The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is SSL X-Rack a dead investment over 500 series?? Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's a funny x-rack story.

A few years ago more and more projects were requesting tape as the recording medium and I realized I did not have enough gates/expanders for mix downs etc. After a little research I thought the best bargain was the SSL stuff for around $700/unit with the added bonus of a compressor!

So I bought four of them and noticed I started using the compressors a lot (even though I have a lot of esoteric/cool options). Just simple to use, sound good, no fuss, and recall.

Anyhow, to make the long story short, after 8 months I sold the x-rack and bought a SSL 6000E/G+ insteadheh
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Here's a funny x-rack story.

A few years ago more and more projects were requesting tape as the recording medium and I realized I did not have enough gates/expanders for mix downs etc. After a little research I thought the best bargain was the SSL stuff for around $700/unit with the added bonus of a compressor!

So I bought four of them and noticed I started using the compressors a lot (even though I have a lot of esoteric/cool options). Just simple to use, sound good, no fuss, and recall.

Anyhow, to make the long story short, after 8 months I sold the x-rack and bought a SSL 6000E/G+ insteadheh
Hah, fun story Their goodness forced you to upgrade even further. Very slutty of you. How are you liking your console? Must be glorious I hear you on the gates btw. I really like the gates/expanders on the E series dynamics I have. Great on snare and kick. They just seem to keep the signal less choked and a bit more natural than the software gates I have. Very simple to dial in with great results. - paul
Old 13th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
....Anyhow, to make the long story short, after 8 months I sold the x-rack and bought a SSL 6000E/G+ insteadheh
Nice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search