The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What makes your Studio Unique? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles View Post
ok, i'm game.

There's a number of things, and this is really going to be one of those "revealing too much information about your self" kinds of response... So i hope you can forgive me.

You think you've seen bad messes.... Yeah, well you haven't seen my studio. In many ways this really comes down to ambience.. .and really it's "personal ambience" in the sense that the place is sorta like an outward manifestation of the darker places of my psyche.

I'm serious.. I [email protected] you not.

I suffer from sever social anxiety.. And i'm living in the house my parents lived in before my mom died and dad went in a nursing home. A lot of the home is still as it was.. When she pass.. Like nearly 4 years ago.. Because i'm still grieving... Mixed with a whole lot of other really big issues.. A lot has not really ben disturbed let alone.. Like.. Made so that it "works for me."

and just to make it more interesting.. The house is being sold by my father's guardian and there's been dangers of homelessness along the way. So that often adds a certain tension to the ambience of the space

to move around the house.. You gotta really have some dexterity to successfully maneuver the mess.

Ok.. But here's the thing right.

I'm both artist / producer / mixer guy and... Are you ready?

I'm kinda like a modern surrealist. Surrealism's intellectual foundation came largely from andre breton.. He was kind of the dictator of the group.. And was very close to freud in his whole thing about.. Trying to explore the unconscious in art.

I, as it happens, tend to be more of a follower of jung.. And so i have a different kind of dialectical relationship to the unconscious.. As a part of my work.

That the studio is a mess.. The ambience of the psychological reality of the grieving and the threats of homelessness.. And all kinds of other wonderful disorders and god knows what... All of this together.. Create a very unique kind of psychological state of mind... With which to work.

So that might be the most unique part.

also...

well ok.. How often do you buy gear cause you "need it" versus "you want it." like come on.. Gear buying is not really totally governed by the reason parts of us.. reason, really, is a tool for justifying madness.. In tool acquisition activities.

So i think of my tools as being an expression of.. Both a kind of philosophy.. Which is partly a kind of compensation strategy for madness or something... Although.. It might actually be a pretty solid philosophy despite that.. And my psychology...

So it's like.. I may have off the shelf tools... Stuff that like.. Lots and lots of other folks have.. And you know.. Very often it's software so there isn't even the kind of unit to unit variations you have with analog.. But it's the uniqueness of the combination of tools mixed with the objectives and whatever.. That gave birth to it.. Which came from the artist.. Came from the strange surreal dialectical psyche thing.

And that's really on the basic level.. What makes it unique.

So..

Yeah..

I thought that was kinda gonzo way of saying

"me."
awesome answer!!!
Old 10th September 2011
There is an Asian "Massage Parlor" in my building, and I get to watch them get raided twice a year!!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

i recorded a contrabass tonight with a KM64 and a special custome mic , and all i can say from the reactions is , ...THE SOUND!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

...simple.

me
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdick View Post
me
why?
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
why?

because he's him.

and nobody else is like him.

(except me)

i have his DNA samples to prove it heh

Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

- ergonomics: you can mix analog on the console with outboard or ITB with Euphonix controllers (or hybrid) and you never need to leave the sweet spot (rolling lowboy racks, and a well designed desk area.)

- stairwell chamber

- green building design

- it's an old firehouse

- prototype Genelec monitors

- variable acoustics

- All our stuff works

- we are a non-profit organization

It's actually a good exercise to think about this...
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

There's no gear in it
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles
ok, i'm game.

There's a number of things, and this is really going to be one of those "revealing too much information about your self" kinds of response... So i hope you can forgive me.

You think you've seen bad messes.... Yeah, well you haven't seen my studio. In many ways this really comes down to ambience.. .and really it's "personal ambience" in the sense that the place is sorta like an outward manifestation of the darker places of my psyche.

I'm serious.. I [email protected] you not.

I suffer from sever social anxiety.. And i'm living in the house my parents lived in before my mom died and dad went in a nursing home. A lot of the home is still as it was.. When she pass.. Like nearly 4 years ago.. Because i'm still grieving... Mixed with a whole lot of other really big issues.. A lot has not really ben disturbed let alone.. Like.. Made so that it "works for me."

and just to make it more interesting.. The house is being sold by my father's guardian and there's been dangers of homelessness along the way. So that often adds a certain tension to the ambience of the space

to move around the house.. You gotta really have some dexterity to successfully maneuver the mess.

Ok.. But here's the thing right.

I'm both artist / producer / mixer guy and... Are you ready?

I'm kinda like a modern surrealist. Surrealism's intellectual foundation came largely from andre breton.. He was kind of the dictator of the group.. And was very close to freud in his whole thing about.. Trying to explore the unconscious in art.

I, as it happens, tend to be more of a follower of jung.. And so i have a different kind of dialectical relationship to the unconscious.. As a part of my work.

That the studio is a mess.. The ambience of the psychological reality of the grieving and the threats of homelessness.. And all kinds of other wonderful disorders and god knows what... All of this together.. Create a very unique kind of psychological state of mind... With which to work.

So that might be the most unique part.

also...

well ok.. How often do you buy gear cause you "need it" versus "you want it." like come on.. Gear buying is not really totally governed by the reason parts of us.. reason, really, is a tool for justifying madness.. In tool acquisition activities.

So i think of my tools as being an expression of.. Both a kind of philosophy.. Which is partly a kind of compensation strategy for madness or something... Although.. It might actually be a pretty solid philosophy despite that.. And my psychology...

So it's like.. I may have off the shelf tools... Stuff that like.. Lots and lots of other folks have.. And you know.. Very often it's software so there isn't even the kind of unit to unit variations you have with analog.. But it's the uniqueness of the combination of tools mixed with the objectives and whatever.. That gave birth to it.. Which came from the artist.. Came from the strange surreal dialectical psyche thing.

And that's really on the basic level.. What makes it unique.

So..

Yeah..

I thought that was kinda gonzo way of saying

"me."

awesome answer!!!
Yeah, awesome answer, I bet this honesty is reflected in your work.
Old 14th September 2011
i love your studio. how much does an old church go for these days?- im being serious haha
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Do you have 24' ceilings?
Do you have a chamber in the basement that you use?
Do you have a great restaurant down the street?

What makes your studio unique and awesome?

PS - the answer 'Me' is not acceptable.

EDIT - Alright, alright... You CAN say 'Me', but you better have a damn good unique reason why.
there are two things, that make my studio unique:

1. i've worked on it since 1991 and it's still not finished
2. due to the fact that it consist of thousands of mediocre equipment you can describe it as "palace of mediocrity"
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Well my studio is in my apartment, which is where my dogs live. They like to fight with each other during session, and whine when you separate them. Makes for some frustratingly unique sessions.

Aside from that I have a ghetto vocal booth in my corner that I think sounds pretty awsome for how FREE it was!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Frogville is a unique studio in Santa Fe, 12 hr drive from Austin or LA.

we are in Santa Fe, New Mexico at 7000 feet above sea level nestled in the foothills of the rocky mountains.

Adobe (mud brick) + greenblock, cedar / pine ceilings with exposed beams we call Vigas in new mexico, that make a great reflexion, warm, woody.

the sound of our big tracking room. EVeryone walks out of there smiling!
it doesn't matter if it is a guy with a guitar, a five piece bluegrass band, a strings duo like violin/cello, a freakin mariachi band, horn section or a dog with a jaw harp......it sounds great!

seven drummers so far have testified we got the biggest fattest thickest drum sounds out of their kit in our room than at any other room or studio.

our control room is heated by a wood burning stove... the rest of the studio has radiant heat in the slab.

from the studio property 3.5 acres on a hilltop has 360 degree views of 3 diff mountain ranges and santa fe city lights....at night our hill becomes an island surrounded by a sea of lights below us!

we have a bunkhouse upstairs that can sleep 8 musicians.

we have a pretty cool amp collection... lots of toys, hammonds, wurlitzer, rhodes....we try to make it fun and easy.

the people we have are unique. characters. good people.

we have a main engineer, but there are 5 or 6 engineers in the state who use the facility, also have an assistant that can show ANY ENGINEER how our system / patchbay / routing works and where we hide all the mics!

our place is funky and everyone seems to like it like that....so many studios are too clean... too sterile..... too nice .... too expensive....and some folks just never feel comfortable there, so ours is relaxed, a little banged up, yet still nice and clean... but not too clean!

at our studio you have fun making the record and everyone likes the finished product... everyone smiles while they are here... and so far almost everyone has come back here to do it again... everyone of those ppl is telling their friends and we get a ton of new business through word of mouth.

oh we have a boutique record label and a weekly 1 hour radio show showcasing what has been recorded in our studio lately.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

My studio is situated in a nice old factory house in a backyard in a cozy area of Stockholm. It's above the ground floor and has big windows and a very nice ambience. This all made me take the step to invest to make it a good mix room. Room treatment, a 72 channel digitally controlled analogue Harrison Series 12 with total recall and full automation of every parameter, fed by 72 channels of PTHD, a nice collection of a few of the best compressors/outboard made today (Analoguetube, Fearn, Chandler, Retro, Thermionic Culture, ADL, SPL, Bricasti etc etc), 8 channels of Neve 1081/1084 for eq options, and a few other nice units covers most bases for me. I have a few clients renting now and then, but I use it mostly for my own projects that I produce. I love my work and my place, which is unique enough for me!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

there are no cracked software in my studio.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn Lavoll View Post

Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
One of the more astounding blog posts I have ever read. Remarkable vision and follow-through.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

The abundance of Killer coffee and the lack 500 series modules.

Sent from my Vortex using Gearslutz.com App
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPRYZ View Post
- All our stuff works
Now THAT'S unique. I don't think I've ever been in a studio which can make that claim.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

My studio is in a unique and remote location where the earths magnetic field freezes the motion of sound waves rendering perfect silence. I have constructed a device which generates a field that combats this effect within a controllable range. This allows us to record outside in nature with perfect sound isolation and also control the size of the room by adjusting the power of my field disruptor. Also, there is always perfect weather which is nice.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I beleave it's our attention to detale and are ability to communikate with musicans about lotsa stuff. We actually talk to the musicans (well, not the drummers or bass players, cuz there's no point), but to singers and guitar players. We're still trying to understand what they say when they talk back.
Old 22nd September 2011
Oop
Gear Addict

I'm using Neumann U87's as my monitors and I've got Barefoot MM27's miking the drum overheads!
Old 22nd September 2011
I have a saxophone.
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

well I'd say without any hesitation -my Eminent 310 Unique
Solina strings-organ heh
Old 19th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn Lavoll View Post

LOL.

Same though (so you're not uniqueheh).

Highly frustrating when other engineers come around and offer me their cracked wares, as if I should be thankful. Then they don't understand when I say "no".

matt
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict

Thunderbuns.
Old 19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
I designed and built my desk, racks, acoustic panels etc all for little $$$

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search