The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How a Choir Works Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

How a Choir Works

Another very good programme currently available on iplayer.
It covers from not just churchy choir basics, it goes onto pop music, discuss about acoustics and you even get to see Rowan Atkinson as a conductor.

BBC iPlayer - How a Choir Works
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

That sounds awesome! Unfortunately, the clip is only available to browers in the UK. But a cool find regardless.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

there are clips floating on youtube...

Looks like a great show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmb7lKd8zuM
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool, that's helpful. I wonder how much depth they'll go into. Having just done an article on Ennio Morriconne's work with Alessandro Alessandroni I'm kind of addicted to interesting choral sounds at the moment.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Having just done an article on Ennio Morriconne's work with Alessandro Alessandroni
Say what? Is this something we can read somewhere?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Symphonic Choirs...

For anyone interested in choirs, and especially here on GS where we are all recording in our home studios, you owe it to yourself to investigate the East West Quantum Leap's "Symphonic Choirs" software. With this software you can actually have a full choir (MANY types, Male, Female, Mixed M/F and Boys) sing the actual words that YOU type into the "WordBuilder" program. At first a lot of people were saying the words are not well pronounced, (and I was one of them) but, I simply had not spent enough time learning how the editor works to manipulate the vowels and consonants...my bad. Once you get a handle on the manipulation of the Votox language of syllables you type in, it starts to get VERY realistic, in fact amazingly so. Wish you could have seen the look on my wife's face when the choir sang her name! LOL. You don't have to know Votox to get started. You can simply type in the English words at first. But...Votox is more realistic and not at all hard to learn. In fact the English words you type in are automatically converted to Votox at first (explained nicely in the video tutorials). Then you can tweak the Votox for even more realism.

A couple of years ago this program was pretty buggy as WordBuilder was a separate plugin that did not easily interface with the East West Play Engine. Now that problem is solved as the WordBuilder is an integral part of the Play Engine and it works amazingly well. To me it seemed difficult at first, but then I found they have a 3 part tutorial on how to use it and I highly suggest anyone interested download that tutorial. As with most tutorials this makes it really easy to understand. Also check out their demo samples of the choir songs. I'm truly amazed how this works. And it DOES work!

Here's a link to the application >> Symphonic Choirs Virtual Instrument

And here are the QuickTime Symphonic Choir tutorials:

Part 1 >> http://media.soundsonline.com/tutori...ial-Part-1.mov

Part 2 >> http://media.soundsonline.com/tutori...ial-Part-2.mov

Part 3 >> http://media.soundsonline.com/tutori...ial-Part-3.mov
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search