The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are ANY piezo tweeters high fidelity?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Are ANY piezo tweeters high fidelity?

I've never heard a piezo tweeter that didn't stink, but I was wondering if any modern models are okay. What's the current state of the art with piezo tweeters? Are any acceptable, or are they still all terrible? Thanks.

--Ethan
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I've never heard a piezo tweeter that didn't stink, but I was wondering if any modern models are okay. What's the current state of the art with piezo tweeters? Are any acceptable, or are they still all terrible? Thanks.

--Ethan
Hi Ethan,

The only good sounding piezo's that I have used are in arrays of them ala bill fitzmaurice pa cabs. The cheap goldwood 1016 sounds surprisingly good when you have 4 or more in an array. The more you have, the better they sound. Well, even then they're good enough for a much better than average pa system, but not a reference monitor.

They're so cheap that the qc is the real relevant issue and I usually throw out 1 out of every 5 or so.

For high quality work, the CTS piezos are the only ones worth anything from my understanding - http://www.usspeaker.com/cts%20index-1.htm

Robby
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

^^^ Thanks Robby. I looked at that site, but didn't see any meaningful specs. So it's tough to decide for myself how good the quality is. I'm not a piezo tweeter expert, but my understanding is the main problems are a non-flat response over their active range, and also peaky nasty resonances within the range. I guess those are the same, or at least closely related. Do you know of any place to find technical info on "good" piezo tweeters? That's mostly what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

--Ethan
Old 5th January 2016
Here for the gear

I designed a unique network that makes Piezo's sound pretty good.
Parts:
1- 1uF Mylar cap
1- 4.7 Electrolytic cap.
1- 0.15 mH coil

Tie one axial end of the 1uf to an axial on the 4.7 uf , tie the remaining 4.7 axial to the 0.15 mh coils inside wind lead.
The coils outside lead is the negative input , positive input is to the 1uf remaining open axial lead.

The Piezo positive connects onto the 4.7uf and coils inside wind are tied,
The Piezo negative ties onto the 1uf and 4.7 are tied.
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

piezo tweeters

if they sound good to you, so happy.
am in agreement with Ethan, they still stink.
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

They sound thin and harsh to me..
Old 5th January 2016
I love them in my bass cab, nice and spanky tops to 20k hz. I use the larger wide flaired horn model.

I prefer folded ribbon or AMT's for studio monitors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search