The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The most inputs and outputs. Digital Converters
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The most inputs and outputs.

Hi Everyone,

As many of you my hardware collection has been increasing again. I would like to hook up as many synthesizers and effects as I can do my iMac (new 2011). I am looking at getting the RME Fireface UFX.

I'm not sure about something though... To expand the analog I/O beyond 12 I need to use the ADAT interface... what is a good cost effective way to do this?

The example on the RME website say use the 2 ADI-8's but those are $2600 each.

"ADAT: Two 8-channel ADAT I/Os expand the UFX by 16 channels available simultaneously with the analog channels. They can be used to connect two 8-channel AD/DA converters, mixing consoles, or to insert effects devices. Both I/Os support sample rates with up to 192 kHz (S/MUX4). Using two external converters like the ADI-8 QS, the UFX will provide 28 analog inputs and outputs, 20 with a sample rate of 96 kHz, and still 16 at 192 kHz."

ps. I have an API 512c so I do not need any micpres.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Oliver Chesler; 6th September 2011 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Chesler View Post
Hi Everyone,

As many of you my hardware collection has been increasing again. I would like to hook up as many synthesizers and effects as I can do my iMac (new 2011). I am looking at getting the RME Fireface UFX.

I'm not sure about something though... To expand the analog I/O beyond 12 I need to use the ADAT interface... what is a good cost effective way to do this?

The example on the RME website say use the 2 ADI-8's but those are $2600 each.....
Congrats! I also have a new iMac and a UFX - so far I love it. There's no comparing the sound, the performance, the flexibility and the reliability with my old Yamaha mLan rig.

Well, for starters, the ADI-8s would be overkill for any synths. I'm not a synth guy but I'm pretty sure there's no synths out there that put out 192khz - and very few that even do 96khz. 4x SMUX is part of the high price of these units.

If you're not an absolute purist - most synth guys aren't. Why not start with a cheapie like a behringer ADA8000? I've seen stuff where The frequency response is pretty warbly up over 16k, but a lot of people seem to like the way it sounds despite this. At 150 euros used, you could always just buy a couple for use while you mull over all the other converter options

Better yet, a pair of Aphex 142's - analog to adat only are probably a little more sensible, and mods to them are a lot more common I think. You'll need a DB25 to TRS/Bantam patchpay too, but it'll still probably be a cleaner setup.

Dave
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks Dave... the Behringer is really cheap $193 w/free shipping... it's almost worth it just to try it out. Is there anything similiar just up the price range and sound quality... somewhere between the AD8000 and ADI-8 that a lot of people are using?

Yes... its going to be synths, a spring reverb unit and maybe an old Korg SDD2000 digital delay!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Chesler View Post
Thanks Dave... the Behringer is really cheap $193 w/free shipping... it's almost worth it just to try it out. Is there anything similiar just up the price range and sound quality... somewhere between the AD8000 and ADI-8 that a lot of people are using?

Yes... its going to be synths, a spring reverb unit and maybe an old Korg SDD2000 digital delay!
You want to spend more money? Or are you equating price range with sound quality? Interesting. If $193 is peanuts to you then you might as well try it out. Maybe buy a used one for around $100, that must be no money at all.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

How many channels are you recording at a time? If it's only a few then get a patchbay. If you want to get fancier and have EQ and effects with your synths before your AD converter then look into analog mixers.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

If cost is an issue, howsabout a Focusrite Octapre II? Should be plenty enough for synths...
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

@tyedie No I think $200 is plenty of money like anyone! I was just thinking the quality would be bad at the price. Apparently a lot of people think the Behringer does the job fine.

@Bassmankr 8 more will be fine... no eq or fx needed.

Thanks for all the answers... I'll grab the Behringer today... !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search