The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multitrack recorders... (low end) Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Multitrack recorders... (low end)

Is there a piece of equipment that would be able to:

1) play lengthy amounts of multi track audio (3 - 4 tracks)
2) send midi program change information
3) have multiple auxes for individual in ear mixes for drummer etc?

I already use a laptop regularly on tour - but it's bugged out and crashed a few times on stage which is so embarrassing. I have looked extensively at things like the MPC1000. The great thing about the AKAI MPC1000 is the fact that it can send midi program change messages to external gear, which is what I need in sync with the tracks to change settings on my antares autotune processor. The auxillary outputs on the MPC1000 are also amazing to send out click tracks etc. The MPC1000 is so close, literally the only thing it's failing on is the length of sample which is nowhere near long enough to play a whole set.

Any help is appreciated
Old 6th September 2011
How I wish there was. For the exact same reasons.

I've been looking at the MPCs too ... but the RAM memory limitation is too huge. AFAIK they can't stream audio from disk - you would have to create a sequence to load chunks of audio ahead of time so you can trigger them, while playing back the previous chunk.

<hint to developers>
I wish there was an iPad app to do this ... should be possible
</hint to developers>

Seems like i'm doomed to taking a lappy with me ... sucks
Old 6th September 2011
BTW, I need midi note data too for my TC voice processor harmonies ...
Old 7th September 2011
bump
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's your solution :

Octatrack | Elektron

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenthesheppard View Post
Is there a piece of equipment that would be able to:

1) play lengthy amounts of multi track audio (3 - 4 tracks)
2) send midi program change information
3) have multiple auxes for individual in ear mixes for drummer etc?

I already use a laptop regularly on tour - but it's bugged out and crashed a few times on stage which is so embarrassing. I have looked extensively at things like the MPC1000. The great thing about the AKAI MPC1000 is the fact that it can send midi program change messages to external gear, which is what I need in sync with the tracks to change settings on my antares autotune processor. The auxillary outputs on the MPC1000 are also amazing to send out click tracks etc. The MPC1000 is so close, literally the only thing it's failing on is the length of sample which is nowhere near long enough to play a whole set.

Any help is appreciated
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anything going for less than a billion pounds? :p

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I am sure there must be some sort of multitrack recorder with a few outputs that can send out simple midi messages for external processor control? Something less than 500?! This is doing my head in now, there can't actually be a gap in the market!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

LOL

It's not a billion pounds, just a thousand at dv247. Not that expensive for what it does. I don't think you'll find another device that does exactly what you want. The Octatrack was devised exactly for the needs you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenthesheppard View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!

Anything going for less than a billion pounds? :p

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I am sure there must be some sort of multitrack recorder with a few outputs that can send out simple midi messages for external processor control? Something less than 500?! This is doing my head in now, there can't actually be a gap in the market!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search