The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking about a new Radial Workhorse 5000 with an Xpressor 500 for the stereo buss. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th September 2011
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Thinking about a new Radial Workhorse 5000 with an Xpressor 500 for the stereo buss.

Has anyone used the Workhorse 5000? Is the summing mixer any good? Worth the buy for the sum?

How would the Xpressor 500 fair as a stereo buss compressor for the master channel?

I'm seriously thinking of going this route,
I would plan on including the following 500 modules with the purchase:

1 - Xpressor 500
1 - LaChappell 583e
2 - API 512c
2 - Daking 500 Mic Pres
Old 7th September 2011
  #2
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Has anyone used the Workhorse 5000? Is the summing mixer any good? Worth the buy for the sum?

How would the Xpressor 500 fair as a stereo buss compressor for the master channel?

I'm seriously thinking of going this route,
I would plan on including the following 500 modules with the purchase:

1 - Xpressor 500
1 - LaChappell 583e
2 - API 512c
2 - Daking 500 Mic Pres
I liked the Xpressor 500 on 2 buss, it has its own vibe and retains its tone even at hard smashing. Only issue I didn't like?, it's narrow sounding and I love width.
Old 7th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

I have to ask why would you go for 500 series with a summing mixer and use 1/4 of it for a buss comp?
Old 7th September 2011
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
I have to ask why would you go for 500 series with a summing mixer and use 1/4 of it for a buss comp?
I've already got a BLUE "Robbie" and an ART GOLD MP with refitted tubes for 3 more analog preamps. Gives me tube colors too. I need a good stereo buss comp option though, as the rest of my comp rack is just an alesis 3630 and ART TCS. (They're okay as mono parallel comps, but I want something better to work my stereo buss).

Are you suggesting I shouldn't have as many Pres and think I'd be better off with more comps/eqs?

The LaChappell Pre looks amazing. It's got an intense EQ on it too, but it would be my only quality EQ. I wanted the 512c and Daking 500 mic pres in stereo couple so I can use them for rooms and stereo imaging.

Thanks for replying!
Old 7th September 2011
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I liked the Xpressor 500 on 2 buss, it has its own vibe and retains its tone even at hard smashing. Only issue I didn't like?, it's narrow sounding and I love width.
Have you got any audio examples of the Xpressor narrowing an image?
I must admit, I prefer wide too.
This review discourages me a bit, but it still seemed quite wide on the video demo. (Maybe that's just the stereo buss it was on though).

Can anyone else comment on the Xpressor's width?

Thanks for replying!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump