The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What makes your Studio Unique? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow some truely great studios

to quote Dion "Heres my story sad but true" I have moved for a number of reasons important only to me.

what made my former personal studio unique was none of the op's items with the possible exception of 'awesome".. it was LOCATION location location Which was "The Rim" at the edge of the wilderness in Wyoming and because of the location the Neighbors trust me were "awesome" just to name a few

Eddy

Franny

And last but not least Kitty Kitty
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've got Frank Zappa's Midas board but that's about it...
Old 8th September 2011
Frank Zappa has my circuits in his guitars. Check out Dweezil's tour and hear some. Or just listen to all those records. I'm not responsible for the Pignose tracks.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Frank Zappa has my circuits in his guitars. Check out Dweezil's tour and hear some. Or just listen to all those records. I'm not responsible for the Pignose tracks.
Nice!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
You sound like lots of fun to work with...
Actually, tracking and mixing to tape is still a pretty fun way to work if you can actually play something. The irony is that I've always been kind of Eno-like, in that my solo music is sometimes good but often obscure, while I seem to have more of a knack for really helping other people with greater talent and more conventional habits branch out and go beyond what they've done in the past.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
My wife brings cake and hot tea in when I am writing with guests in my studio
Old 9th September 2011
my studio is mobile. i go to my clients and make killer recording.

but this is because im still in college and cant afford to buy a place :(

but customers are happy with being in their own homes, because its the place where they wrote their music so i think it inspires them to preform better because they are comfortable and familiar.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Louis, the crazy bum that sleeps under our wheel chair ramp.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

we are not very famous for recording..
but we are the best studio in Rome for Pasta at launch

www.telecinesound.com
Old 9th September 2011
My so called studio is unique because you can change diapers on our baby just next to the computer.
Yes that's right-We're having a combined studio/diaper-change room.

How is that working for me?Well on the plus side it can be cozy when you got babies around but for making/producing/mixing music?
Forget about it
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
It's called Stoner Studios (my surname!) but I have a strict no party favors policy
This does not make sense to me? I would think with a name like Stoner studios you would get bands like the DOOBIE BROTHERS. If you want sober people as client why wouldn't you call it Straight Line productions or 12 STEPS?...... er a I guess it's sort of a tease. GT.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

In the middle of Oslo so if I ever get hungry there always a kebab open!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
My so called studio is unique because you can change diapers on our baby just next to the computer.
Yes that's right-We're having a combined studio/diaper-change room.

How is that working for me?Well on the plus side it can be cozy when you got babies around but for making/producing/mixing music?
Forget about it
You're just asking for bad jokes about shi**y mixes.
L.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

My studio is a unique combination of high-end microphones connected through high-end cables to a low-end mixer and low-end audio-interface in a treated room. With that combination I manage to get competitive results.

And, there's always "shopska" and "rakija" ready!

Shopska salad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
You're just asking for bad jokes about shi**y mixes.
L.

heh
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Hmmmmm.

1) Everything in my studio is paid for.
2) I only record people that I like who play music that I like.
3) I only record for free, but I do accept gifts in the form of cases of beer.
4) The gifts of beer go into the fridge... which is free and open to all.

It's like a circle of love and music. And beer.
Living the dream!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'm in a basement with some pretty large spiders. There's also a lot of cool woodworking tools. I guess I should buy something Frank Zappa related as well to complete the picture. EVERY Studio in the world should have at least one item that was owned by Frank Zappa at one point.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoyot View Post
I'm in a basement with some pretty large spiders. There's also a lot of cool woodworking tools. I guess I should buy something Frank Zappa related as well to complete the picture. EVERY Studio in the world should have at least one item that was owned by Frank Zappa at one point.
You get double points if you can get a lava lamp that was owned by frank zappa.

Regards,
Frank
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm in an old church.
Attached Thumbnails
What makes your Studio Unique?-img_0407.jpg   What makes your Studio Unique?-dscn3991.jpg   What makes your Studio Unique?-dscn3349.jpg   What makes your Studio Unique?-dscn3334.jpg  
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
My studio is a unique combination of high-end microphones connected through high-end cables to a low-end mixer and low-end audio-interface in a treated room. With that combination I manage to get competitive results.

And, there's always "shopska" and "rakija" ready!

Shopska salad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sounds like my rig! Really nice well treated space and great mics....the rest is crud if you read much of these threads. I have found that careful monitoring, with a pair of caring ears and plenty of time can make a world of difference.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

A well maintained, vintage bong collection... heh
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I guess my studio's unique super power would be the ability to create one of a kind musical noises and textures. I have some pretty sweet homemade and vintage analog synths, drums, modules, effects, CV controllers and circuit bent craziness that can be patched together or linked to audio to make some wicked musical madness.
Old 9th September 2011
What's special about here is we incorporate everything from a large format console with moving fader automation to 48 channels of Hard Disk I/O and a 2" 24 track machine and the ability to lock it all up seamlessly. And also did you look at my avatar? How many studios really have a Keeshond?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

SATAN
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy View Post
I'm in an old church.
MAGNIFIQUE! Damn... Love to record drums @ your place! Infact just a real record. All the band in the room and just play the strings off your surfboard
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I pay the hobos to sleep inside the studio as sound absorption.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
This guy?

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
Human bodies do have a very high sound absorption coefficient... Somewhere between 2.0 and 5.0, if I recall correctly.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy View Post
I'm in an old church.
That's super cool. I'd love to find an old church about that size.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, I'm game.

There's a number of things, and this is really going to be one of those "revealing too much information about your self" kinds of response... so I hope you can forgive me.

You think you've seen bad messes.... yeah, well you haven't seen my studio. In many ways this really comes down to ambience.. .and really it's "personal ambience" in the sense that the place is sorta like an outward manifestation of the darker places of my psyche.

I'm serious.. I [email protected] you not.

I suffer from sever social anxiety.. and I'm living in the house my parents lived in before my mom died and dad went in a nursing home. A lot of the home is still as it was.. when she pass.. like nearly 4 years ago.. because I'm still grieving... mixed with a whole lot of other really big issues.. a lot has not really ben disturbed let alone.. like.. made so that it "works for me."

And just to make it more interesting.. the house is being sold by my father's Guardian and there's been dangers of homelessness along the way. So that often adds a certain tension to the ambience of the space

To move around the house.. you gotta really have some dexterity to successfully maneuver the mess.

Ok.. but here's the thing right.

I'm both artist / producer / mixer guy and... are you ready?

I'm kinda like a modern surrealist. Surrealism's intellectual foundation came largely from Andre Breton.. he was kind of the dictator of the group.. and was very close to Freud in his whole thing about.. trying to explore the unconscious in art.

I, as it happens, tend to be more of a follower of Jung.. and so I have a different kind of dialectical relationship to the unconscious.. as a part of my work.

That the studio is a mess.. the ambience of the psychological reality of the grieving and the threats of homelessness.. and all kinds of other wonderful disorders and god knows what... all of this together.. create a very unique kind of psychological state of mind... with which to work.

So that might be the most unique part.

Also...

Well ok.. how often do you buy gear cause you "need it" versus "you want it." Like come on.. gear buying is not really totally governed by the reason parts of us.. Reason, really, is a tool for justifying madness.. in tool acquisition activities.

So I think of my tools as being an expression of.. both a kind of philosophy.. which is partly a kind of compensation strategy for madness or something... although.. it might actually be a pretty solid philosophy despite that.. and my psychology...

So it's like.. I may have off the shelf tools... stuff that like.. lots and lots of other folks have.. and you know.. very often it's software so there isn't even the kind of unit to unit variations you have with analog.. but it's the uniqueness of the combination of tools mixed with the objectives and whatever.. that gave birth to it.. which came from the artist.. came from the strange surreal dialectical psyche thing.

And that's really on the basic level.. what makes it unique.

So..

yeah..

I thought that was kinda Gonzo way of saying

"me."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search