The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors, Monitors, Monitors - Time for an Upgrade Studio Monitors
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Monitors, Monitors, Monitors - Time for an Upgrade

Started off with a pair of M-Audio BX8as they've served me well for the past 4 years but now my ears have woken up I can't really get along with them.

The imaging is nice for a budget pair but the highs are just killing my ears, and the lows could be tighter. I've had a play around mixing on a pair of JBL LSR 4326 but the monitoring environment I was in wast really bad, so I couldn't hear them shine...

Could any one recommend me a few to test out? I'm after something that's brutally honest, which has tight lows, pleasant mids & smooth highs. Good for monitoring just about any style of production.

I was thinking about:

* KRK VXT8s

* DYNAUDIO BM 5A MKIIs

* JBL LSR 4326

Any info or experience appreciated
Old 7th September 2011
Focal Solo6 or Twin6 will do everything you asked about. I use the Twins every day and couldn't be happier.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Definitely give a listen to the K+H/Neumann family - I love my O300s, and while I haven't heard the two-way 120, people seem to like 'em a lot.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

pmc tb2s+
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Our studio got rid of its focals. To me they had the same kind of problem as genlec's. They just didn't lead us to great mixes. Of course, YMMV. They're certainly well-made speakers. But I don't always find that helpful in mixing.

It seems whenever these threads come up end up I schilling for ADAMs. They've just helped me (and many engineers whose work I admire) get great-sounding mixes.

Anyway, the important thing here is not whether ADAMs or Focals or KRKs or a-cereal-box-taped-to-an-ice-cream-cone is the right decision. The important thing is that you should go out and listen to a bunch of these ASAP. The most important opinion is your own.

Only one word of warning: If you get speakers that already sound like what you like to hear, you won't do all of the things to a mix that make you valuable. You'll just like the way everything sounds sooner than usual, and that'll be that.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
Definitely give a listen to the K+H/Neumann family - I love my O300s, and while I haven't heard the two-way 120, people seem to like 'em a lot.
Yep. Recently got the Neumann KH 120s - amazing detail, extremely neutral, brutally honest. Tested against Adams and Dyns (5 inch models). Both sounded hyped in the highs and lows and very inaccurate. I would stay far away from those.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
Yep. Recently got the Neumann KH 120s - amazing detail, extremely neutral, brutally honest. Tested against Adams and Dyns (5 inch models). Both sounded hyped in the highs and lows and very inaccurate. I would stay far away from those.
I would agree that the Dyns tend to have much more happening in the highs than I'm comfortable with. I've found each of the ADAMs I've heard to have quite the opposite of hyped highs. Of course they do have many different models so maybe there's one I haven't heard that sounds that way.

Anyway, I am curious to hear those Neumanns soon. Thanks for reminding me. Let me know how you're liking them in a year or so!
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

arkahtek said.......

i would go with the jbl 4328.(in my opinion)... i have a pair of these and they are true flat response monitors..meaning what comes out of those speakers is what your mix would actually sound like...so for example after you mix that next platinum hit, and take it to the car or your home stereo..your mix would translate the same as you heard coming from the jbl..they also have room correction software with a mic(all inclusive when you buy it) so basically if your room is not treated, this feature make the monitor adjust to your room acoustics.Before the jbl, i had the alesis m1 mk11 which i mixed on, they were also really good or the best in their price range under $600, only thing is the alesis cant be driven for too long before a woofer or tweeter go out... happens after about 2 years. a quick note to remember, if you demo a monitor and it sounds amazing..most times the mix does not translate well..yeah the base is thumping or the highs or mids bring out the vocals in the mix...so what do you do, turn down the base in the mix or turn up the highs or mids etc.. then when you go to the car or stereo,little no base on your mix,or too much/little highs,mids etc.. the keywords are flat reference monitors..good luck my friend.
Old 8th September 2011
I thought you might be interested in reading this thread:
Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
Old 8th September 2011
Just got the Neumann KH120a's. Tried them out quickly today in my new studio. All i can say is WOW. Within five seconds they just blew me away. Detailed, neutral,smooth. with incredible stereo imaging. All that the others have said about them is true. I'm very,very happy. I had considered Adams, Focal and Sonodyne before i went for the Neumann's. Glad I did. They are just perfect for my studio.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkahtek View Post
i would go with the jbl 4328.(in my opinion)... i have a pair of these and they are true flat response monitors..meaning what comes out of those speakers is what your mix would actually sound like...so for example after you mix that next platinum hit, and take it to the car or your home stereo..your mix would translate the same as you heard coming from the jbl..they also have room correction software with a mic(all inclusive when you buy it) so basically if your room is not treated, this feature make the monitor adjust to your room acoustics.Before the jbl, i had the alesis m1 mk11 which i mixed on, they were also really good or the best in their price range under $600, only thing is the alesis cant be driven for too long before a woofer or tweeter go out... happens after about 2 years. a quick note to remember, if you demo a monitor and it sounds amazing..most times the mix does not translate well..yeah the base is thumping or the highs or mids bring out the vocals in the mix...so what do you do, turn down the base in the mix or turn up the highs or mids etc.. then when you go to the car or stereo,little no base on your mix,or too much/little highs,mids etc.. the keywords are flat reference monitors..good luck my friend.
I also have the JBL's and LOVE them.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
I thought you might be interested in reading this thread:
Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
Interesting thread, I wouldn't mind giving those ago. Your mix sounds good too. Neumann 120s are also tickling my fancy now. As for the JBLs I'll wait for my friend to Finnish the referb oh his studio before I have a play. Not going to be getting my new set up until around November so I've got plenty of time to plan everything out. So long as the mix translates across I'll be sooo happy.. The amount of times I've kept going back and forth with the Bx8as is silly, but it's not too bad now I know them and compensate for their sound - but even so, there's still times when I have to keep readjusting. Reverbs & other effects just don't come through well enough, keep having to switch to headphones to monitor them.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTinkle View Post
Interesting thread, I wouldn't mind giving those ago. Your mix sounds good too.
Thank you for you comment on my mix. I've been there trust me, I have wasted too much time and money, the only think that I didn't like about the focal is that it toke me almost four weeks to get them, other than that they great and I do trust them no more surprises if you know what I mean!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sure am lovin' my DSM3s... and they're cheap as whiz as now, too.

M-Audio DSM Monitors
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

really impressed with the BM 5a Mk2 compared to the Focal CMS 50 and Mackie 624 that was sitting next to it at my local music shop

Mackie = lots of bass and top end, sounded like a hifi speaker, flabby, fatiguing
Focal CMS 50= muffled!
BM 5A MkII = tight, open detailed sound
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search