The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacing NT5's for O-H's...with?? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Replacing NT5's for O-H's...with??

So I'm looking for something to replace my Rode NT5's for
O-H's. They work just fine, but I'm getting bored with them. Looking for something new, in the same price range. I've got one M179(original version). If I can fine another one cheap I'll use those.
Any other recommended options??......how are the AKG C1000's. They're pretty cheap on Ebay.
Idealy I'd like to get as pair of KSM 32's, or M160's.....both out of my range right now
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Look into the little blondies. Theyre hand made by a member here, and for the price they are unreal. Do a quick search and youll be able to find clips. PM the maker, he s a pleasure to deal with.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

the C1000 will be a noticeable step backward. i'm not too much of a gear snob but those things really suck.

KSM32s would be very all-purpose. not especially bright/hyped. you'll find tons of situations to use these in, both OH and otherwise.

M160s would be very specific. great mics but definitely not for every drum situation.

i honestly think at the price point, the NT5s are pretty damn solid.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Oktava MK-012's are great!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudop5000 View Post
Look into the little blondies. Theyre hand made by a member here, and for the price they are unreal. Do a quick search and youll be able to find clips. PM the maker, he s a pleasure to deal with.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Gearslutz.com App
Not familiar with them??......had a quick look at their site, and the price point is definitely there.....but, it says they're omni mics?. Am I reading that wrong??. Doesn't look switchable??.
That wouldn't be what I wanted for O-H's really. I'd still be very curious to try them out.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Hummm, good to know. I never used the C1000's before. I'll pass on those.....
I've never tried the Octava, but I know someone who has one, so I could try it out.
In a perfect world I'd have the KSM 32's and M160's.....but oh well.

Like I said, the NT5's are fine, even really good, and a great QPR factor. Been using them for years with no problems. I just want to hear something different. All my drum recording have the same kind of sound....So I'd at least like to have some options.

I just checked out some clips of the Little Blondies, and they are REALLY nice sounding mics, and the price is kinda silly......for that level of quality, Damn!!.
I'm going to contact Sahiaman and find out the scoop.

Thanks for all the responses
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buss-me View Post
So I'm looking for something to replace my Rode NT5's for
O-H's. They work just fine, but I'm getting bored with them. Looking for something new, in the same price range. I've got one M179(original version). If I can fine another one cheap I'll use those.
Any other recommended options??......how are the AKG C1000's. They're pretty cheap on Ebay.
Idealy I'd like to get as pair of KSM 32's, or M160's.....both out of my range right now
Why are you getting bored with them, what do you find that they are lacking? The Rode NT55's have omni and card. capsules to swap if you want more room sound. They are amazing in overheads for drums.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

If you are getting bored with the NT5s I'd check out an LDC pair, and probably would go with AT4050s - killer on OHs.
Old 6th September 2011
lulu FETs from Beesneez
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
I use Shure SM81's
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Why are you getting bored with them, what do you find that they are lacking? The Rode NT55's have omni and card. capsules to swap if you want more room sound. They are amazing in overheads for drums.

Ya know how sometimes you do something the same way forever, and you just get tired/bored of it. You need a different outlook/perception. For instance.....Last year I finally swapped out my old 57 on snare, for an Audix i5. I love the 57, but after yeeeears and years I just wanted to try something new, and inject some new flavor into things. So far I'm liking it.

The NT55's look very nice, but still out of my range. I'm not necessarily looking to capture more room sound, just a different sound.
I'm not going to get rid of my NT5's.

I have thought about going to a LDC, and the AT 4050 is pretty nice, though again out of my range.

This isn't something I need to do right away......just something I've been thinking about.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search