The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How good is the Xpressor 500 as a stereo BUSS compressor? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

How good is the Xpressor 500 as a stereo BUSS compressor?

Like the title reads.... haha
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

really good.

I guess the real answer lies a little in what you have already. I have the Dramastic Audio Obsidian that is my first choice for 2 buss compression. But, the Xpressor is more than capable. If it was the only option for the job, for me, it would be just fine.

The bonus for the Xpressor is it can do 2 bus and so much more. Have you seen the demo video on the Elysia website?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike333 View Post
really good.

I guess the real answer lies a little in what you have already. I have the Dramastic Audio Obsidian that is my first choice for 2 buss compression. But, the Xpressor is more than capable. If it was the only option for the job, for me, it would be just fine.

The bonus for the Xpressor is it can do 2 bus and so much more. Have you seen the demo video on the Elysia website?
Exactly, it's what got me turned on to the idea in the first place. That video really seemed to demonstrate the unit as doing quite well on just about everything. I've just never actually seen one in action in real life.

It seems great as it would function as a stereo buss as well as 2 channels of mono comp with lots of options. I've got a 3630 and an ART TCS for 4 more channels of mono backup as well. I just want to step up my game for the stereo buss as I don't like to use the cheaper units in stereo linking mode.

I think I'm going to pick up the Radial Workhorse 5000 and use it's 8 channel summer so I've got an analog stereo sum to go with the Xpressor 500. Have you ever heard the summing on the workhorse 5000? Is it worth the extra bucks?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Never used that Radial Workhorse, sorry.

But you'll be happy with the Xpressor in whatever rack you put it in!
Old 7th September 2011
Best Bang for the buck.. or so they say.
Old 7th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

The xpressor is kind of made for mix buss and does a great job. While it does not do dual mono (stereo linked only) it really does a good job at tracking mono sources too if needed. I would not overlook that...the FAST circuit is insane at handling transients too if you need to do dare-devil work. The GRL circuit is interesting in that you can limit HOW MUCH to compress, which allows you to do things like reference the threshold LOWER into the signal without having to pound it deeper.

Very versatile box, most probably only use it on 2 buss though the feature set arguably makes it better in other areas when not so gentle compression is desired.

War
Old 7th September 2011
It depends what your looking for i think. I have an xpressor 500, the best way to describe it is it's a very featured and functional decent sounding unit. It doesn't really add magic but it's not supposed to I don't think. It has some very nice features like GRL, Mix amount, and built-in sidechain filter that make it very nice and convenient. It's attack action is very linear to my ear so it can get abit abrubt on some accents. It has an auto fast feature wich will let no quick spikes through.

By Comparison is my other nice stereo comp a Cranesong STC 8. Not a fair comparison I know because the Crane costs almost 5 times the price. The crane has a smoother feeling attack and just kind of floats on the buss. It is much more forgiving on accents, but also has an auto-attack feature. i guess the word I hear around here for a description would be, less grabby. Come to think of it maybe the xpressor is a peak sensing compressor and crane is an RMS sensing. That might explain the behavior.

I won't lie the Crane actual sound quality is better, but the xpressor really is a great unit and there are times when I would pick it on the buss over the Crane. I would think if i want a more aggressive sound with faster reaction to slam the drums with. Xpressor does reduce the highs somewhat to my ear during GR. The Crane does not. I have no doubt If I were to compare the Elysia Alpha compressor it would be a different ballgame, and the fact I could even mention the xpressor in comparison to an almost $5000 compressor is pretty impressive for the little guy. My only problem with it is the led in the elysia logo, it floods out from behind the GRL light and some button lights making them hard to see.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I really like my 500 series xpressor on stereo buses (I use my LA610 and Slate Dragon for mono tracking duties). Very "grabby" indeed. I like to slam stuff hard in parallel. Like many have said, it's not a mojo-box. It's very clean but, like all gear, it has its own feel and sound to it. I really like mine, and for the $ there's nothing that can touch it.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for the reply's guys.
I really appreciate your input.

I'm seriously considering an Xpressor 500 for my stereo BUSS
and either a Buzz "essence" or "potion" for my mono comp.

From what I understand the essence is very clean, and the potion is more colored like a FET.

Do you guys think it would be in my best interest to go for the potion since I could use the Xpressor for mono singles as a clean comp?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Xpressor does the 2bus, no doubt.

Not only it does have its on sound signature
but also a very characteristic way of compressing the material, very recognizable once you know the unit.
It doesn't get "dirty" but don't forget the warm mode, which is really
not so subtle.
With that said, 2bus or not, the xPressor is just fantastic.

It doesn't take my 2500 from the 2bus, well nothing does that,
but is ALSO a great tracking and mixing compressor for vocals, bass, and pretty much anything you throw at it, and more than usable in mastering as well (yes even if it doesn't cost 10k+)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search