The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Opinions on my studio setup choices. DAW Software
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Need Opinions on my studio setup choices.

Ok, this is my first post, but ive been reading this fourm awhile and ya'll have helped me out with a million things, so a million thanks.

I currently going to invest a decent amount of money into a portable, yet very high quality studio. Heres the run down :

Microphones :
2 Blue Sparks
2 Blue Reactors
1 Blue Woodpecker

Mic Pres :
5 Blue Robbie Mic Pres

Interface/Control Surface/Multitrack recorder :

Zoom R16

Now, the mics are great, the pres are great, so my signal chain is perfect so far. However, I am a bit worried about sending such a great signal into the Zoom R16, because it probably doesnt have the best a/d converters, and it only costs $399 so the electronics aren't so great (I assume).

But the R16 is very portable, runs on batteries, has 8 inputs, DAW control, and is an overall great deal for the price. I'm just worried that im putting alot of money into the mics and pres, only to send the signal into a garbage interface.

I've read all the specs, and reviews i can find for all the mentioned products.

i've been looking at some presonus interfaces, mackie pro tools m powered boards, allen and heath usb interfaces, but I think I like the R16 the best, because it does so much, and the price is great. I really wanted to go with firewire, but all my money is going into the mics and pres, since they are the most important part of the signal chain.

Hardware : macbook pro 2.4 Ghz intel core duo 4 gig ram
Software : Logic 9, Pro Tools M Powered, Melodyne, Reason, smaart

any opinions/feedback would be much appreciated.

-Adam
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

I've decided the mics I'll be getting are 8 blues, 2 sparks, 2 reactors, 1 woodpecker, 1 mouse, and two dragon flies. along with 8 blue robbie mic pres.

the only problem im facing is deciding on an 8 input interface, but ive narrowed it down to 2 :

Zoom R16 - from what ive read, it has latency problems when recording directly to a DAW, but you can record to the device and export .wav files easily. 24bit/44.1khz . this is a portable recorder which can run on batteries. its also a daw controller/mixer, which is really the selling point as opposed to a normal interface.

m audio pro fire 2026 - this seems like the only other alternative, and its much better a/d conversion, firewire, way better conversion quality (even though its m audio) but no faders, no daw control, not a recorder, i'd always need my MBP to use it, as opposed to the portability of the r16.

i want to keep my setup very simple, great mics and pres, one great portable interface, but im just not sure if using the r16 would due justice to the expense im putting into the mics and pres.

suggestions? i plan on being a mobile studio, moving between my home, and lots of local music schools and local venues, with nothing but awesome mics, an interface, and a laptop.

basicly, would i be wasting money the the nice mics and pres if i put the signal through the r16?

anyone have any experience with these two interfaces?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search