The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Check your AC adapters! Dynamic Microphones
Old 7th September 2011
Check your AC adapters!

I've had a Mindprint DI-Port for years and was never all that impressed by it. It was a little noisy and too quiet for how much noise it was making. I leant it to a friend ages ago and had all but forgotten about it until I read about it in the wanted section here. After reading about its headphone amp I decided to get it back off my friend and give it a try. After all it might be a perfect match for my k-701s...

Turns out my friend wasn't too impressed with it either as it was sitting in the bottom of a draw. To top it all off he had lost the little pin connector off the AC adapter. "Oh well, I'll just buy a new one" I thought. So I looked at the adapter, looked at the DI-Port and noticed the old adapter that had shipped with the unit was only 12v, 500ma; The DI-Port says 12v 700ma.

I ordered a 12v 1000ma adapter, got it yesterday and have to say I'm now blown away by this unit. The pres work really well with a 57, a mic I've struggled to get the best out of before. They sound a bit muddy with an sm7b and a ribbon, but hey, it's like I just scored 2 free pres! They also wind right around the dial without anything but the faintest (quite cool sounding) hiss at full volume. The headphone amp is great, my K-701s have really opened up. In fact I can't turn them up much past 2-3 without it getting too loud. I was not too far from buying a DAC1 so I'm glad I tried this first!

I'm a bit disappointed that this unit shipped with the wrong adapter, but I'm glad it's working now and feel like I've got a good, new piece of kit for the couple of $ spent on an adapter. My advice to you all, check your adapters!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search