The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cloudlifter and standard condenser microphones Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cloudlifter and standard condenser microphones

Hi there,
I just bought cloud lifter for my ribbon microphones but I also wanted to try it out with my beyerdynamics mc930 for finger picking guitar recording. Usually, I struggle to get proper gain during my fingerpicking sessions hence; I wanted to get an extra boost with cloudlifter. Unfortunately, when I try using it the signal gets muted and when I plug SM58, or any ribbon mic the signal is very powerful (as expected). Is there anything I can do to make cloudlifter compatible with other microphones even though I know it is not designed to be used with standard condenser microphones?
Cheers
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cloudlifter intentionally blocks phantom power to protect ribbons. You'll need to use a phantom power supply between the 'lifter and the mic.

I can't imagine why you don't get enough gain without the booster, though! Looked it up and the SMP-500 has 64 dB gain, so mabeyou pay too soft or have the mic too far away? Many pres have only 50 dB gain...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wonder about your playing and your gain too.

I record fingerstyle, and I normally have to be careful not to go over with my transients.

I do, however, play a Maccaferri style guitar, which has some very sharp bright high notes.

Parlour guitars are quieter. But still. How strong are your fingernails?
Actually, there's a simple way to answer this: do you play gigs at all? Can people hear you?

I wouldn't worry too much about noise though. People recorded to tape for decades (and still do). Noise doesn't stop me enjoying Ramon Montoya or Robert Johnson. Pink noise sounds nice, a lovely soft little background cushion.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don’t play with nails and my sound is rather on a softer side. It seems that musicians/engineers, who commented on my other thread, are ok with levels below -12db and this is where most of my volume resides. I guess I shouldn’t worry about my levels been too low.
Thanks for all your responses!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search