The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
very old cool mixing desk for 1eur Dynamics Plugins
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

very old cool mixing desk for 1eur

very old cool mixing desk for 1eurAltes Mischpult im Holzschrank für Bastler | eBay

not mine, was just browsing around and spotted this.
please let this not go to trash..
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru
It looks as cool as all get out, but what the hell is it?
Come on, give us non German speakers a clue!
Old 7th September 2011
This is what Babelfish gives me:

*For hello it offering on an old self-build mixer from good old Zeit.Das the mixers is only something for amateur handicraftsmen or collecting tanks it there is defective. In the mixer no tubes are more available however it are still another resounding tape blocked. Due to the use-pure and because it is defective, it is starting from 1.00 euros in auction after end the auction is the mixer in approx. 5 days to be fetched. (08223 falcon stone ith V.) with questions please 0160/96206927 call. That is a private sale thus no warranty or cancelling of the commodity and races from the law knows everyone. And now much fun when offering!!! "

Too far to ship something this heavy here.

I hope somebody gets it and restores it though. At least a pair of channels to see what it sounds like.

john
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
This is what Babelfish gives me:

*For hello it offering on an old self-build mixer from good old Zeit.Das the mixers is only something for amateur handicraftsmen or collecting tanks it there is defective. In the mixer no tubes are more available however it are still another resounding tape blocked. Due to the use-pure and because it is defective, it is starting from 1.00 euros in auction after end the auction is the mixer in approx. 5 days to be fetched. (08223 falcon stone ith V.) with questions please 0160/96206927 call. That is a private sale thus no warranty or cancelling of the commodity and races from the law knows everyone. And now much fun when offering!!! "

Too far to ship something this heavy here.

I hope somebody gets it and restores it though. At least a pair of channels to see what it sounds like.

john
Ah, thanks. That really clears it up.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Too bad it is "too far to ship this heavy here"... there is some serious steam punk potential in that baby.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Looks like either a wire recorder or a tape echo?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru
Anybody have a clue?
The bit on the right looks like it could be a tape echo type thing, but the rest of it looks nothing like an audio mixer.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Definitely a tape echo unit on the side. And enough knobs to be a small mixer. But I wonder if it is some sort of sound generating thing. Lot of things under there that look like electro-mechanical resonating elements. I see a large variable cap, and that long thing with the rods.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
It's hard to tell since it doesn't show any inputs or outputs, but yeah the right side is a tape echo. Perhaps it's like one of those 6 input Echoplexes? Anyway, cool as heck and definitely a steal at 1 euro!
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Can anyone make out any of the writing on the labels?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru
Bing did a slightly better translation.
Quote:
Hi it bidding on an old aerostyle mixer from the good old Zeit.Das is mixer only for hobbyists or collectors because it is defective.There are no tubes in the mixer, but it is still a reverb tape.Due to the wear and because it is defective, it is the mixer from 1.00 in the Auktion.Nach is at the end of the auction in ca 5 days pick up.(08223 Falkenstein i. V.)If you have questions please call 0160 / 96206927.So that is no guarantee or withdrawal of the goods a private sale, and the races by law everyone is familiar with.And now have fun bidding!
Come on, gotta be some Germans out there to help us out!
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Try this:

"Hello. You are bidding on an old self-built mixer from the good old days. The console is only for hobbyists and collectors because it is defective. There are no longer any tubes in the mixer but there is still a tape reverb installed. Because of the wear & tear, and because it is defective, it is auctioned starting at 1.00€. After completion of the auction the mixer should be collected within 5 days from 08223 Falkenstein. For questions please call 0160/96206927. This is a private sale so there is no warranty or return of the goods as under the relevant legal terms. And now have fun bidding!"

From the look of it, and from the address (08223 Falkenstein is a little south from Chemnitz) this is something that was home-built in the former East Germany, and probably in the 60's or maybe 70's. God knows what the components are, and He ain't tellin'... It clearly has tubes in the design though, even when the actual tubes are no longer in it.

Give the seller a call and ask - maybe he knows. Be prepared though that he/she doesn't speak English - before the wall came down, Russian was the standard second language.

Good luck

Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru
Yeah, right...has been kind enough to solve the translation problem.
We're still left with the what the frikken frak is it problem.heh
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Yeah, right...has been kind enough to solve the translation problem.
We're still left with the what the frikken frak is it problem.heh
Hmmm, good question.

I was hoping someone from the ex-GDR would chime-in here? There are quite a few here on GS and they’re gonna know heaps more than I do. Don’t forget I come from NZ after all…

So, in their absence, clearly it’s a mixer, and it has a home built tape echo. I can’t make out the labels well enough to decipher them, but it appears the buttons on the bottom right of the desk may have something to do with the tape echo? I think I can make out “Solo” “Choir” Jazz” so maybe they are presets? Can’t be sure?

Also, there’s something in that bottom left compartment that has the door hanging off. Controls for a power amp maybe? Or maybe a power amp itself?

My gut feeling is this is something that was custom built for maybe a music venue in the ex-GDR? But don’t hold me to it please…

From talking to a lot of musicians from that part of Germany I know it was very difficult for most of them to get their hands on professional quality gear from the west without having some connection to the GDR regime. Thus they built their own. I’ve seen some extraordinary examples of this in my time here in Germany. Amps, guitars, and yes, the odd bit of PA gear, cobbled together from all manner of bits and pieces.

Again, give them a call and ask.

Good luck, Mike
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search