The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia 19" xpressor with mid level conversion Audio Interfaces
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Elysia 19" xpressor with mid level conversion

So how bad is it really for one to use an analog compressor (Elysia xpressor) with mid range convertors (motu traveler mk1)? I've heard a lot of guys say one shouldn't even try it... Why do I find it hard to believe this? Or should I take heed and not fall into this trap? Thx
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

What "trap"?
If you have the compressor, use it.
If the traveler is your converter, use it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bear in mind that converters aren't a tone shaping device, like an eq or a compressor. You will undoubtedly hear a difference in your signal when run through the Elysia, whereas most of the people on this board who make grandiose statements about conversion couldn't distinguish between a motu and a lynx aurora in a blind test. Get the xpressor and don't look back.

By the way, these comments are equally relevant in the context of comp vs. pre. Search the thread 'mic pre frenzy...why?' for more on the subject.

Chris

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecorner View Post
So how bad is it really for one to use an analog compressor (Elysia xpressor) with mid range convertors (motu traveler mk1)? I've heard a lot of guys say one shouldn't even try it... Why do I find it hard to believe this? Or should I take heed and not fall into this trap? Thx
I have an xpressor across my DAW's 2-bus. I'm running a M-Audio Profire 2626. The truth about converters is that they're all pretty damn good these days, even the cheap(er) ones. The weaknesses of converters really only become apparent when you have the same signal going from D/A and A/D many times, which is something I don't expect that you'll do with the xpressor.

MOTU's converters should be fine for your purposes, as M-Audio's are just fine for mine. If you own a studio or a mastering house, it pays to do things right and invest in high-quality A/D and D/A. But if you're just trying to set up a home project studio to record yourself or a few bands in, converters should be the least of your worries. The marginal utility of new converters is very small compared to that of high quality outboard (even if you'll be using that outboard with less-than-Cranesong conversion). In other words, your $ would be better spent on a compressor than new converters, IMO.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecorner View Post
Those who have told you this, don't actually know anything. Get the elysia
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search