The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Newbie and New Studio advice - reasonable budget Consoles
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Newbie and New Studio advice - reasonable budget

Hey all,

I'm new here. Hello!

So, I'm looking to set up a new studio. I currently use Logic and will carry on using Logic but I will also start using PT9 for Audio recording and more bandy stuff whereas Logic will be for the Electronic side of things.

I have a budget of around £30 000.

I was looking at the C|24 control surface as a foundation but I realise it's getting pretty old now and surely there's a new one imminent (with Pre amps etc)???

I was also looking at the new Apogee Symphony that looks pretty tasty!?

I guess these won't work together right? I need an AVID module for the C|24 control surface to work. Is that right?

I also need a new Mac and was waiting for the new ones but there's no news yet! Any ideas on when they'll be out? (the Mac Pro tower or whatever they're called now. I'm on a G5!)

A new screen too (Thunderbolt?)

But then I was also considering going down the route of getting the SSL Matrix. Any opinions on this?

Or an older console perhaps?

All these questions!

New monitors too. I currently have NS10s and Event 20/20s. I very much like the big wooden B&Ws but also the Focals. Any opinions here?

Anyways, ANY help greatly appreciated!!! I realise I'm a newbie and I've probably made a load of spelling mistakes but hey ho

Muchos thanks in advance

K
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Didn't realise that smiley would be so annoying. Soorry! :(

Anyways, on the monitor front ... around £4k. What do You suggest?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ok, I'm now wanting Manley TNT pre. May need to make do with my current monitors for now. Any thoughts on the Manley TNT? Seems good reviews here already from a few years ago.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

P.S: Also going with cheaper monitors so that's gonna save some room!
Dell U2311H LCD Monitor x2 - Seem decent enough
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey congrats! Great to hear you have a budget, that you're excited and that you have a room to use.

If it was me, I'd save the 30k and work at a bunch of already existing studios until I had a clear opinion about what gear I'd want in my own.

Why would you want to spend 30k on your livliehood before you know with every fiber of your being, from experience exactly what you want?

Sounds like some more planning is in order, but your enthusiasm rocks, so good luck!
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

yeah, i was kinda hoping this thread would help with the planning but it seems it's gonna be a lone ramble!

anyways, maybe i should start a lunchbox rather than the Manley. With a AMS NEVE 1073LB Mono Mic Preamp Module! mmm
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

and maybe the Juggernaut 500 (I'll stop adding question marks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search