared the Yamaha MG's to a few other "inexpensive" consumer boards, soundcraft epm, A&H zed-14, The yamaha was very very ****ty compared to the others I tried.

That being said, The 01V is a lot better then the ones I have mentioned. Very clean, but more solid and robust sounding than the ones above.

should make for an upgrade
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

01V Hands Down!

I agree with passenger. 01V hands down. The MG series in my opinion is an entry level console. If you can break even with cost then by all means go for it!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'll add that behringer, although pieces of utter ****, sound better than the yamaha MG's.... but the yamaha MG's are tough and almost never break down.

01v's occaissional issue's with the displays.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bought an 01v and it arrived yesterday. It's in great condition and came with the analog expansion card already installed and also has the original manual.

I paid £300 for it which seems like quite a good deal?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

That is a very cheap O1V. I still hate them though. Way too many menus to get anywhere.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Big thanks to those that recommended getting the 01v.

I've been spending some time getting used to it through my JBL rig and have been very impressed.

I used it on it's first gig tonight and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found I got a significantly better sound with it than my MG166CX. I also found it very easy to navigate around and got a better sound as quick as using my old MG.

For £300 I am feeling very chuffed
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Guru
I have an old MG 10/2 mixer that I'm using more as a router feeding line level in. Patching my synth and a UA 610 before going into a finalizer for DA conversion into my recorder. Is this a bad thing to do in terms of degrading the signal? Basically looking for clean signal. Some say the boards are ****, some say OK. Not using as a mic preamp since I have the 610 and a DBX I use for mics. Opinions welcome, not sure if I'm overthinking this.
Old 20th February 2015
Here for the gear

Curious as to how a 17 year old 01V is still better than the newer MG series

I have a 01V I got years ago on eBay. It still works great, but its bulky and heavy. I was considering replacing it with something more modern, lighter, with better computer connectivity, etc. I was looking at the Yamaha MG series and came across this thread. I'm curious as to how/why a mixer as old as the 01V could be so much better than its modern counterparts. Is it because the 01V is professional and the MG is prosumer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search