The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
if higher sample rate doesnt matter then why .... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
[...]

Or to put it bluntly - maybe the reason I'm immovable on this is cuz I've got a fuc.king PhD in the area.
I think we need to let narco get off the merry-go-round for a while and go hang out by the kooch dancers. Watch out for the one with the boa constrictor, narcoman. One or the both of them is reputed to be a man-eater.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I've never heard that term before.

Perfect.
wackamole ??
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
The only thing necessary to overcome the intersample peak problem, from the standpoint of dac design, is already implemented in many products [and certainly in the higher quality ones]. Its old news. Namely, the dac is implemented with sufficient headroom in the analog to enable any intersample peaks to be reproduced without clipping or otherwise distorting.
Considering OAG maintains the entire concept doesn't even exist, someone may want to tell Wolfson Microelectronics, who have long offered a "Anti-Clipping" mode than digitally reduces the signal 2dB prior to D/A conversion.

This is in the chip itself, and it's worth mentioning that you can have all the analog headroom in the world post-DAC, and it wont save you from internal clipping.

Naturally, this takes the ultimate measured performance down by the same amount, but I hear rumors there are lots of masters that run right up to 0dBFS.

DC
Old 21st September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I think we need to let narco get off the merry-go-round for a while and go hang out by the kooch dancers. Watch out for the one with the boa constrictor, narcoman. One or the both of them is reputed to be a man-eater.
gibber gibber.

wibble wibble.

Okay - calm now. Sorry for the 'ttitude....
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
gibber gibber.

wibble wibble.

Okay - calm now. Sorry for the 'ttitude....
Don't get me wrong. I laughed out loud. Particularly since I have some vague understanding of how much time and effort can go into the getting of a PhD.

Still, I think we're well beyond appeals to common sense, authoritative knowledge, logic or scientifically accepted principles and facts.

Which is what made it so funny.

Like I said 7 or 8 thousand posts ago, I'm amazed by your patience and good humor -- and I certainly hope folks like Mandy -- and even the Ocean guy (sorry, Mandy, I couldn't resist -- but I have to say your mea culpa on the Ocean thing made me like you a lot more ) appreciate that patience and humor -- and how incredibly generous you are in trying to share that big, fat knowledge base you've clearly collected up there between your ears, particularly when you could have easily shrugged and walked away.

Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
wackamole ??
Another most useful concept for describing certain phenomena, to be sure.

I'm a little too old to have grown up with the idea (apparently the game first appeared in 1976) but I have seen it played. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whac-A-Mole
Old 21st September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
wackamole ??
like it!! Kind of like a nuts idea crossed with a tortilla chip dip.
heh
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
heh
Fish tacos have appeared in this thread. Now guacamole. I'm thinking it must be time for snacks...
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Kia - ora and cornetto anyone? Or maybe an um bongo!
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
Kia - ora and cornetto anyone? Or maybe an um bongo!
Must be some kinda Geordietalk.

heh
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Why aye man :+) or old fellas cinema(pictures) interlude ! Pearl and dean theme anyone? Pass me those bongos!
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Why aye man :+) or old fellas cinema(pictures) interlude ! Pearl and dean theme anyone? Pass me those bongos!

To spare my fellow Statesiders... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_%26_Dean

I note that, "the initial staffing of Pearl & Dean was by members of staff of Theatre Publicity and Langfords (The Rank Organisation) [...] "

I happen to be watching a J. Arthur Rank Presents film right now, the 1952 foreign intrigue flick, Assassin, with Richard Todd.

Small world.
Old 21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Great minds link alike!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Jinx
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
heh
The term is for a kid's game at an American pizza chain (ChuckE Cheeses) where animal heads (of moles) pop up through holes in a tabletop and the kids try to knock them back down with a hammer. The evil drunkard way of playing was to sweep the hammer parallel to the table surface. This is perpendicular to the motion of the mole and a direct hit will bend the rod the mole is mounted on, keeping it from going back down below the table. Then the drunk can repeatedly tee off on the wounded mole until it crumbles to bits. "Bits" takes this back on topic, sorta, and the mole's apex was our intersample peak. Figure out who the drunkard was that knocked the tops off the intersample peaks and win a free slice of Chucky Cheeze pizza!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Like beermats in the pooltable pockets
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Great minds link alike!
My first response to most stimuli is to google them.

And that usually forks into two paths... one leading to Wikipedia and the other leading to YouTube.

Who sez neo-post-meta-literate culture has to be hard?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Woah blue 1 no disrespect intended but i think that does count as a double dog jinx no jinx back situation
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
The term is for a kid's game at an American pizza chain (ChuckE Cheeses) where animal heads (of moles) pop up through holes in a tabletop and the kids try to knock them back down with a hammer. The evil drunkard way of playing was to sweep the hammer parallel to the table surface. This is perpendicular to the motion of the mole and a direct hit will bend the rod the mole is mounted on, keeping it from going back down below the table. Then the drunk can repeatedly tee off on the wounded mole until it crumbles to bits. "Bits" takes this back on topic, sorta, and the mole's apex was our intersample peak. Figure out who the drunkard was that knocked the tops off the intersample peaks and win a free slice of Chucky Cheeze pizza!
Now that was neo-post-meta-literate.

Your explanation of what I guess we can call the evil drunkard method actually makes sense of several tableaux I witnessed in pizza joints in my long ago young adult years... I could never figure out what those guys were doing but I knew I didn't want any part of it. And now I know.

But I really became acquainted with Whac-a-Mole as a concept frequently peppering talking head speak (the TV 'expert' type, not the David Byrne type). Those TV military/security analysts seem to love to describe asymetric warfare as being like a game of Whac-a-Mole. (We can only wonder if maybe some of those guys weren't the drunken frat boy types I probably saw banging sideways on the 'moles.')
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Woah blue 1 no disrespect intended but i think that does count as a double dog jinx no jinx back situation
I'm not even sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Does jinx no jinx cancel out?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

My groundhog post
was a reference to the 90'S Bill Murray film in which he plays a weatherman .....
He does end up trying to twat a groundhog like in whackamole .if only he'd known the drunk sideways swipe technique he could have made another ghostbusters
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Like I stated no double dog jinx in the digital domain
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

By the way how can you tell I'm a geordie? And how do you even know the term? I thought we were referred to as inter england scotland peaks which we all know do not exist!
Old 22nd September 2011
Quote:
My groundhog post
was a reference to the 90'S Bill Murray film in which he plays a weatherman .....
He does end up trying to twat a groundhog like in whackamole .if only he'd known the drunk sideways swipe technique he could have made another ghostbusters
I got the Groundhog Day reference, and actually saw the movie, which is kind of amazing because one of my rules has always been to avoid movies with former Saturday Night Live performers in them. More amazing, I enjoyed it. I think I was just in the right mood.

Funny thing, I'd completely forgotten the groundhog, itself... despite the fact I think I've seen the marketing image for the movie -- which features the groundhog -- about 200,000 times in the years since the flick came out. It's apparently a perennial rental.
Old 22nd September 2011
Quote:
By the way how can you tell I'm a geordie? And how do you even know the term? I thought we were referred to as inter england scotland peaks which we all know do not exist!
I just hear a Geordie accent when I read your posts.

Also, your avatar area lists your location as Newcastle-on-Tyne. heh

I was pretty sure that made you a Geordie, at least by location, but I did double check Wikipedia just to make sure. Sadly, I've never been to the UK but I've had a lot of friends and coworkers from Britain as well as a handful from Ireland.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Fair cop
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

As long as i divn't sound like Sting te ya :+)
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyvect View Post
  • As samples are dependent on time, an accurate clock is required for accurate reproduction. If either the encoding or decoding clock is not stable, its frequency drift will directly affect the output quality of the device.[note 3]
and that's the argument I make against using really high fs like 192khz etc, because as the machine operates more and more quickly, clock stability is compromised, and voltage is not as precisely measured... and it has nothing to do with "the state of the technology" -- it's a real physical limitation that simply cannot be overcome (unless there's some as-yet-undiscovered "warp field" equivalent in the audio realm )
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Back to our regularily scheduled programme:+)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search