The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bock 195 Issue Condenser Microphones
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Bock 195 Issue

I was recently in the market for a new microphone and decided to try the Bock 195. When the mic arrived I plugged it in and tried it as a drum room mic. It was distorting like mad do I put the pad in and it sounded great. Moved on to vocals and with out the pad it was still distorting and the guy wasn't really singing loud. I thought this was wrong as I have never had to pad a quiet vocalist before so I sent the mic back. They sent me another which behaves exactly the same. I tried it on some vocals that were pretty much at talking volume and it was still distorting. I tried the mic on several different pre's and the outcome was the same. Could anyone help me out with this.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi, Can't really help you. But I do know that my 195 doesn't distort that easily.
Used it on vocals and drums, without problem.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

That's what I wanted to hear because my suppliers are saying that is normal and I don't believe it is.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not normal.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks guys, any one else with any ideas?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

...why not send Dave Bock a PM about your issue?...he's a great guy and a member here on GS:

Gearslutz.com - View Profile: dbock

...click on "contact info" to send a PM...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks, I have sent him a PM
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parloursound View Post
That's what I wanted to hear because my suppliers are saying that is normal and I don't believe it is.
Not even close to normal.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

find other suppliers.
if they don't know how the gear they selling is supposed to behave, dont bother with them. obviously the mic doesn't work in your situation, get your money back and go elsewhere..
Old 8th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

We have used them on drums, guitar cabs...you name it. Something odd is going on. It is perplexing that you got a replacement though, and same issue?

Does padding the pre matter?

War
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

I didn't try padding the pre because the level never got anywhere near clipping the pre, it was distorting before that
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
They sent me another which behaves exactly the same. I tried it on some vocals that were pretty much at talking volume and it was still distorting. I tried the mic on several different pre's and the outcome was the same.
I have a U195 and it has never exhibited this behavior. I never need the pad on a vocalist. Lots of people have this mic and love it. What other LDCs do you own? Do you know anyone else who has a U195 you could visit and compare the two?

I would be curious as to what is downstream from the U195.
What preamps do you have and what settings are they on? If you turn the preamp way down, is there a change in the amount or character of the distortion?

the fact that it is the same with a second U195 and the same with different preamps is very weird.

maybe these unnamed 'suppliers' sent you back the same mic, thinking you were imagining things?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi,

We own loads of mics already and don't have the problem with any others. Tried it on Neve portico, API 3124 and the pre's in my Audient console. It was definately and new mic because it arrived on the same day as the old one was collected.

They have offered me a refund and said they all behave the same but I really wanted this mic.
Old 8th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Just for giggles...try padding the pre or putting an inline pad before it?

War
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

I am afraid I don't have an inline pad but I will try putting the pre pad in over the weekend
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Off the wall guess here-- is it an electrical issue- like U.S. is 110 and U.K. is 220?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Bari View Post
Off the wall guess here-- is it an electrical issue- like U.S. is 110 and U.K. is 220?
It's not a tube mic. It requires phantom power but not a power supply.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

The suppliers have said they have sold plenty in the UK with no problems. They also say that they all are behaving the same.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
The suppliers have said they have sold plenty in the UK with no problems. They also say that they all are behaving the same.
time to name names
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bock mics have a very good track record, I have had five over the years between his Soundelux and Bock's. All sound great and are super reliable. I am perplexed.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

I don't want to name names as that is not what this is about. They have been an excellent supplier over the years and like I have said they have offered me a refund. I am just puzzled by this issue.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

OK, well the plot thickens. I went to the studio today to try the mic with my good friend Russ Russell who is a pretty well known AE. Through the Audient pre's we thought the mic sounded pretty clean with a slight "edge". We then tried on the API pre's and there was a much more unpleasant and distinct edge that I was hearing as distortion. On the Neve portico pre this was even worse. I then took the mic home and tried it on my Mbox and to be fair I couldn't hear any distortion or edge on my headphones. Any ideas, could it be some sort of wiring thing or impedance?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

We have two at my studio. I've never heard one distort. Something is not right. They tend to need more gain than say an 87, but they always sound great.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have one of the Soundelux U195 models for more than 8 years now and use it as my main LDC mic. Sometimes on FOK I use the pad, but hardly ever on vocals - never heard the mic distort.
Use it with CHandler TG2. BAE321A and Yamaha 02R96 mic pre's - no big difference related to the mic.

Must be something strange happening.

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK, well the plot thickens. I went to the studio today to try the mic with my good friend Russ Russell who is a pretty well known AE. Through the Audient pre's we thought the mic sounded pretty clean with a slight "edge". We then tried on the API pre's and there was a much more unpleasant and distinct edge that I was hearing as distortion. On the Neve portico pre this was even worse. I then took the mic home and tried it on my Mbox and to be fair I couldn't hear any distortion or edge on my headphones. Any ideas, could it be some sort of wiring thing or impedance?
What type of mic cables are you using? Are they quad or 2 conductor? Our 195 does not behave that way either. Hmm....
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

They are just standard 3 pin xlr cables with 2 cores

Any other ideas?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
at this point, it might be helpful to post clips

the portico vs the M-box vs the Audient

perhaps your definition of distortion is different from others...

While I really like mine, I sometimes find the U195 to be too sibilant for some singers, but I don't usually call this 'distorting'. Just 'essy'. I would interpret the word 'edge' as a high midrange emphasis but again, I could hear a lot of edge before I thought of it as 'distortion'. But maybe it's just where you draw the line...
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

There was alot of edge on the API's and to fair on the Neve I would call it distortion, definately not right.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

I bought one with the same problem two years ago. Just returned and the new one was fine. It's a very good sounding microphone but it's very inconsistent, It acts and reacts differently in every session, sound wise, level wise, sometimes it drives me nuts.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixnova View Post
I bought one with the same problem two years ago. Just returned and the new one was fine. It's a very good sounding microphone but it's very inconsistent, It acts and reacts differently in every session, sound wise, level wise, sometimes it drives me nuts.
I am completely mystified by these remarks. Mine has always worked fine and is totally consistent in an acoustical and electronic sense.

It is not always the most appropriate mic for every singer, but I can almost predict which ones it will be good on, and certainly it never changed level or sound character all by itself.

this thread is the first time I have heard these types of complaints.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search