The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Just did some biz with you a couple months ago.
James you are getting closer, still 4 1/2 hr drive from me though, I am 20 mins from the NC line near Hendersonville, coast down 25 right into Greenville SC, but yet I am still only 2 hrs from downtown Atlanta Ga.
Welcome to the South my friend.

Hope we can get together and have a cold one someday.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

James,
I've always appreciated your passion and enthusiasm as your have pursued building out your studio. Looking forward to having you bring all that positive energy back to the east coast.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

James,

As I said on the phone the last time we talked, I personally am very said that you're leaving. So is Elizabeth. You were one of the main reasons we moved here. We'll never forget your inspirational speech. That was amazing!

But at the same time, I'm very happy for you and your family because you're making the right choice. I'm happy that you're happy and want nothing but the best for my friends.

Plus, now we have another place in the country to visit and crash on someone's couch. heh
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Congrats James. I'm actually looking to make that move as well within a year. The prices of homes there are crazy cheap. Plus I'm looking for a slower pace. Maybe I can pickup a southern accent as wellheh. Good Luck Bro.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Congrats James. I'm actually looking to make that move as well within a year. The prices of homes there are crazy cheap.
Good heavens to Betsy! Cheap? Raleigh and Chapel Hill routinely rank among the most expensive housing markets in the Southeast. I guess that just goes to show how obscenely expensive real estate in LA is. Yikes.
Old 9th September 2011

I've had so many LA friends come out of the wood work and reach out. Thanks guys, this is the monster move of my lifetime. We just found out that my wife's company cannot transfer her to NC, so we are moving there and my wife will be 7 months pregnant without a job. Whoa! A little scary but I guess this will show us what we're made of. Again thanks everyone for the calls and emails.

James
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good luck James. I moved from CA to Raleigh and lived there for 4 years. There are a lot of great things about it but ultimately I found that I just enjoy the atmosphere of the west coast substantially better. I am now in Portland which has many of the things that I liked about North Carolina, minus many of the things I didn't like about NC and CA. My brother and many wonderful friends still live in Raleigh and I think you'll do great given where you are at. Its a nice place if you are more settled, and probably a better environment for kids in some ways.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

James -

I have relocated several times in the past few years. Originally from Detroit, MI, I moved down to the western side of the state for grad school 6 years ago. After completing my masters degree at Western Carolina University, I stayed on to teach for 4 years there in the Commercial and Electronic Music program there.

Here I am in the present, having just moved again out near the Outer Banks, directing a recording arts program at an HBCU and finding myself about to be married to a wonderful girl from Durham in just under 4 months.

I can fully appreciate where you are coming from with the fear, anxiety, and hope that comes with a move like this. I truly hope that things go well for you out here, and if you need anything at all, I'm only a couple hours away always open to chat!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I've had so many LA friends come out of the wood work and reach out. Thanks guys, this is the monster move of my lifetime. We just found out that my wife's company cannot transfer her to NC, so we are moving there and my wife will be 7 months pregnant without a job. Whoa! A little scary but I guess this will show us what we're made of. Again thanks everyone for the calls and emails.

James
Not that it relates much to your situation, but when my wife was pregnant with our first, I asked my 'then' boss for a pay rise due to the increase in cost of living and being the sole income provider, he said "ok Matt, I can offer you 30c extra an hour now and an additional 30c an hour in 6 months time", to which I said, "well your basically forcing me to resign and go and work for myself (as an electrician)", which I did, then spent 8 years of the most flexible (yet hair raisingly scary, being self employed and the bread winner) time of my life so far. It enabled me to spend what ever time I wanted to watch my kids grow up, aslong as I went out occasionally and made some cash to keep the cogs turning.

The other benefit to this (that I didn't realize at the time) was the experience I was building for myself in respect to the value of money and how far you can strech it if you really need to.

After eight years being sole trader, I begrudgingly pulled the pin (due to the lack of cash flow - my choice - and the build up of stress - not knowing where the next job was coming from) and then walked into a project management position on $100g a year for an established electrical company ( for the last two years). Cool thing for me now is, I get paid weekly, I watched my kids turn into little people, I don't bust my ass at work as much as I had to before, and I now have more spare time after work hours (without stressing about money) to persue my hobby/future career in writing,recording and mixing.

The Long and short of my story is - these increments of 'change' in my life has allowed me to do pretty much what I want for the last 10 years and got me to the position I'm in now!! - change rocks as long as you've got the 'rocks' to make the change in the first place.

James, move to Australia, just by being a yank abroad, you'll have work coming out of your ass, check out Byron Bay in Queensland, it's a musical, hippy wonderland full of people with a shiit tone of cash - also where SAE headquarters is if your looking for a regular job teaching peeps about recording/mixing.

saggsy
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow James! Can't believe it... I have to admit I took you for granted in LA... it has been great meeting and hanging with you man.. I hope the very best in NC! Make sure to come and see me next time you're back!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

You know, of course, that this will cause the intelligence level to go up in both cities?

Just kidding, except for the Raleigh part. Congrats, James.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
Good heavens to Betsy! Cheap? Raleigh and Chapel Hill routinely rank among the most expensive housing markets in the Southeast. I guess that just goes to show how obscenely expensive real estate in LA is. Yikes.

I just saw a 5 bed, 3 bath house in Durham for $344,000. Do you know what a 5 bed, 3bath house would cost in LA?
Here's a hint... put a 1 in front of the 3.
Old 10th September 2011
Sky
Lives for gear

Wow James, congrats on your courageous move. I can relate to you feeling both excitement and terror. heh Well it sure sounds like you have your priorities straight. Best wishes for many excellent new doors to open for you.

Sky
Old 10th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Wow James! Can't believe it... I have to admit I took you for granted in LA... it has been great meeting and hanging with you man.. I hope the very best in NC! Make sure to come and see me next time you're back!
I will man, it's been good knowing each other syra. I will still need to be in LA for work at times. Maybe I can even work at your place if you are open when I'm in LA.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Congrats James... Making the choice to a better life for your family will pay off in spades! And working out of a studio in the basement rocks... You can be creative whenever you want!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I just saw a 5 bed, 3 bath house in Durham for $344,000. Do you know what a 5 bed, 3bath house would cost in LA?
Here's a hint... put a 1 in front of the 3.
That's just plain scary.

A few months ago, I bought a 2100 square-foot brick house (all hardwood floors, beautiful landscaping, in a leafy established middle-class neighborhood) in Durham (which is about twenty miles from Raleigh) for $160,000.

Heck, you can buy a 1920s bungalow in a "transitional" neighborhood in Durham for $80,000.

Those LA prices are nuts.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Those are pretty outrageous numbers for LA unless you're in a VERY upscale neighborhood. Normal neighborhoods for a 4BR, 2.5Bath house in the 2200 SqFt range from $650-800k. Expensive, but not half a mil....
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's just plain scary.

A few months ago, I bought a 2100 square-foot brick house (all hardwood floors, beautiful landscaping, in a leafy established middle-class neighborhood) in Durham (which is about twenty miles from Raleigh) for $160,000.

Heck, you can buy 1920s bungalow in a "transitional" neighborhood in Durham for $80,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Those are pretty outrageous numbers for LA unless you're in a VERY upscale neighborhood. Normal neighborhoods for a 4BR, 2.5Bath house in the 2200 SqFt range from $650-800k. Expensive, but not half a mil....

Because at some point I'm planing on leaving LA, I went and checked pricing in NC.
This house is 24 miles south of Raleigh.
Do you know what the equivalent property would cost 24 miles from LA?

Johnston County North Carolina Farm for Sale. Includes Home, Barns, Pond and Pasture.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because at some point I'm planing on leaving LA, I went and checked pricing in NC.

Johnston County North Carolina Farm for Sale. Includes Home, Barns, Pond and Pasture.
The link is to property in Johnston County, where real estate is still dirt cheap. (Heck, I know a guy who bought an amazing old farmhouse on thirty acres of land in Johnston County for under $200,000 last year.) Johnston County is rural, conservative, slightly redneck, and still largely agricultural. In many ways, it is a world away from Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. (A better bet for most gearslutz thinking about a move to NC would be Chatham County, the same distance to Raleigh and home of Manifold Studios, almost as cheap as Johnston County, but much hipper, prettier, and hillier.)
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not just LA.. Here in Maryland a decent size 5bed 3 bath would be well over that price as well.. Plus property tax in MD is super high.

My girlfriend who lives an hour away in Delaware gets away with some much cheaper living.. Utilities and stuff no where near what I pay. and She doesn't have to worry about 2 locations like I do.. a house and a studio..

Man no wonder I'm broke I need to leave MD.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

OMG I want that!!! $200,000 wont even get you a condo in the hood in San Diego!!!!

Dont get fat out there james!!!!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mr. Lugo wastes no time

It's official:

http://raleigh.***************/muc/2586934168.html

http://raleigh.***************/muc/2586900085.html

[EDIT: It looks like these links won't work. Anyway, they're links to ads Mr. Lugo has placed on the local Raleigh/Durham Craigslist: "Train your voice with an American Idol coach relocating to NC Nov 1st" and "LA Record Producer James Lugo is relocating to Raleigh Nov 1st."]
Old 10th September 2011
good luck with your move... you'll love NC.... lots of indie bands to record there, too...
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
That's just plain scary.

Heck, you can buy a 1920s bungalow in a "transitional" neighborhood in Durham for $80,000.

hello fellow Durhamite.

I welcome all these people moving to the Triangle. It can only help my real estate grow in value and the economy in general.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru

good luck and it sounds like your lifestyle will improve... and the nature is beautiful out there. I sometimes think about going back. Certainly not a musically "dead" area either
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow. Congrats James, and very cool.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow...haven't checked in here for awhile & thought while I'm here I'll see what James is up to. Woaaahhh! That's cool, LA to NC. Change is exciting. Good luck with the move.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru

Nice! *Massive* respect to you for prioritizing family, and congratulations on the second child... the first in that cookie monster getup is friggin' adorable.

I'm envious you have a place to go where you can simply be near your family, my extended family is splintering this coming year as all of us move in different directions, including me relocating to LA later this month. My hope is to get myself and the wife rooted down, get a baby on the way, and help my folks settle out here as well where the climate is so conducive to 365 active, retired living.

Anyway, best of luck with all the exciting and challenging things to come, may you find everything you're looking for and more.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Because at some point I'm planing on leaving LA.
Will there be anyone left to turn out the lights? Back in the 1980's EVERYONE wanted to come to LA. Maybe you were one of them. Now everyone turned into Snake Pilskin.

"Escape From LA"?
Old 11th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenR View Post
Hey Tony, why don't you move to Nashville since you're into music?
Most musicians who are done with L.A. moved to Nashville and prices
are similar to NC.

Awesome! Ryker "CM" Lugo heh heh heh
lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search