The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please make me sane (MR816 + Mixing desk) Audio Interfaces
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Please make me sane (MR816 + Mixing desk)

Hey,

I'm looking to get a decent hybrid mixer with good control over Cubase 6 or any DAW. So I've looked around and the Allen & Heath GS R24 floats my boat.

Now, I'm a little confused about something. I'll be looking to record and mix local bands, I already have an MR816 unit as my audio interface and just trying to figure out how to connect it all.

Mics - > Wall Box - > Mixing Desk - > MR816 -> Cubase 6

Am I correct in thinking I can connect the desk to the MR unit using ADAT? And If I get another MR unit then daisy chain them it'll give me 16 channels that eliminates the need for another I/O right? Or will I need to get a MOTU I/O

Mics -> Wall box -> Mixing Desk - MOTU - MR816 - Cubase 6?

My brains been going potty over this lol..
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The MR816 has eight inputs - how many do you need?

If you need more I would get 8 more channels via the Adat (The Behringer ADA8000 is a cheap option) and not bother with a mixer - you wouldn't need one.

If you want better pres than the Behringer, you could do a lot worse than to get another MR816 and Firewire the 2 together.

Just go from the wallbox straight into the 16 channels on the 2 interfaces.

Job done!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would look into the rme stuff. You can find a pcie adat card with 24 or 32 adat inn/out for a good price. For example a rme raydat. I use raydat myself and its very stable AND you get rme's totalmix.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'd like 16, can't see my self ever needing to use more than that for recording...

The idea was to finally get a mixer and step it up & kick my local business up gear. I could still use the MR for monitoring I guess? Or keep it on a separate set up at home if I'm not going to be at the studio.

I don't mind forking out a little money. I just want some character in the set up you see, my original idea was:

* Mac Pro 8
* GS R24
* LA 610 mk2
* MR816 x 2 for 16 Channel (but now I'm thinking, "Do I really need it? or its pre's?")
* Headphone amp
* etc...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm still not sure why you think you need a mixer?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

What I'm trying to say is:

Mics -> Wall Box - GR desk - > (will I need an I/O unit like the MR or a MOTU?) -> Cubase 6

All I want to do is record bands and mix them using the desk, then slowly get a nice collection of outboard gear. I'm after a hybrid desk because I love the idea of having the digital integration with DAWs.

I'm trying to get my head around it, as I've not built a big recording set up before, I'm just used to mixing in-the-box with plug ins...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I see!

Well, when you record you could go straight into the 16 channels of interface.

Then, come mixtime, you could route the 16 outputs form the interfaces to the 16 inputs on the desk.

Then, take the 16 outputs from the desk back into the 16 inputs on the interfaces.

I have looked at this sort of system for myself and asked quite a few questions about it on here. The whole thing is a balance against the possible drop in sound quality of routing through a less than awesome desk, versus the opportunity to ditch the mouse and get hands on!

If you did the above, and whatever desk you choose is good enough, you get the benefits of hands on operation, harware inserts on the desk (for outboard) AND plugins and all the rest.

Sounds good to me!

Jim
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's a standalone converter.. Ferrofish A16 mkII, so you'll need an interface after that..
16 channels I/O AD/DA at 48k/24.. paired with a rme Digiface (or anything that has adat or MADI capabilities)..

Just my 0.02$,

I dunno if this info helped you out though..

Good luck with your search..

Bests,

Cheu
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Was just doing some reading on the GR's interface module. There's a choice of analogue & Firewire, so if I opted for the analogue interface (with the D-Sub connectors) does this mean, for the sake of me understanding the chain 100% (I'm going to use avid as their new stuff uses db25s) the chain goes:

Mic -> Wall Box - GR Desk, DB25 to -> Avid HD interface -> Pro Tools -> then -> Pro Tools -> Avid HD interface DB25 -> GR Desk to mix?

If I've got the right I finally got my head around it, all these connections I've never used before are driving me loopy lol
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

It is probably not the answer, but the Yamaha N12 is a very good mixer. As Yamaha own Steinberg, the N12 operates Cubase seamlessly. Also, the converters and preamps within the N12 are identical to the MR816, so you could sell the MR816 and still retain the same high quality conversion. The MR816 or N12 will give the RME FF800 a hard fight any day of the week in terms of conversion, so I would be loathed to abandon it.

Another thing about the N12, is that it comes with it's own monitoring system, so you do not have to add an external one. I think the N12 is amazing, plus it looks substantial enough, for if you are going to record bands. The preamps are really good, so they come in handy.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Or just get Mackie 1640i
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
I don't think you can get 16 outs from two MR816s. I have a 816CSX and an 816X and when I first set them up could only get the 8 outputs from the master to route out. I read that Steinberg was planning to address this with a firmware update but don't know if it's happened.

For the OP's needs, including the idea of having the 816s as mobile for work at home, that's possible. If your console has direct outs, I'd just run my mics and other inputs into the console and route the direct outs to the 816s for recording. But you'd have so much invested in 816's, I'd consider biting the bullet and consider other options like the SSL Alpha Link + MADI Xtreme or MX-4.

You can also buy good mic splitters and feed the mixer and A/Ds off of separate splitter legs.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

you can stack up to 3 MR816 and get 24 channels + more io

but why a mixer? you cant bypass the preamps on the MR816, so you will be driving the line out of the mixer into the MR816´s pres. Each MR816 has only 2 insert fx points, so in a 3x setup you have 6 clean channels for external preamps and stuff.

If you like the MR816´s preamps why not just use that, instead of a mixer? and maybe get a control surface

I did something similar to that + a summing box
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Right, been having a think... If I have 3 MR816s could I use an ADAT breakout box to have an extra 8 in for connecting more external hardware?

I think you guys are right, scrap the mixer and get a CC121 or something. I just want some nice external gear.

How do you bypass the MRs pre-amps? Is it one of those half in connection jobs?

EDIT: Also, would the summing mixers connect via adat?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTinkle View Post
How do you bypass the MRs pre-amps? Is it one of those half in connection jobs?
For channels 1 and 2, plug the output of your outboard pre into the insert on back. For channels 3-8, if you use an outboard pre, turn the 816 channel gain to zero and plug the output of the outboard pre into the 816 mic input. That won't bypass the mic pres on channels 3-8, but it's the best you can do.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTinkle View Post
EDIT: Also, would the summing mixers connect via adat?
Nope, you need to use the analog outs. Or if you send the digital adat to another device, use the analog outs of such device.

I have 3 MR816s, 2 of them provide 16 analog outs for the summing mixer, the other MR816 gives me another 8 DA for the external hardware.

24 x 24 analog + 3 spif + 6 line inputs + 18 preamps + the aditional digital io is hard to beat for 1,800 bucks.

The DA is very, very good. No brainer for the price point plus all these extras.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Nice one for the info guys, saving me some right confusion! The only thing irritates me with the MR unit is the headphones are on the front panel, what headphone amp could you recommend that isn't a Behringer for musicians playing in the studio?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search