The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
why are preamps so important?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I see the word 'decent' thrown around alot. Lets define decent.
Old 21st September 2011
If you want to make really stellar recordings, ones that sound great, not just good, average or acceptable, you need no weak links in the chain and preamps (along with many other things) suddenly take on a much greater importance than they might if the goal was more modest. Assuming, of course, that the source sounds great acoustically within the space they're playing/singing, and the engineer knows their craft, otherwise the money and effort's just being thrown away...
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
Phantom powered condensers generally aren't too fussy about the particulars of the preamp that follow. The impedance is almost certain to be high enough not to load the mike's output stage, and generally you won't need 60+ dB of gain. The differences are mostly style points in terms of the sonic character of the preamp.
For completeness, I suppose I should add that the noise floor in this case will generally be dictated by the self-noise of the mike capsule, and not usually the input noise of the preamp.

Cheers,

Otto

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search