The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors Studio Monitors
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Monitors

Im working my way from student to professional home studio and I think its time to get new monitors. What do you think is a fair price for a stereo pair of speaker with a very flat response. My mind right now is around 1k for the pair, will that be good enough, or in your opinions should I dig a little deeper?

Also, what are some speakers you would recomend?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, you can get a great set of monitors for that price.

I will not recommend any particular brand as I am sure there will be many suggestions. One thing I would not do is buy them based on the feedback you get here without actually hearing them first. You should be able to audition a few somewhere in FL. before you buy, huh?

Besides distributors, I was also able to hear a decent selection from other gearslutz posters who offered their time and studio free of charge.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
I understand what you mean, I've learned its all opinion by now, but I gotta have direction before I know where to go looking. lol And some manufacturers are known for flat response, thats my main reason for asking.
Old 7th September 2011
When you say you want a "very flat response", 1k is a pretty slim budget for serious speakers. You really should have at least 2k to spend, and depending on your room size (i.e. if it's bigger than 11x12) around 3.5k.

It's true you can purchase speakers at the 1k level but as your monitoring is probably the single most important portion of your studio, buying lower end speakers is not the way to go.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
When you say you want a "very flat response", 1k is a pretty slim budget for serious speakers.
Could you please explain your definition of serious here? To imply that anything under 2K is not "serious" is ambiguous and could be very confusing. Thanks.
Old 7th September 2011
I'm also trying to find a pair of monitors for around a grand. I've heard Dynaudio's BM6A mkI and was very impressed. Other options I'm not sure about are Adams A7 or A7x and NS10m's plus amp. I'm definitely leaning towards the Dynaudio's simply because I've heard them before and I know I like them.

I would also like to hear more suggestions.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Could you please explain your definition of serious here? To imply that anything under 2K is not "serious" is ambiguous and could be very confusing. Thanks.
Amplifiers, speaker drivers and solid enclosure boxes cost money..

$1k is getting you pretty much bottom rung drivers, budget chip amps and chipboard boxes.

Budget amps can sound ok , though they may lack grunt and fall apart when pushed due to poor power supplies

Budget drivers usually have smaller magnets and thinner spiders so they add distortions and will probably be paired with more simple x-overs.

Budget enclosure boxes can rattle away in time with the bass and cause distortions.

paying more will get you higher spec drivers, better amplifiers and boxes made out of a more suitable material.

Saying that, I liked my old Fostex PM2 mk2 monitors which can be had for around that price, though they lacked the finer detail that higher priced stuff gets you. They quacked the same basic noise but moving up the ladder opens up the ability to hear each layer of music more clearly.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Im working my way from student to professional home studio and I think its time to get new monitors. What do you think is a fair price for a stereo pair of speaker with a very flat response. My mind right now is around 1k for the pair, will that be good enough, or in your opinions should I dig a little deeper?

Also, what are some speakers you would recomend?
Bare in mind that a speaker with a response of say +/- 2db across most of the range could be sitting in a room which has +/- 20db of difference across the range in your listening position because of the rooms acoustics.

If getting a flat response is important to you, the speakers are only half the story.
Old 7th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

I don't know about flat, but workable with good bass response = Yamaha HS80M.

War
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
Amplifiers, speaker drivers and solid enclosure boxes cost money..

$1k is getting you pretty much bottom rung drivers, budget chip amps and chipboard boxes.

Budget amps can sound ok , though they may lack grunt and fall apart when pushed due to poor power supplies

Budget drivers usually have smaller magnets and thinner spiders so they add distortions and will probably be paired with more simple x-overs.

Budget enclosure boxes can rattle away in time with the bass and cause distortions.

paying more will get you higher spec drivers, better amplifiers and boxes made out of a more suitable material.

Saying that, I liked my old Fostex PM2 mk2 monitors which can be had for around that price, though they lacked the finer detail that higher priced stuff gets you. They quacked the same basic noise but moving up the ladder opens up the ability to hear each layer of music more clearly.
A perfect response. Thank you.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

So, there you go JoRillo.

You are never going to find a pair of monitors with flat response for around 1k. They are obviously all crap at that price. Unless you can cough up at least 2 grand you had better put your ambitions aside and realize that it's gonna cost you a lot of money for you to hear what you are looking for.

God forbid your thousand dollar "bottom rung drivers" and "rattling budget boxes" should start grunting and then fall apart due to cheap crossovers. Wait for a "suitable material" before you take the plunge.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, there you go JoRillo.

You are never going to find a pair of monitors with flat response for around 1k. They are obviously all crap at that price. Unless you can cough up at least 2 grand you had better put your ambitions aside and realize that it's gonna cost you a lot of money for you to hear what you are looking for.

God forbid your thousand dollar "bottom rung drivers" and "rattling budget boxes" should start grunting and then fall apart due to cheap crossovers. Wait for a "suitable material" before you take the plunge.
so $30 chip amps , $20 drivers and thin chipboard boxes are well known for their "flat" frequency response/low distortion and are perfectly acceptable to use in a "professional studio" as the OP requested ?

I never once said the speakers would fall apart - I was talking about the sound once the power supplies reach the limits. I was stating the obvious differences between speakers made within a low budget compared to more costly designs. If you don't believe in the harsh reality of parts cost cutting and know of some speakers which fit the OP requirements then I'd love to hear them.

I've heard quite a few smaller/cheaper monitors and the only decent monitors I've heard at under £1000 a pair (I have no idea what price they are in the USA) are the smaller Genelecs and JBL LSR 6325P, both have 5" bass drivers so need a sub.

Maybe you know more ?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Likewise i won't tell you to get a specific pair, but what i will ask:
What are your room dimentions? What are the floor/walls made of?
Do you have any treatment (that isn't foam)?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Likewise i won't tell you to get a specific pair, but what i will ask:
What are your room dimentions? What are the floor/walls made of?
Do you have any treatment (that isn't foam)?
I'm moving out of my apartment in a couple months, so this is plans for the future, but I do plan on treating the room as best as I can when I have picked it out. I'm leaving an apartment and getting a house so studio can finally get a little loud. lol
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe you know more ?
Maybe many do.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe many do.
many probably do , but It's your amazing wealth of information that I'm most interested in. or maybe not
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
many probably do , but It's your amazing wealth of information that I'm most interested in. or maybe not
Thanks Yoda, I am flattered.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, of course if you spend more you will get (probably) better specs. But, to suggest you cannot get a pair of "serious" monitors for around 1k that are flat and detailed is utter rubbish. My current favorite in that price range are Neumann KH 120s - seriously heh
Old 8th September 2011
I would love to hear some actual suggestions rather than arguments...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

For the price quoted, on all round performance and with the caveat you can't thrash them, the "Blue Sky Medias" are as good they come. Other speakers might better them in specific areas however, taking everything into consideration, they are rather fine speakers at a price that doesn't make one wince.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
Well, of course if you spend more you will get (probably) better specs. But, to suggest you cannot get a pair of "serious" monitors for around 1k that are flat and detailed is utter rubbish. My current favorite in that price range are Neumann KH 120s - seriously heh
+1 for the KH 120's, they will soon become the new near-field's reference, absolutely fantastic for their size.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search