The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What dynamic mic is one step down from the SM7B? Apogee One/Fethead pre + what mic? Dynamic Microphones
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

What dynamic mic is one step down from the SM7B? Apogee One/Fethead pre + what mic?

What dynamic mic is one step down from the SM7B quality wise? I'm going to pair the Apogee One with a decent dynamic mic for vocals and the SM7B is a little out of my price range. I want to get the Apogee One and Fethead pre but I can't decide what mic to get. My budget is $500 for everything. I can get the Apogee One from ebay for $200, the fethead pre for a little over $100, but I'm stuck on the mic that's going to be used for my untreated room. Sooo that means I need the best dynamic mic I can get my hands on for no more than $200. Any help?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Heil PR30 is better than an SM7, hustle and find one for just a little over $200.

Hint: call Heil, ask if they have any returned/cosmetically damaged/demo/etc. stock

FetHead is not a preamp, buddy. It uses phantom power to give you like 20dB or whatever of pretty clean gain. Gonna use the Apogee's preamp for the rest (~35 dB) of the gain? You better, because FetHead ain't a preamp. It's in the modern category of 'phantom powered microphone line amplifiers' or whatever you want to call it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search