The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Selling my blue kiwi and getting shure sm7b (what sould i expect sound wise)? Dynamic Microphones
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Selling my blue kiwi and getting shure sm7b (what sould i expect sound wise)?

Im all about the low end theory these days,well...that and i need money.
Sold my lynx 16 vt neve 1073 dpa and my fatso, getting an apogee duet 2.
Now...i want to sell my blue kiwi mic and get one of the best value for money mics insted of it...the shure sm7b.
Ill be using the shure for EVERYTHING but mostly male vocals and acoustic guitar recording.

My question is:
Should i expect a HUGE change in quality when recording vox and acoustic guitar,or will the shure's adventages bridge over the differences between the two mics and ill be able to enjoy it as well and get good quality recording with?

Thanks!

P.s whats the difference between sm7b and sm7?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

You should expect something very different...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Congrats! The SM7 is a very versatile mic and has a similar response to the SM57. Expect to use a lot of gain. heh Soundwise, well it depends on the singer. It sounds pretty good with loud vocalists like Hayley Williams of Paramore. It was used on Brand New Eyes.

“Most of the time we used a Shure SM7 on Hayley,” Cavallo notes, “just because she’s really loud and she sounds great on it! I think it’s one of the best rock-and-roll mics you can have, and it’s not even that expensive.”

Rapid-Fire Visionaries: With Producer Rob Cavallo onboard, Paramore looks beyond their power-punk comfort zone with Brand New Eyes, Bill Murphy
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
You should expect something very different...
Thanks alot man,i learned so much from your replay and not only about shure and blue ,but on life and the fabric of the universe itself both micro and macro,i didnt expect to learn so much on raw sexual energys like the ones you transmited thourgh 15 pages of gearsluts forum info regarding the question i raised.

Thanks you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart (who wasnt strong enough to withstand the magnitude of your answer).

I AM IN DEBT TO YOU...SIR.

Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn View Post
Congrats! The SM7 is a very versatile mic and has a similar response to the SM57. Expect to use a lot of gain. heh Soundwise, well it depends on the singer. It sounds pretty good with loud vocalists like Hayley Williams of Paramore. It was used on Brand New Eyes.

“Most of the time we used a Shure SM7 on Hayley,” Cavallo notes, “just because she’s really loud and she sounds great on it! I think it’s one of the best rock-and-roll mics you can have, and it’s not even that expensive.”

Rapid-Fire Visionaries: With Producer Rob Cavallo onboard, Paramore looks beyond their power-punk comfort zone with Brand New Eyes, Bill Murphy
Thanks man!
You really strenghten my hunch twards getting the shure
Good luck on more great musical projects along the way
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

As stated before, these mics WILL sound very different from each other. You're going to lose a lot of that top end airyness (only on GS is that even a word) particularly on acoustic guitar. I love my Kiwi for this (and condensers in general), but the SM7B isn't going to absolutely suck for that application. It'll just be...different. Sorry. But that's the truth of it. Also previously mentioned is the ridiculous amount of gain you have to throw at the SM7B. That mic loves gain like a fat kid loves cake. So have at least one decent outboard pre with a significant amount of gain available. Both mics are great for vocals. It just depends on the voice you're putting them on. But you've heard all that before. I've had the choice between a U87 and an SM7B on various sessions and quite often, wound up choosing the SM7B based on what it sounded like on THAT voice. Anyway, both mics are a great choice and you should be able to get good results with either one. If you don't have another good LDC, you may regret getting rid of the Kiwi though. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to have both in my mic locker.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffzillla View Post
As stated before, these mics WILL sound very different from each other. You're going to lose a lot of that top end airyness (only on GS is that even a word) particularly on acoustic guitar. I love my Kiwi for this (and condensers in general), but the SM7B isn't going to absolutely suck for that application. It'll just be...different. Sorry. But that's the truth of it. Also previously mentioned is the ridiculous amount of gain you have to throw at the SM7B. That mic loves gain like a fat kid loves cake. So have at least one decent outboard pre with a significant amount of gain available. Both mics are great for vocals. It just depends on the voice you're putting them on. But you've heard all that before. I've had the choice between a U87 and an SM7B on various sessions and quite often, wound up choosing the SM7B based on what it sounded like on THAT voice. Anyway, both mics are a great choice and you should be able to get good results with either one. If you don't have another good LDC, you may regret getting rid of the Kiwi though. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to have both in my mic locker.
Hmm thanks for the intresting opinion.
Hmm i wonder ,could you compare you expirience with u87 vs blue kiwi while were at the subject?
Old 8th September 2011
It will be like change from condenser to dynamic ...obviously, could be painful
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe i should get a blueberry always liked that good value for money mic.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you use the mic right, you can get great recordings of a singer on a Shure SM7b. It needs to be right up in the singer's face, and if you move out of that spot, it goes quiet fast. Very different from working with a LDC. As others have said, it needs lots of gain (compared to a condenser).

Acoustic guitar is a different story. If I were to make the switch you are contemplating, I would feel more of a loss when recording acoustic guitar than when recording my voice. You can get OK results on acoustic guitar with an SM7b, particularly if you are playing loudly. For quieter stuff, it is going to be more of a struggle to get a strong signal. Overall, though, the transient response is what I notice when I try to use a dynamic on acoustic guitar. Dynamics soften the transients. Combine that with the natural focus on midrange that dynamics have, and you can get some pretty boring, boxy sounding acoustic guitar recordings if you are not careful. But, again, there are folks who pull it off and get great sounds on acoustic guitar with this mic. Just understand the mic's limitations and strengths and plan accordingly.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Like was said earlier you're going to lose a bunch of high end and airiness. I own both the kiwi and the sm7b. I would never sell the kiwi and rely on the sm7b for all my vocals normally tracked through the kiwi. I absolutely love the sm7b though, it's a great mic on almost anything I've ever thrown it on, but to me it doesn't have close to the detail, sparkle and bigness the kiwi has right out the gate.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
Hmm thanks for the intresting opinion.
Hmm i wonder ,could you compare you expirience with u87 vs blue kiwi while were at the subject?
The U87 is a little more mid-forward. The Kiwi has a little more air to my ears. Again, it all comes down to the voice you're putting it on. I love my Kiwi and I'd never think of letting it go. I don't own a U87, but have used them on many sessions. And for quite a few sessions, I've had the choice of both. (And the SM7B) We've all heard so many recordings made with the U87 that it's sort of like a sonic fingerprint on our brains. We KNOW the sound of that mic, so when we hear it, the familiarity can make us say, "That's it! That's the vocal sound I've been looking for!" The Kiwi is a slightly different animal, but in no way is it the weaker of the two. The U87 is a fine mic and I've got nothing bad to say about it. It's on my short list of mics to buy. But honestly, I don't feel I'm at a disadvantage having the Kiwi and not the U87.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

By the way, the Blueberry would be an excellent choice as well. Great for both vocals and acoustic guitar.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

the Sure SM7b is great on loud Vocals, and ruff vocals.... I love the smoothness it ads to my Vox.... check the you tube link in my sig and you will hear the mic in action..... hope this helps....
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd get another mic like a 57 for acc. guitar. Sm7 ain't no microphone for strummin' .
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I find using dynamics on acoustic guitars doubly limiting, in that their pattern (most of them being Cardioid) combines with their lack of transient capture to produce a very narrow sound. It always feels like i've only captured one part of the guitar. Cardioid SDCs, however, sound more open to my ears, even if their pattern is narrower.

If I was going to use an SM7B on acoustic, I'd pair it with an SDC, preferably an omni one. Fortunately, they're cheap, and I'm sure you could afford one. Get a Little Blondie, or a Red12 or something.

But you really ought to try an SM7B first. Hire one. Go to any recording studio for an hour. Won't you feel a bit stupid if the SM7B totally doesn't suit your voice? Why would you want to get rid of a mic that you already know works with your voice for an unknown, which isn't exactly the ideal guitar mic anyway?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

+1 for the above comment. Owning some kind of SDC will open up your options for acoustic instruments no end. I do like the SM7 on some voices - when it fits the voice it's lovely. But I think if you invested in a decentish SDC your setup would be much more versatile. I needn't cost you the earth either. Models by SE, Rode and the like provide very good bang for buck and will provide you with an option with much clearer top end and more detailed transient response on acoustic guitars.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks alot for all your comments you guys!

Conclutions:
I might not get and sm7b cause an acoustic guitar is the foundation of almost every song of mine: ( The official outrun pierto web site. )
But...i might still sell my kiwi and get a blueberry...or akg c414...

What do you think?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Expect a monumental let-down. tutt
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Those are good mics, but the fact that the Kiwi works so well in your situation (and that it's an excellent mic), it may be hard to transition to something else especially if you aren't able to test it out for all your applications first. I'd say if you can somehow keep the Kiwi (and maybe sell something else instead?), that's what I'd do.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffzillla View Post
That mic loves gain like a fat kid loves cake.
That just made my sig line! LMAO!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
Those are good mics, but the fact that the Kiwi works so well in your situation (and that it's an excellent mic), it may be hard to transition to something else especially if you aren't able to test it out for all your applications first. I'd say if you can somehow keep the Kiwi (and maybe sell something else instead?), that's what I'd do.
Ditto. You know, selling some stuff and buying other stuff to replace the stuff you just sold is no way to either make or save money. You never get what the stuff you sold is worth, so "trading down" is inherently a bad financial idea. If you are also going to have trouble finding a mic to meet your needs as well as the Kiwi seems to, then it makes a lot of sense to look for other ways to solve your financial pinch. Keep the Kiwi and find something else less useful to sell.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

I do NOT like the sm7 on acoustic guitar. the RE20, MD441 do well though, for me

on voice, well yes, less air, but if it's the right voice it could be nice. the SM7 has a certain even richness to it
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
That just made my sig line! LMAO!!
You're welcome. LOL

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search