The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the rule on selling crap left at the studio?!!!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

What's the rule on selling crap left at the studio?!!!

I'm sure we have all been there..... I'm cleaning out my studio of all the odds and ends I never use and have things that were left here by other people. I have contacted them and get no response. I just want it gone. Should I sell the stuff and hope they never come calling for it? I know the moment I do this they will but I don't want all this sitting here taking up space for another 3 years.Uggg Sorry, just venting....
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

How bout one last notice with a warning?
Old 8th September 2011
if you have their number call them and tell them they have one week, or just sell or throw it away. if they left it there they either dont care or forgot u have it. if you dont have their number, well ill take it. lol is it cool crap or crap crap.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
It is still not your property, so you have to give them due written notice (say, about 14 days) to pick up their stuff, otherwise it will be sold to cover the cost of storage to date.

And, no, an email is not written notice!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Call everyone, tell them this is their last call. You need room to expand your space and asking everyone to pick up their stuff. They have 1 week from the phone call to pick up their stuff. Other than that, there is little you can do.

I`m in a similar circumstance, I have old ADAT tapes lying around from sessions 10 years ago! I need to contact my clients too.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

You should probably send a certified letter with receipt. This way you can prove the recipient received the letter. At work, we have guitars left in our repair shop sometimes, and this is what we do.
Old 8th September 2011
Deleted 651cf92
In the uk, lost property has a one month probation time, you don't need to make an effort to contact the owner, but you should just for morel reasons. After that it is fair game.
You wouldn't believe the things that I have got from the bar I work in.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Christ View Post
You should probably send a certified letter with receipt. This way you can prove the recipient received the letter. At work, we have guitars left in our repair shop sometimes, and this is what we do.
good answer!

to the OP: you can't just chuck it or sell it NOW, because you have already contacted them. So you can't play dumb if they come around later. And you can't really just enforce some Mystery Deadline that you did not tell them about.

The certified letter is a great idea because it could include a deadline- 2 weeks, a month and THEN you will sell it, and you are Covered. Include a flyer for the big Studio Auction you are having!

There is also something very sobering about a certified letter, IMO. It makes people sit up and pay attention in the way that an email, voice message or post card does not. I know I feel that way when I get a certified letter.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is exactly why my studio contract states that anything left on studio grounds becomes property of the company if abandoned for more than 30days.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurelletson View Post
In the uk, lost property has a one month probation time, you don't need to make an effort to contact the owner, but you should just for morel reasons. After that it is fair game.
You wouldn't believe the things that I have got from the bar I work in.
prototype iPhones?

Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Had an Orange Tiny Terror left here for over 18 months. Was pretty gutted when the band eventually came back to pick it up.
Old 8th September 2011
Deleted 651cf92
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Not quite, but I did find a laptop left by some banker that was full of company accounts and all sorts, also a program for trading on the stock Market.
None of it was password protected!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Anything left overnight is company property lol

this mainly refers to stuff in the refrigerator tho
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

The problem is after awhile I don't know who's stuff it is, and keep in mind I have a personal studio I held on to a ARP string machine for over 10 years and one day mentioned it to a ex-band member who knew exactly who's it was and I returned it. You can't go wrong doing the right thing - so send a certified letter, hang on to it, do some due dilligence.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Smoove View Post
Anything left overnight is company property lol

this mainly refers to stuff in the refrigerator tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane thaw View Post
I held on to a ARP string machine for over 10 years ..
I held onto a ham sandwich for 10 years, until I was able to locate the rightful owner.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

To protect yourself, I'd mail a 30 day notice by registered mail
with return receipt.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

If the band leaves cocaine, do NOT sell it.

tutt
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
This is exactly why my studio contract states that anything left on studio grounds becomes property of the company if abandoned for more than 30days.
Many repair shops have that same policy. It is reasonable, if stated up front.

Anyone saving the stuff for a future claim ought to add storage fees on top, after a certain amount of time those will wash out any remaining value. No one is paying you to make space and store that stuff, storage yards charge too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search