The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th September 2011

Just got Source-Live up and running and streaming from studio A. Man that is cool, we went into studio B and logged on and listened and it sounds great.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Since you will be using a basement have you considered precautions and backup plans in case of flooding? Have been on east coast last couple months, remembering the plus side of basements for musicians, but then Irene also showed the potential downsides.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
True dat! Go south, young man, then pick a spot east of the Divide to work your way back up to 40. Never crossed the Appalachians that far south, but I expect they'll be a bitch with a trailer, too. Good luck, man!
I-20 to Atlanta then I-85 through South Carolina into North Carolina and you never see a mountain at all. Although I-20 from Texas to the Georgia border is just one long series of expantion joints that feel like a washboard. Georgia and the Carolina's have OK roads.

I-40 from Knoxville TN to Asheville NC is a road I wouldn't want to drive with a trailer. Great in an M3 but would suck big time with a U-Haul and a trailer.

Good luck with the move,
Will
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Since you will be using a basement have you considered precautions and backup plans in case of flooding? Have been on east coast last couple months, remembering the plus side of basements for musicians, but then Irene also showed the potential downsides.
This is excellent advice, James. Make sure there's a new or at least working sump pump in the basement area. I'd even go so far as to hire a leak detector before moving your SSL and other gear into the basement.

Best of luck, Brother!
Old 15th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul View Post
I-20 to Atlanta then I-85 through South Carolina into North Carolina and you never see a mountain at all. Although I-20 from Texas to the Georgia border is just one long series of expantion joints that feel like a washboard. Georgia and the Carolina's have OK roads.

I-40 from Knoxville TN to Asheville NC is a road I wouldn't want to drive with a trailer. Great in an M3 but would suck big time with a U-Haul and a trailer.

Good luck with the move,
Will
Thanks.

Been streaming with source live for an hour so with no interruptions and my wife logged on and we skype simultaneously with no issues. Seems to sound great and run and great.

If anyone wants to hear it log on, the mix is screwy cause I didn't recall the board just fired it up but you can hear it. This is 192 it goes much higher I will experiment with higher bit rates but I just wanted to start here and run it for a while.

Source-Live Gateway
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
This is excellent advice, James. Make sure there's a new or at least working sump pump in the basement area. I'd even go so far as to hire a leak detector before moving your SSL and other gear into the basement.
Even better would be a backup generator/electrical system. My friend here in PA ended up with 2 feet of water in the basement, the hurricane took out the electricity which stopped the sump pump from working.
Old 15th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Even better would be a backup generator/electrical system. My friend here in PA ended up with 2 feet of water in the basement, the hurricane took out the electricity which stopped the sump pump from working.
The house is on a hill and the basement is actually above ground and on the back end on the drop side. Doesn't look like it'll flood. Looks like the water would just run down the hill.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Good luck with the move James! I'm a fan of you and all of the work you've done. Smart move to put family first. Life's way to short to have it any other way.
Old 15th September 2011

Started the source live feed a few hours with no interruptions and have been going up in bit rate every now and again and I am now at the highest 320 and going between studio A where it's streaming and studio B where it's listening to the stream and it sounds fantastic. the higher bit rates really make a difference. So we are running at 320 and running skype with no interruptions. Friggin cool.
Old 15th September 2011

Quote:

Good luck with the move,
Will
Would I take I-10 from LA to the I-20?

Also can I take the I-20 through Atlanta and catch I-95 in Columbia and take that up into Raleigh?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Not sure on that end. I've never made that part of the drive. Dallas TX is as far west as I've moved with a U-haul and trailer.

Quote:
Also can I take the I-20 through Atlanta and catch I-95 in Columbia and take that up into Raleigh?
Yes you could, however I-95 has some really heavy traffic and is normally torn up with construction. When I have driven from Atlanta to Raliegh, I've done the I-85 route.

If you go through Atlanta let me know and I'll buy you a beer maybe some BBQ too.

Will
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:

I'd take I-85 from Atlanta, not bothering with I-95. Once you are in range, you can switch from I-85 to I-40. Or you can cut across on Hwy 64.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Congrats on the second child. Best of luck with the move.

Enjoy your kids while they are kids. You'll never regret it.
And you'll never get a second chance.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just got Source-Live up and running and streaming from studio A. Man that is cool, we went into studio B and logged on and listened and it sounds great.

I've been a huge fan of Source Elements / Remote Recording over the Internet for Audio Professionals for years now. I've also said it a million times before, but Avid should buy that company and integrate it into Pro Tools.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good luck with your move, James. Best wishes for the future.

It'll be sad to see you leave LA. You were the lifeblood of the LA studio scene and it'll be hard to replace your infectious enthusiasm, warm hospitality, wide connections and raw musicianship.

I enjoyed hearing about your musical exploits, from drinking beers with Axl on the steps the day Appetite was released to commissioning an SSL. You are living the life. Good things come to good people so you'll be just fine.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

James,

allow me to extend an early welcome to you, my man!
It'll be nice to have you here. I'm in Durham now, but I grew up in Raleigh, went to college in Chapel Hill, toured the country as a singer/songwriter for about 8 years, moved back to Raleigh, then to Durham, then out of the country for 2 years, and now back in Durham again. The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is a great area. Lots of good people here, and some really smart people, too (forget what Harvey said about that!).

Compared to your life in LA, it's going to feel like you're moving in slow motion when you get here, but you'll get used to the pace and probably come to love it. It's a small/medium market though, and that may be an adjustment. Great place to raise kids. I do prefer Durham these days, though, to Raleigh. But Raleigh's still a great town.

Couple of thoughts to help in the move:
First off, on the East Coast, no one is going to say the name of a highway and put "the" in front of it. It's always an adjustment for the Californians I know who've moved here, but if you ask about getting on "the 40" or "the 85" or "the 147", people might look at you with a puzzled expression. Some people may literally not even be sure what you're asking.

In terms of which migratory route to take:
I-40 the whole way is a straight shot, and while there are some uglified areas, much of 40 is quite beautiful, with a varied landscape. What others have said about the mountains are true, though. But still, arriving into NC through the Smokies into Asheville is pretty awesome. It would be a nice, dramatic welcome to the state. Sort of an "oh yeah!" moment.

I-10 to I-20 to I-30, etc is definitely an "easier" route in terms of roads/mountains, but it will test your sanity. I've seen grown men crumble in west Texas while they drive for 10 hours and yet remain in the same state. If you go this route, bring your game face.

If you do go the southern route, I wouldn't go over to I-95. I'd hit I-85 and take that into Charlotte, then Greensboro, then hit I-40 and head east to Raleigh.

OK, I'm going on long enough with this post. I'll PM you. But suffice it to say, I'm excited for you, man. I know it's a big, big move with some big, big changes going on, but I hope it proves to be an excellent decision. I'd love to take you out for a drink/meal once you get here.

Cheers, man.

Mark
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

LA's loss is Raleigh's gain! I've lived in Raleigh my whole life and love my home. Would love to check your studio out at some point- see you around!

-Mike R
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Great stuff, Rob! Reminds me of all my past road trips around this amazing country!

Binky the cat LOL!

Awesome!

Binky the cat on the waterbed. heh
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Binky the cat on the waterbed. heh

Love cats....Awesome colors on that guy. And Binky is a fantastic name. From Groening?

Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
My son loves the faders.heh
My son loved the patchcords in the back of the mixer and decided to pull them all out!!! That's when I learned to label or number them.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, best wishes to you.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Love cats....Awesome colors on that guy. And Binky is a fantastic name. From Groening?

Sorry to go off topic here, but for anyone interested in a funny story about Binky, here goes.

I grew up with dogs and had had enough of them. My wife (then girlfriend) talked me into a cat about 83' when I lived in Phoenix. That was Trouble, the coolist cat ever! I've been a cat person ever since.

I moved with Trouble into an apartment in Van Nuys when I first moved to LA about 84'. Trouble had nowhere to roam but that apt parking lot and unfortunately lost in the battle with the traffic. Found her on the side of the road.

I then got Binky, just a kitten, from a crazy cat lady in Hollywood. Binky was with me when I moved back to Minnesota. And on the infamous truck trip back to LA in 89'. After we got to the rented house in Woodland Hills, Binky disappeared. Of course she just got there and didn't know the neighborhood, and couldn't find her way home. And we were up the hill a bit with open land above us, and plenty of Coyotes. I thought Binky was history for sure. I put up signs all around the neighborhood. Weeks past and no Binky. Then I get a call from someone a couple blocks away. There was Binky the cat, bloodied, bruised, and her claws were all chopped up like she was in some major battles, but survived like a champ. heh

Binky moved with me back to MN when I got married, back to LA again in 93' and rode out the earthquake with me in 94' in my Redondo Beach apartment, and lived out her final days in Boulder until about 1999 when she was getting too senile and coming up behind people on the couch and biting their heads. It was then good buy Binky. I had kids by then and they helped pick out Peaches, who we had until last spring when he met a tragic death in a bit of a freak accident. We are catless at the moment.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Started the source live feed a few hours with no interruptions and have been going up in bit rate every now and again and I am now at the highest 320 and going between studio A where it's streaming and studio B where it's listening to the stream and it sounds fantastic. the higher bit rates really make a difference. So we are running at 320 and running skype with no interruptions. Friggin cool.
Yahoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Take 40 across. Its far more interesting.
Specially if you arent gonna be driving it again.
I just across the northern route from ny to LA.
This country is beautiful and breathtaking at times.
Have fun.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Take 40 across. Its far more interesting.
Specially if you aren't gonna be driving it again.
I just across the northern route from ny to LA.
This country is beautiful and breathtaking at times.
Have fun.
True about I-40, but he's pulling a trailer - loaded with an SSL console and God knows what else.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

FWIW I live in Albuquerque a few hundred feet from I-40. Before mid-December, you don't have to worry much about I-40. It usually stays pretty dry that time of year. Christmas to mid-March is different. It can be sunny and clear and turn bad quickly.
As others have said, I-40 is prettier and it is faster. I drove to North Hollywood in 13 hours once from Albuquerque. By avoiding Phoenix and Dallas, you will save hours of driving.
Old 16th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
True about I-40, but he's pulling a trailer - loaded with an SSL console and God knows what else.
yup. I want to avoid as many mountains as possible.
Old 21st September 2011
It looks like you picked a great time to move to Raleigh:

Which Is America's Best City? - BusinessWeek
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
The house is on a hill and the basement is actually above ground and on the back end on the drop side. Doesn't look like it'll flood. Looks like the water would just run down the hill.
But it's a good idea to keep the drainage in tip top shape at all times, never know when gutters can stop up, I had one to do that and the water got on my foundation and down and around and ran back on the foundation and then the water popped up in a basement, you cannot always say if it's not leaking now that it want, just let something go wrong outside and you will see what happens. Drainage is so so important.
Old 10th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
But it's a good idea to keep the drainage in tip top shape at all times, never know when gutters can stop up, I had one to do that and the water got on my foundation and down and around and ran back on the foundation and then the water popped up in a basement, you cannot always say if it's not leaking now that it want, just let something go wrong outside and you will see what happens. Drainage is so so important.
I will look into that, thanks for the heads up.

Well I'm just over 2 weeks out from splitting. Man this is freaky, a little scary but this past week I wrote those 2 monster rent checks out for the last time, that I won't miss. I have been going through some serious changes mentally and emotionally with this move looming. I think it'll be better once I'm up and running and making some noise over there. A lot of guys from GS have reached out and that makes this easier.

JL
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Addict

Sweet. I am in Charlotte. I am sure that you will love it in NC. Good luck with your move.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search