The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2011

Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you'all know my wife and I have decided to move back east to Raleigh, North Carolina. I have lived in LA for the better part of 25 years with no family and honestly having no family has never really been a major issue for me until we had our son, then all of a sudden being on the west coast just started to feel weird, the thought of my kids growing up with no family members around just felt wrong for us. Then a series of family tragedies happened capping off with my dad's death have just changed things. It has been a rough year or so emotionally. Now my wife is 16 weeks pregnant with our second child and it is time for a change. LA has been good to me on many levels but it's time to go, I will still have to travel back to Hollywood from time to time for work. I have spent some of the past few months figuring out a career/work game-plan. My career is cranking in full swing out here so I just have to get some of it to translate to NC. I teach voice, produce and write a lot now on Skype.

We found a beautiful house with a perfectly built out 1200 sq ft brick basement for the studio with a bedroom, kitchen and full bathroom with shower in it, so out of town clients will have a place to stay with it's own entrance. We'll have a large control room and 2 live rooms to produce, mix, teach voice, write songs etc.. One of the live rooms is big, it'll great for drums. So I will still be able to make records in the fashion I am use to. I have gone back and forth with what to do with my SSL console and I have decided to take it to Raleigh. I have a new business model for online mixing, something I can do in NC and stay connected to music world.
SSL Mixing Online | Official Site

I am also really excited about playing again, Raleigh has a great cover band scene, I already found a working cover band in the Raleigh area I will be singing and playing guitar for. Gigging in LA is torture to me, I just want to play in a fun/make a few bucks cover band that sounds good. No drama, no pay to play, no have to bring 60 people a night etc... I have lived in the studio non-stop for a decade and need to sling a guitar, sweat a little and have some damn fun. I miss playing music so bad and this is another reason for the change.

Anyway, this is a heavy experience guys and I vacillate between being excited and terrified. One of upsides is my bills are going to go down by about 70%, which honestly is exciting. My overhead right now puts me in a position where I have to eat, sleep and drink work. Which has been energizing to me for many years but has gotten old the past year or so now that we have kids. I'm hardly ever home.

So there you have it, some people have asked if I'm gonna change my name to James 'NC' Lugo. lol I guess we'll see. I only put the LA in there cause my first username of James Lugo was hacked into by a disgruntled fired bass player many years ago. Maybe I will just go back to JL.

We will be in North Carolina November 1st. Jules and Gearslutz have always been good to me so I just wanted to let you guys in on what's happening. I need to hook up with the NC gearslutz and get my crew going in Raleigh. There seems to be a cool music scene in NC, so it will be an adventure navigating through it and finding my way. If anyone on here is in the area hit me up.

Your friend,
James
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Having kids puts an entire new spin on things... best of luck in your new place and your move. Glad to hear you are keeping the SSL.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Congrats on the second child. Best of luck with the move.

Enjoy your kids while they are kids. You'll never regret it.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi James,

Congrats man!! Glad to have you back! I live about 40 mins from Raleigh and am there a lot, if you ever want to hook up and eat and talk music and NC stuff!

Jason
SoulfulTerrain.com
Old 7th September 2011
Congrats on everything, dude! Best of luck with the move, but I'm sure you won't need it!
Old 7th September 2011
Hats off to you James I am sure I speak for many by wishing you well on this new path and look forward to reading about your future exploits on GS.

NC is supposed to be a great 'move to' destination.

As my (late and great) old man said - "you have to welcome change"

Congrats on baby V2.0 too!

Its all very exciting.

Old 7th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Congrats James, you'll kind of be in the neighborhood (we're in South Carolina).

War
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru
So now it's James "NC" Lugo, right?heh

My sister in law is in Raleigh so I've been there a lot. With three major universities there is a surprisingly lively arts scene.
Plus, at the risk of starting a fight, the world's best bar-b-que!
Old 7th September 2011
James congrats on the move. Love the business plan about the online mixing and have been taking that approach for sometime now myself with decent results. One thing that I would recommend is looking into source-live versus ustream.

Source-Live Gateway

1. It does not have anything to do with commercials and streams seemlessly within protools.
2. It is secure and can be setup to invite just the band, producers, etc and only allow them to come into play. Sure ustream allows that but it is much easier to setup.
3. Easier bandwidth
4. Did I mention that the annoying commercials are non existant.

The best part of it is that the band can stream that audio feed as well as use skype. If they are in a good listening environment they can also have the main monitors with the 320kps stereo hi def stream and another laptop with just the video.

Now, there is a highend version of the plugin as well that allows video too but it is a bit more.

Worth looking into and best of luck. My wife and I are expecting in 4 days as well. 4 DAYS! Whew...

Later
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
James congrats on the move. Love the business plan about the online mixing and have been taking that approach for sometime now myself with decent results. One thing that I would recommend is looking into source-live versus ustream.

Source-Live Gateway

1. It does not have anything to do with commercials and streams seemlessly within protools.
2. It is secure and can be setup to invite just the band, producers, etc and only allow them to come into play. Sure ustream allows that but it is much easier to setup.
3. Easier bandwidth
4. Did I mention that the annoying commercials are non existant.

The best part of it is that the band can stream that audio feed as well as use skype. If they are in a good listening environment they can also have the main monitors with the 320kps stereo hi def stream and another laptop with just the video.

Now, there is a highend version of the plugin as well that allows video too but it is a bit more.

Worth looking into and best of luck. My wife and I are expecting in 4 days as well. 4 DAYS! Whew...

Later
I am going to look into it, I think Jules told me about it a few weeks ago. That's really the only aspect of this I haven't fully figured out yet, I put ustream on the site just so I had something for content.

Thanks
Old 7th September 2011
NO worries man - ustream is great but the source-live plugin really beats out any streaming software I have tried (and trust me my OCD has tried most of them) Placed right on the master fader (or Print IN ) track and that is all you need. You then apply the emails to receive the stream request and wha la

It is about 320 bucks or so but worth every penny. Have not tried the high-end version with the video, but if the cost point is there it might be worth the investigation.

Oh and there is a 10 day trial too - so when ya get setup - rock it for 10 days

Best
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Anyway, this is a heavy experience guys and I vacillate between being excited and terrified.
Thanks for your open and honest post. I am terrified just reading it. I am encouraged that the importance of family trumps material accomplishments. This is the real bottom line. I learned that the hard way.

Fantastic for you to be playing again too. What great therapy and release for the gift you were fortunate to be born with. Keeping that bottled up impairs the spirit. Won't be long before you are writing songs and speaking with a southern accent!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Your going to love Raleigh. It's a great place to raise kids plus you got the mountains to the west and the beautiful Atlantic to the east. Besides the cover scene, there's a great indie rock scene, amazing roots and rural styles of music and so much musical heritage, your going to have to work to get through it.

It's mfking hot come July, but it's always something, somewhere.

Good luck with the move, NC Lugo, and welcome back east.
Old 7th September 2011
Welcome to the neighborhood!

James, the whole team at Manifold Recording welcomes your move to North Carolina. Give us a shout (or a scream) when you are settled.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

James, welcome back to east coast. I will definitely be sending some Baltimore business down to you.

Sent from my Vortex using Gearslutz.com App
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

congrats and best of luck mate
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Good luck, James. It's always good to follow the heart.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Welcome to the Triangle James!
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
James, the whole team at Manifold Recording welcomes your move to North Carolina. Give us a shout (or a scream) when you are settled.
Thanks Michael.

Man I've gotten so many calls and emails from gs members reaching out. This place is amazing.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, good luck with the move man!! I think it will be a great thing for ya.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
James, sounds like a good move for all the right reasons. You might want to investigate the gospel scene down there. Killer players and singers, and projects that usually need a real studio. I usually do at least one big project a year and a few smaller.

The same kids that started playing here 10 tears ago all have gigs with majors and shows like The Apollo....which generates other biz.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Congrats James! I completely understand the excited / terrified thing. It's a dream of mine to move out of LA as well, but that's a different topic.

I know a guy like you will excell wherever you land. Best of luck with the new adventures.....and kid v.2.0.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Welcome to NC

I'll look you up when you get settled in.

You are gonna love it.

I live on the NC coast but go to Raleigh often.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like a great move James.

Congrats and good luck.

-R
Old 7th September 2011
Say hello to my mom for me. I lived in Cary and worked in Raleigh for a couple years. It's a nice area. As with all of that area though, it might take getting used to the heat and humidity. Having lived now for over almost 15 years in the Bay Area, I'm not sure I could take that if I moved back. And the corresponding cold in the winter for that matter. I've gotten so used to the permanent windows open lifestyle. It'll definitely cost less for sure.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Welcome to the greater Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.

I think you'll like it. It has a great indie music scene (spawned Ben Folds Five, Superchunk, Ryan Adams, Tift Merritt, Corrosion of Conformity, Merge Records, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Polvo, among others), lots of music clubs, five college radio stations, a soon-to-be world-class recording facility (Manifold), one of the best pro audio dealers in the country (Soundpure), and a lot of people (like me) who record music in their bedrooms.

And despite what Mr. Roddey says, the winters are relatively mild.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Best wishes for your new angles! Always great to hear/read someone sticking their head above the music madness and making sense in the greater scheme of it....especially including kids.....go double barrels dude, SSL and kids in a nice setting. Like it.
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
..go double barrels dude, SSL and kids in a nice setting. Like it.
My son loves the faders.heh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Another welcome back to the East from Baltimore as well...heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search