The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th September 2011
  #91
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
Many of us have been doing what you are setting up for years. Welcome to the club and good luck.
Old 11th September 2011
  #92
Gear Addict
 
c1ferrari's Avatar
 

Hi James

I've perused this thread with great interest...
remarks implicating schools and non-native English-speaking populations...
from people I regard with esteem...
as possible motivation for your transition.

My contribution to this thread may be somewhat different
Nurtured in a family where English was not the primary language for my parents...
and a "product" of public schools -- kindergarten through grad school and beyond --

I'd like to express my heartfelt Thank You

Sometimes, if I feel discouraged about something...
my profession, for example -- I teach science in a public middle school...
with students that are diverse in need...
I'll recall one of your threads -- I particularly appreciated your thread detailing your studio...
which frequently lifts my spirit

In the context of a reality, where people are pitted against one another...
where so-proclaimed efficiency and "marketplace competition" yields a race to the bottom...

Your vulnerability, generosity, and positivity, has not gone unnoticed...
I hope to meet you, sometime...


Last edited by c1ferrari; 11th September 2011 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11th September 2011
  #93
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Thanks guys for all the support. I'm getting excited for a change. I'm kind of pumped to have my studio at my house, I've had a commercial facility for a decade now and really want to be creative at night and can't. After a long day at work once I'm home I'm not into going back but if it's in my basement I think I will be more apt to write and sing.
This is SO important! I know you make a living off of helping others make music, but nothing wrong with being a little more selfish and making more of your own music, as well as having more time with your family.
Seems like not very long ago I got to see you setting up your LA studio, I wish I could have seen it in action.


I went through a similar change. We lived in LA when we had our first kid, she was born in Santa Monica. And we decided that we did not want to raise kids in LA, besides the fact that we couldn't really afford it.

We moved from there to Boulder, CO which I LOVED, and where my other two were born. But still, like you, we had no family and support, no really friends in Colorado, and decided before they were all in school to move back where we came from here in Minnesota, and many family members and friends. Never looked back.

All the best on your move!
Old 11th September 2011
  #94
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Will there be anyone left to turn out the lights? Back in the 1980's EVERYONE wanted to come to LA. Maybe you were one of them. Now everyone turned into Snake Pilskin.

"Escape From LA"?
that was a GREAT b movie
Old 12th September 2011
  #95
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
This is SO important! I know you make a living off of helping others make music, but nothing wrong with being a little more selfish and making more of your own music, as well as having more time with your family.
Seems like not very long ago I got to see you setting up your LA studio, I wish I could have seen it in action.


I went through a similar change. We lived in LA when we had our first kid, she was born in Santa Monica. And we decided that we did not want to raise kids in LA, besides the fact that we couldn't really afford it.

We moved from there to Boulder, CO which I LOVED, and where my other two were born. But still, like you, we had no family and support, no really friends in Colorado, and decided before they were all in school to move back where we came from here in Minnesota, and many family members and friends. Never looked back.

All the best on your move!
That's where I'm at Rob. It's just no fun anymore. It's always just us. Like today a beautiful Sunday we would have been hangin at a family bbq or something instead we vegged around the house and went to Target and Petco. LA was fun when I was single and when we first got married but now with a kid it just sucks being here. I know a lot of people out here have kids and no family and it worked for them it just isn't for me. My life consisting of friends and clients was fine for years but now with children it just feels odd.
Old 12th September 2011
  #96
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Well I don't plan on living in Los Angeles again unless I get a serious gig there or have lots of cash to spend, or better yet both. heh

And then I could only see it as a second home. Wouldn't mind moving back to Colorado some day though, sometimes kind of wish we had stayed there.
Old 12th September 2011
  #97
Lives for gear
 

Congratulations on making a big positive change in your life! I'm sure you will not regret it. L.A. will miss having a good dude like you around, but fortunately GS makes the distance less significant. Looking forward to your GS updates as your rebuild your biz in NC... all the best to you and the family.

I too just made a difficult move to a new place (you might remember picking-up a few for-sale pieces [mics, mic stands] from me for your Texas client almost a couple years ago). Funny... while you're moving out of LA, I just moved deeper into it -- to a loft in Downtown! So it goes...
Old 12th September 2011
  #98
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
That's where I'm at Rob. It's just no fun anymore. It's always just us. Like today a beautiful Sunday we would have been hangin at a family bbq or something instead we vegged around the house and went to Target and Petco.
Life and family is strange, I do love my family but for me on the weekend I had rather be with my wife/son and NOT at some da+n family outing, reunion, I hear that word mention I run, my wife does to, we like home and quite time if we are not out at the mall etc.

It's funny Lugo is looking for bbq and stuff like such and I have been here so long I want to move to the big city like Atlanta, but never LA for me my friend, nada. So I visit Atlanta all the time 2 hrs away and a perfect weekend is there every time.
Old 12th September 2011
  #99
Gear Maniac
 
brandonhackler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
This is what I've been missing when working 14 hours a day:


heh
Dude your kid is growing like a weed!!! Gearslutz has watched him grow up through "studio remodel" and "SSL install" vids. We're like creepy internet uncles.
Old 12th September 2011
  #100
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I just saw a 5 bed, 3 bath house in Durham for $344,000. Do you know what a 5 bed, 3bath house would cost in LA?
Here's a hint... put a 1 in front of the 3.
wow that would hurt Tony. We do have 1-2 million $$$ homes around here, they are almost as big as a mall though, one near me looks like a castle and has a round swimming pool on the 2nd floor with a glass bottom viewing from the first floor.......too crazy.
Old 12th September 2011
  #101
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Do you know what the equivalent property would cost 24 miles from LA?
LOL 24 miles from LA is STILL LA Tony.... heh heh heh Nice farmhouse. There's nothing like that within hundreds of miles of LA. heh

But there are places. Temecula for instance. Nice town if you don't have to commute to the "city". Great, killer, unbelieveable homes in the 250-400,000 range when I checked it out for investment properties a couple years ago. An equivalent home in Sherman Oaks would probably be in the 900k-1.4m range.

Of course, it's a community in transition after all the forclosures. Who knows what the neighborhood will be like in 10 years. I passed on it. I'll wait until I make a BIG move. :-)
Old 12th September 2011
  #102
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Nice! *Massive* respect to you for prioritizing family, and congratulations on the second child... the first in that cookie monster getup is friggin' adorable.

I'm envious you have a place to go where you can simply be near your family, my extended family is splintering this coming year as all of us move in different directions, including me relocating to LA later this month. My hope is to get myself and the wife rooted down, get a baby on the way, and help my folks settle out here as well where the climate is so conducive to 365 active, retired living.

Anyway, best of luck with all the exciting and challenging things to come, may you find everything you're looking for and more.


Gregory Scott - ubk

Greg - make sure to reach out after you land.....

Even though James is leaving, LA is still a pretty dam cool place to live. But I feel the draw to migrate too, but it would have be be west of the Rockies for me. Not interested in moving any further east than that. Northern AZ looks very attractive to me..... Sedona, Flag, Prescott....
Old 12th September 2011
  #103
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhackler View Post
Dude your kid is growing like a weed!!! Gearslutz has watched him grow up through "studio remodel" and "SSL install" vids. We're like creepy internet uncles.
I know. He is so funny too. What a nutcase.

On another note, LA is a great place to live, I've been here since '86 and have had some great experiences, I wish I could have my family here, kind of have my cake and eat it too but that ain't in the cards.

My OCD has kicked into hyper overdrive, I can't sleep, just thinking of ways to promote and get work happening out there. I have become one with photoshop...lol Makin tons of ads, flyers, business cards, promo etc. Now with my wife's company cutting her loose and a bun in the oven, man the f**kin pressure is on. But it'll force me to step up to the plate and show what I'm made of. I also started a 10 day cleanse 2 days ago, so the juices are flowin' in all direction.heh It's time to get healthy and back in shape, I've kind of let myself go the past few years and now I'm gonna be in a new city and I'm gonna need all the mojo and energy I can muster.
Old 12th September 2011
  #104
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
I lived in Nashville for 3 years and wanted to move back there in 2004, but my wife vetoed the idea of it. I think I will move out of LA at some point in the next 3 years, but there are so many things I will miss about it. Every time I go to another city and look around as if I want to live there, there are so many things I find lacking. Being able to exercise in my park 350 plus days a year is REALLY enticing. You can't beat the weather in LA. It comes at a price, but in the middle of winter when the high is 72 degrees... that's gonna be really hard to walk away from. World class musicians that are 10 minutes from you and pop by your studio for a session in a moments notice. Yep, I've been spoiled.
Old 12th September 2011
  #105
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I lived in Nashville for 3 years and wanted to move back there in 2004, but my wife vetoed the idea of it. I think I will move out of LA at some point in the next 3 years, but there are so many things I will miss about it. Every time I go to another city and look around as if I want to live there, there are so many things I find lacking. Being able to exercise in my park 350 plus days a year is REALLY enticing. You can't beat the weather in LA. It comes at a price, but in the middle of winter when the high is 72 degrees... that's gonna be really hard to walk away from. World class musicians that are 10 minutes from you and pop by your studio for a session in a moments notice. Yep, I've been spoiled.
Other than the obvious ones (cost of housing, traffic) what are the other drawbacks in your opinion Tony? Also, is it just housing or is the cost of living in general more?
Old 12th September 2011
  #106
north carolina is beautiful and i planned on moving there after I get sick of LA (which is about now).

Cheers!
Old 12th September 2011
  #107
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I lived in Nashville for 3 years and wanted to move back there in 2004, but my wife vetoed the idea of it. I think I will move out of LA at some point in the next 3 years, but there are so many things I will miss about it. Every time I go to another city and look around as if I want to live there, there are so many things I find lacking. Being able to exercise in my park 350 plus days a year is REALLY enticing. You can't beat the weather in LA. It comes at a price, but in the middle of winter when the high is 72 degrees... that's gonna be really hard to walk away from. World class musicians that are 10 minutes from you and pop by your studio for a session in a moments notice. Yep, I've been spoiled.
I know the feeling, Tony.

I've been out here for a year and LA has forced my wife and I to budget and be very conscious of our spending habits. And because of that, we've been able to put away more money here than we ever did in Atlanta as well as get completely out of debt. In fact, we only live on about 2/3 of our income (which isn't a lot at all, btw) and we save the rest. Yet we still hit the beach, travel, and are able to keep our monthly bills down. If we permanently move out of LA one day it will be either to Orange County or Malibu.heh

I love it here and we've yet to even touch the surface of this place.

I'll miss James even though I don't get to see him much as it is.
Old 14th September 2011
  #108
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

I've made some progress the past fews day; got a NC phone number that will forward to my LA number, postal mailbox for business stuff, set up alarm installation, made all my magazine ads, flyer and business cards and installed Source-Live on PT so I can stream while mixing and producing. Have a source-live rep coming tomorrow to help me configure my router so it will work.

And the best thing is I had an electrician scope the house out today and he said there's plenty of amperage going to the house and 4 open slots on the breaker, so we are golden for the console. This is probably something I should have looked into first but it didn't dawn on me till this electrician questioned if the console would be able to power up in the house but it does and it will be fine. He also said the basement is well insulated, very quiet and cool.
Old 14th September 2011
  #109
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
wow moving from one coast to another is not going to cheap!
and after all the work building your studio.
well good luck with the relocation and the new digs!!!
Old 14th September 2011
  #110
Lives for gear
 
macr0w's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I've made some progress the past fews day; got a NC phone number that will forward to my LA number, postal mailbox for business stuff, set up alarm installation, made all my magazine ads, flyer and business cards and installed Source-Live on PT so I can stream while mixing and producing. Have a source-live rep coming tomorrow to help me configure my router so it will work.

And the best thing is I had an electrician scope the house out today and he said there's plenty of amperage going to the house and 4 open slots on the breaker, so we are golden for the console. This is probably something I should have looked into first but it didn't dawn on me till this electrician questioned if the console would be able to power up in the house but it does and it will be fine. He also said the basement is well insulated, very quiet and cool.
Sounds like you're ready to "rock".

If you get down to Charlotte give a shout.
Old 14th September 2011
  #111
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
wow moving from one coast to another is not going to cheap!
Now that's an under statement. It's a blood bath but I think in the long run it will pay off. Bills are going from 12k a month to around 4.5k. When I build my business up there and really get sslmixingonline rockin' I'm gonna be in better shape with way less stress, overhead and no staff. At 47 years old it's a dream for me.
Old 14th September 2011
  #112
Lives for gear
 
Harvey Gerst's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Now that's an under statement. It's a blood bath but I think in the long run it will pay off. Bills are going from 12k a month to around 4.5k. When I build my business up there and really get sslmixingonline rockin' I'm gonna be in better shape with way less stress, overhead and no staff. At 47 years old it's a dream for me.
James,

Seriously, if you're driving, consider stopping at our studio for a resting point. We're not that far off your route, and we have a nice RV that you (and your family) can camp out in for as long as you'd like. I'm sure you'll do well in N.C.
Old 14th September 2011
  #113
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
James,

Seriously, if you're driving, consider stopping at our studio for a resting point. We're not that far off your route, and we have a nice RV that you (and your family) can camp out in for as long as you'd like. I'm sure you'll do well in N.C.
Man I'd love to but it looks like we're taking the 40 across and I will be pulling a trailer with the console in it. It looks like you are a couple of 100 miles south of the 40. Is that right?
Old 14th September 2011
  #114
Lives for gear
 
Harvey Gerst's Avatar
'Bout a 160 miles south of I-40. The mountains coming out of San Bernardino, and the mountains going into Flagsaff will be a bitch pulling a trailer. I-10 to I-20 is longer, but an easier drive. If there are reports of snow in Flagsaff when you leave, head for I-10 immediately; do not even think about going I-40 and pulling a trailer with snow in Flagstaff.
Old 14th September 2011
  #115
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
'Bout a 160 miles south of I-40. The mountains coming out of San Bernardino, and the mountains going into Flagsaff will be a bitch pulling a trailer. I-10 to I-20 is longer, but an easier drive. If there are reports of snow in Flagsaff when you leave, head for I-10 immediately; do not even think about going I-40 and pulling a trailer with snow in Flagstaff.
Harvey,

You're not the first person to say that. IYO what's the best route for us to take from LA to Raleigh pulling a trailer?

Thanks
Old 15th September 2011
  #116
Lives for gear
 
Harvey Gerst's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Harvey,

You're not the first person to say that. IYO what's the best route for us to take from LA to Raleigh pulling a trailer?

Thanks
I-40 is prettier, but there are some big mountains in the way if you're pulling a heavy trailer, plus, if it snows in Flagstaff, you're screwed - trust me on that one. Less gas stations and rest stops.

Easiest route is I-10 to I-20, to I-30, to I-40. It's longer, but good speed limits, and the roads are good. Not that much difference in time, oddly enough. Boring as hell in spots - for long stretches (especially after Van Horn, TX).

L.A. to Phoenix is an easy drive. I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson is the pits - speed traps, cops, and not a great road, but it's only about a 90 mile long corridor. Tucson to El Paso is an easy drive.

If you need to stop for the night, shoot for Deming, NM - lotsa good motels and food. Grand Motor Inn (on E. Pine) is one of the best with a nice restaurant attached, and very reasonable prices.

The rest of the way into Dallas is also easy, but boring. Most of the roads are 70 MPH 4 & 6-lane highways. After Dallas, you can use I-30 to cut up to I-40 and continue on I-40 as per original plan.
Old 15th September 2011
  #117
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
'Bout a 160 miles south of I-40. The mountains coming out of San Bernardino, and the mountains going into Flagsaff will be a bitch pulling a trailer. I-10 to I-20 is longer, but an easier drive. If there are reports of snow in Flagsaff when you leave, head for I-10 immediately; do not even think about going I-40 and pulling a trailer with snow in Flagstaff.
True dat! Go south, young man, then pick a spot east of the Divide to work your way back up to 40. Never crossed the Appalachians that far south, but I expect they'll be a bitch with a trailer, too. Good luck, man!
Old 15th September 2011
  #118
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Harvey,

You're not the first person to say that. IYO what's the best route for us to take from LA to Raleigh pulling a trailer?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
'Bout a 160 miles south of I-40. The mountains coming out of San Bernardino, and the mountains going into Flagsaff will be a bitch pulling a trailer. I-10 to I-20 is longer, but an easier drive. If there are reports of snow in Flagsaff when you leave, head for I-10 immediately; do not even think about going I-40 and pulling a trailer with snow in Flagstaff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
I-40 is prettier, but there are some big mountains in the way if you're pulling a heavy trailer, plus, if it snows in Flagstaff, you're screwed - trust me on that one. Less gas stations and rest stops.

Easiest route is I-10 to I-20, to I-30, to I-40. It's longer, but good speed limits, and the roads are good. Not that much difference in time, oddly enough. Boring as hell in spots - for long stretches (especially after Van Horn, TX).

L.A. to Phoenix is an easy drive. I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson is the pits - speed traps, cops, and not a great road, but it's only about a 90 mile long corridor. Tucson to El Paso is an easy drive.

If you need to stop for the night, shoot for Deming, NM - lotsa good motels and food. Grand Motor Inn (on E. Pine) is one of the best with a nice restaurant attached, and very reasonable prices.

The rest of the way into Dallas is also easy, but boring. Most of the roads are 70 MPH 4 & 6-lane highways. After Dallas, you can use I-30 to cut up to I-40 and continue on I-40 as per original plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
True dat! Go south, young man, then pick a spot east of the Divide to work your way back up to 40. Never crossed the Appalachians that far south, but I expect they'll be a bitch with a trailer, too. Good luck, man!


I've made that trip across the US and everyone is right. That trip through New Mexico and Arizona is a bitch. I pulled my truck with a U-Haul through that section of the country and it was painful. Slowed me down to 45 MPH.
Old 15th September 2011
  #119
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Boulder doesn't surprise me. Also the most fit people you will find anywhere. heh

As far as driving cross country, bah.

Snow shouldn't be a problem in Flagstaff quite yet. I lived in Phoenix for several years. I've gone straight through the rocky mountains with cars with trailers, trucks with trailers, you name it. Only once had to turn around when heading north from Durango because my (rear wheel drive) Trans Am with the trailer full of stuff just couldn't make it up the mountain in the snow. Had to head south 500 extra miles through northern New Mexico which turned into one of the greatest drives ever. Like going through the black forests.

Once had my old 24 foot truck from my failed recycling business with my car behind heading for LA, about 1989 from Minnesota with everything I owned. Non working temperature gauge too.

Made it through all the mountains no problem. Coming out of the desert from
Needles I was in trouble. Made it to the top of the mountain with that thing chugging like a 1910 steam engine. The strangest thing was that engine locked up like a stone right at the top of that mountain and I coasted down, steam pouring out for miles and made it right to a rest stop as that truck rolled it's last unassisted mile. Good thing I had the car. Drove it off the trailer and me and Binky the cat drove to the house I had rented with my friend in Woodland hills. Had to have the truck with everything I owned towed all the way to Barstow to try to get it fixed. Sat there for two weeks. Engine shot I had to rent a Uhaul truck and drive it to Barstow and remove my life belongings from one truck into the other, drive it back to LA, and ended up selling the useless truck to the guy in Barstow for next to nothing.

I was worried that my prized record collection would take a hit baking in the back of a truck in the summer in Barstow for two weeks. Miraculously I am still playing those records today, some sounding like they did when I bought them new in the 70's.
Old 15th September 2011
  #120
.

Great stuff, Rob! Reminds me of all my past road trips around this amazing country!

Binky the cat LOL!

Awesome!


.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump