The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What makes your Studio Unique? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

What makes your Studio Unique?

Do you have 24' ceilings?
Do you have a chamber in the basement that you use?
Do you have a great restaurant down the street?

What makes your studio unique and awesome?

PS - the answer 'Me' is not acceptable.

EDIT - Alright, alright... You CAN say 'Me', but you better have a damn good unique reason why.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post

Damn...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

When I read title of the post the first thing that occured to me was ME
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
But that's the only answer to give. heh
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Moi.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

The specific patterns of dust sitting on it, due to the air currents produced by a sorry lack of musical motivation by the studio owner (namely- me).

OK- so it's a ME answer, but at least I dressed it up a little!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

If the answer can't be "Me," then someone will always be able to come super close to duplicating the next guy - it's just a matter of money. Especially in today's world, if "Me" isn't the answer, you'll be out of business in no time, because EVERYTHING but "You" can be had elsewhere.

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 6th September 2011

My studio is unique because it is all packed in a storage container with no room for any humans.

Hopefully that'll be changing shortly

matt
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Me....and I have a huge performance hall at my disposal upstairs of my main rooms with a massive vaulted ceiling that I use for ambient recordings, big sounding drums and as a reverb chamber. It's an old community center with a kitchen, 3 bathrooms, even showers and a few smaller iso rooms and chambers. All really cheap because I live in a small town where commercial space is next to free.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

We're in a barn in an apple orchard. We have a stage (sand filled) with PA. We're perfectly set up to do concert recording and sometimes video shoots are done here.

...all of that aside, the studio owner has made his living by being "the producer". He'll take a singer/songwriter, arrange the songs, hire musicians, and make a killer recording.

That's what we're good at. heh

...and Hardcore Expresso is down "at the corner". They have the best coffee I've had anywhere.
Old 6th September 2011
Deleted User #106149
Mines currently in a 4/500 year old English house which was also mentioned in the doomsday book. Whether that's a good it bad thing..... I always remember sting recording in a really old cottage in Scotland because of its atmoaphere and strange acoustics.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Compared with many other studios in the area:

I choose my work.
I don't edit - the musicians perform.
I mix at home, alone. No sit ins.

.. and crucially..

I actually get my dog to mix for me!
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

The singularly poor quality of my mixdowns. (Although they're great in headphones, as are probably everybody's.)
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

I
Since there's no "ME" options.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

What makes my current place (ellington studios) unique is that it has a decent sized good sounding live room with a beautiful grand piano. Our gear collection is about middle of the road for the area (miles above even some of the busy home studios, but there are some higher-end studios with more impressive gear lists), but is enough to make some great sounding records.

On top of that, the brick and industrial chic look that the studio happens to have gives a really cool vibe that musicians and singers seem to love.

All that to say that the looks and even gear list of a studio will only get you that first session with a client. After that, you've got to have good sounding records, great service quality, and a decent reputation in order to get that client back or have them refer you to their friends. The ability to do that as well is also something that makes us unique here (especially compared to many of DC's other studios).
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

My 'mixing desk' is seriously vintage, like 18th centuary:

Drum room ain't too shabby either:

Old 6th September 2011
NICE room man! I like it. Rustic and cool.

Nothing at all unique about my place.

I just try to not eff things up, and sometimes people come back.

john
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmmmmm.

1) Everything in my studio is paid for.
2) I only record people that I like who play music that I like.
3) I only record for free, but I do accept gifts in the form of cases of beer.
4) The gifts of beer go into the fridge... which is free and open to all.

It's like a circle of love and music. And beer.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

the people
acceptable or not - they make the difference
not any specific hardware or software
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

@Petermiles that set up is amazing! I love the desk and the drum room!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I`m a pretty darn good vocal coach (or at least I`ve been told) so I consider that a plus. I also read music with the best of them, know all the theory and what not so if something is not working from a performance or compositional/harmonic perspective, I can figure it out and save the day. All my years refining my chops at a conservatory level pays off anytime I do a session so for that reason, it was worth the craziness.

Gear is gear so the answer "me" really is what makes my studio different. I can tell you this, when I decide to work with someone, its not because of their room or their gear, it really is because of who that person is. I will give you an example, I work with a fellow for most of my recordings, he has great gear and hes a great drummer but honestly, hes such a great person, I have asked him to work with me on other projects just because of the vibe he brings. Its not about his gear or his room because we record at my tiny place at times. Its really about him.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, some awesome answers already!

I'd like to clarify that I only said that 'ME' wasn't an acceptable answer is because it applies to pretty much every studio. A successful studio is, of course, built on a foundation of people and relationships.

petermiles... love that space man!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a deaf dog (born that way) that will sleep in your kick drum while you play. He will help with things around the studio. Plus when you start crying from not being able to play to a click, he will make you feel better.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I record in a train carriage circa 1870, made of solid mahogany. Also have an old 1500 litre oil tank made into a reverb chamber..
Old 7th September 2011
It's called Stoner Studios (my surname!) but I have a strict no party favors policy
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I record in a train carriage circa 1870, made of solid mahogany. Also have an old 1500 litre oil tank made into a reverb chamber..
OK... now you GOTTA post pictures.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
OK... now you GOTTA post pictures.
+1!!
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

I have a great sounding live room filled with instruments and amps for the musicians to use

And

There's no DAW in my studio.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The fact I suck as an engineer!

Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I only have a home studio, but I help arrange clients and friends music, and i play a lot of different instruments on they're albums and demos. And I also have 4 vintage RCA ribbon mics

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search