The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Symphony I/O and Thunderbolt...spoke with Apogee support today
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Symphony I/O and Thunderbolt...spoke with Apogee support today

Just spoke with Apogee tech support about the timeline for Thunderbolt capability. I definitely got the impression it will be no time soon. He said Thunderbolt was just released to manufacturers 90 days ago. He made the statement that it is very expensive technology. I understand that considering it's data-transfer capability, but I'm not sure what that has to do with how quickly they can incorporate it into the Symphony I/O unless it was a warning that the price will need to be increased (just speculating why he said that, I have no concrete basis). He said they have no idea when they will have it ready for release and that they are not allowed to state even a general frame of time (such as 1st or 2nd quarter next year?). He would not say whether the connection will be on the chassis or available on a module. He would only say that Symphony I/O will eventually have it, and that current owners of Symphony I/O will have Thunderbolt support.
Old 6th September 2011
Thanks for the heads-up. I think I won't wait. The issue of fan noise has put me off the Symphony i/o ... and i'm much more interested in the Focusrite RedNet now ... 128 channels over CAT5 cable - non-proprietory established technology, and latency below 4 ms ... the price including software controlled preamps seems very reasonable ...

RedNet - Digital audio system

Time will tell ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search