The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relocating to Raleigh, North Carolina. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

James,

I have 4 children and they are growing up all too fast. Don't let it fly by you and miss it. The music will always be there. Your kids won't. I'm glad to here the expense of living in Raleigh may afford you more time with your family.

-JC
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe View Post
James,

I have 4 children and they are growing up all too fast. Don't let it fly by you and miss it. The music will always be there. Your kids won't.
I'm with you man.
Old 7th September 2011
LA

Seems like everyone I know in LA is divorced or exhausted....
Old 8th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
Seems like everyone I know in LA is divorced or exhausted....
LA is a great place and loaded with opportunity. I just think if you don't land the mother load you are working endless hours.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

So does this mean will will see a encore performance from Marko in SSL Install Part Deux?

heh
Old 8th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
So does this mean will will see a encore performance from Marko in SSL Install Part Deux?

heh
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, the answer is yes.heh I think I'm flying him out October 31st. hopefully the instal should only take a day or so. Everything works and plugs in, that's a big deal! He'll just have to hopefully just fix anything that went south on the trek and reseat some cards. The desk is running perfectly since we got it set up.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe View Post
James,

I have 4 children and they are growing up all too fast. Don't let it fly by you and miss it. The music will always be there. Your kids won't. I'm glad to here the expense of living in Raleigh may afford you more time with your family.

-JC
yeh man...my son is now 5 and it's all flown by...He doesnt live with me and I ache every day I dont get to see him..the time that they grow up is so special and precious I dont want to miss any of it! We have such good fun together...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just wanted to wish you good luck and congrats on the second young-un!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow just think....traffic will no longer be an issue. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Good luck with the move.
Old 8th September 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Wishing you and your family all the best James!

Chris
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good luck with the move and cheers to looking toward the best years of your life! I read a revitalized James in this thread, and ready to rock again! Keep Rockin James!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Good Luck James!

North Carolina has a great many cool musicians, and always has. It must be in the water or something.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

James..The career stuff will work itself out and i'm sure you'll do fine bro! The important thing is YOU ARE SO BLESSED!!!!! Congrats on having another baby!! The MOST important thing in life is family. I'm happy for you sir!

By the way, My best friend is moving here to Nashville from LA and several other friends are moving out of SOCAL as well. I cut out of there last year because we just couldn't see how we could make it out there without killing ourselves and the only think I will kill myself at is my music Good luck buddy and i'm sure you'll be very happy.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

The end of an era...

Welcome to the country life, you'll enjoy it and I see that you'll be in good company. Plus, lower overheads will let you sleep better, that alone is worth the price of admission. And you still have your toys to play .

Good luck and all the best
Old 8th September 2011
Hey James,

got a 4 year old daughter, wife is pregnant 30th week (this time a son), lost my father last year, and moved last year. I feel with you.

Well, in our case the move was just inside town. Before the move, we lived in a rented apartment, and my Mom who lived a few kilometers away and became 74 years old started to need more and more help. So we decided to buy a house big enough for all of us to live there. My Mom has the flat on ground level, we are upstairs. Downstairs there is a small apartment that we use for photography and music.

It is such a good thing to have the family with you, and I mean not only wife and kids. My Mom enjoys greatly seeing her grandchild every day whenever she wants, and sometimes she is also a great help for us, since this second pregnancy is going through a lot of complications (kidney stones, colics, infections, morning sickness even until week 30 now...) and it is much easier for us going to the doctors or even hospital when necessary since my Mom can babysit our daughter.

Seeing your children grow up in a better environment, having more time with them, and having family around is worth the change and business risk. I am sure you will be successful, and maybe you will even make a better living with less working hours (70% reduced bills is already quite something...)! Hey, plus, you get to shout and shred live again!

Long story short:
YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING AND WILL NOT REGRET IT.
That's what I wanted to say.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Change is good.......

All the best.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Carolina is where they'll bury me, I can tell you that right now!!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Congratulations on the decision, James. I'm really pleased to hear you're getting out of Hell-A.

The place seems so silly when you're trying to raise children and the schools / social environment / attitude / temptations / costs are just awful there.

You are an inventive and talented fellow who will bloom where you're planted.

STRONG MOVE!
Old 8th September 2011

Congrats, James.

As I posted in the other thread, my sister and her family LOVE it down there - they're in the triangle. It seems to be a great place to raise a family. The pace is awesome (in this case a serious downshift from NYC), people are friendly, cost of living is WAY more affordable, and lots of healthy local food. Plus you have quite a number of great resources, thanks to the Universities, etc. Some aspects of professional economy continue to grow there, as well.

Sounds like a wise move, my friend. I wish you and your family all the best.

Peace, happiness, health, prosperity and continued inspiration.
Keep us updated, dude.

I guess you'll have to change the LA to RA

And sending you best wishes regarding your dad's passing. Losing my dad was the single most difficult experience in my life.

Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Congrats james! Sounds like an exciting adventure. And I know I speak for a lot of us here on the forum when I say that there has been a hole since the install thread that needs to be filled! Please document the move of the studio.....that will be and undertaking worth watching.
The carolinas are beautiful and peaceful. Great place to raise kids, I know they will love it!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good luck on the move James. You made the right decision!
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by americansun View Post
It's funny that the guy who defended L.A. so many times is now on the escape although I can understand why. However... All the people, I know, who left L.A. came back sooner or later because you need to be around to stay in the game. Nonetheless I wish you all the best for you and your family but I bet everything that you'll be back again. heh Also, you will start to miss your friends and the warmth of the sun! heh heh heh Jeff
I was born there and lived there most of my life up until 2005. I only know about 3 people that are still there from my youth. They are the remaining frogs in a slowly boiling pot of water.

Everyone else "Escaped From LA", all say it was a good move, a necessary move.

I'm not sure what "game" you're talking about, anyone in So. Cal can drive into LA, if needed. Many are relocated in Ventura, Santa Barbara Co. and here in San Diego Co. You don't need to live in hell to work in hell, unless that's your choice.

Yes, I still have my beach, 72 degree weather and more friendly folks that can speak English too! Sure beats living in the Capitol of the Third World.
Old 8th September 2011

Thanks guys for all the support. I'm getting excited for a change. I'm kind of pumped to have my studio at my house, I've had a commercial facility for a decade now and really want to be creative at night and can't. After a long day at work once I'm home I'm not into going back but if it's in my basement I think I will be more apt to write and sing.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good move James! Family has a value that when you finally realize it, exceeds all. I had to give up my recording career almost completely when my son was born and am now just easing back into it. Actually it was beneficial to me in that my ears are fresher along with my approach to making music. I'm not suggesting you give it up, but maybe in this situation you might have to stand back and take a different view of it. It's not always a bad thing is all I'm saying. Good Luck!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Congrads on the move! I lived in LA for many years and I think you won't want to go back once you leave. I was stationed in NC for a while while in the Army many years ago. NC has some of the nicest people in the USA. I love the western part of the country, but if I were to ever head to the east, NC would be my first choice.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Reading your posts and watching your videos have been an inspiration for me. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!
Old 8th September 2011

This is what I've been missing when working 14 hours a day:

heh
Old 8th September 2011
James, I'm excited for you and bummed for us.It was always great to think that you were just around the corner so to speak. I do want to see the video of getting the console down into the basement. If you need anything whenever you come back to town just ask.

Steve McDonald
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good luck James.

LA was better for having you around. You will be missed.

As for the cover gigs. Some of the best times I had in music was in cover bands. Is there anything better than great musicians lockin the socket live?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Lots of good reasons to move already echoed above I won't repeat. But the fact that you are going to get into gigging again is great. I'm on the east coast myself though way up here in Western Mass. What was interesting is that no matter how much studio work I did, I always found myself gigging on keyboards or running live sound. It's nice to keep that side going. Just remember to wear earplugs. Keep on rocking, and have a safe move east.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search