The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How/why do compressors make things "gel"? Dynamics Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

I do find bus compression exciting, but its the individual compression on individual tracks, downstream hitting the bus comp that it starts to sing. I like to ride faders into compression. Love automation. I Like to push acoustic guitar in and out on intros and other parts, bringing it forward and pushing the comp to break up a little more or become more present. It makes it interesting when you have 3 or 4 tracks of guitar mixed with automation and then hitting a bus comp. Something like the api2500 likes to take groups and make them shine. heh
Old 8th September 2011
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedclutter View Post
No need to apologize. I "get" what you were trying to say and that you were trying to help. I considered not responding to you at all, but the only reason I did was because I don't want people who are new to recording or feel weak in a certain area to be afraid to ask questions...and I think a post like yours can intimidate those who are sincerely looking for advice and want very badly to learn. A lot of recording isn't something you can learn in a textbook...and I think the topic of this thread is a very subjective one, not the same as asking what threshold and ratio do.

I often ask questions on here, looking for someone to "confirm" what I already know, or to set me straight if what I think I know turns out to be completely wrong. I find being right and wrong equally liberating. If you think a question is "below" you, then you can ignore it...and your point that "listening" and "doing' is way way more important than reading is 100% true. But, there is an encouraging way to say it and a way that I think comes off as bullying. You have the right to do it if you want to for whatever reason, but I'm just explaining the way I see it.

Sometimes the advice/opinions on here can reinforce your knowledge and build your confidence. When you have a great thread with many opinions, the sum of the opinions can really solidify the answer you're looking for and open your eyes. 9 out of 10 people I've interacted with on GS are amazing and the idea of making great recordings excites them and they are excited to impart their knowledge to others.

Anyway, I'm not saying that you were necessarily bullying, I just want you to understand my side of it. I'm far more afraid of the person who doesn't ask a question and pretends to know, than the person who asks a question because they love to learn and want to hear how others think about a subject. And you seem very knowledgeable, so it's a shame. I would have really loved to have heard more in-depth your take on this topic. I suppose it is not too late.

I'll stop now. We are both probably being a bit oversensitive. How about a truce?

Man, I tried to give help and advice, as did many others. Look back several posts. I thought I did the right thing. So yeah, it is a "shame" as you put it.

As far as "bullying" and all that, don't know what to say in response to this.

This is who I am. I try to say what I am thinking. You asked questions, looking for answers, and I told you how I thought the best way to get your questions answered was.

Sorry if it came across as if I thought your questions were "beneath me" or whatever you said. I am no badass mixing engineer dude, and know it.

Everyone starts somewhere. I get that. And for the third time or what have you, nothing wrong with questions. You do have to have enough experience though, to understand the answers when you recieve them.

What I was getting at, is some of your questions cannot be answered with great effect on an internet forum.

That is what I am getting at.

I'm sorry you missed my point, as this is really, truly 100% of what I was trying to convey.

Good luck to you man! Make some hit records.

john
Old 8th September 2011
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
Good luck to you man! Make some hit records.
john
Thanks. Same to you!
Old 8th September 2011
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedclutter View Post
Thanks. Same to you!
hauntedclutter = stand up guy.

See you around.

john
Old 8th September 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Ron Vogel's Avatar
 

I would suggest ITB to not always go to the same comp plug everytime, for every source. I find some sources just don't let some plugs behave like comps should. Weird, but true for the most part.

I never got along using hardware comps on the way in, so I'm not a fan of them...certainly nothing wrong with doing it that way if it's your thing.
Old 8th September 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
a lot of the SSL dudes are taking off 5, 6, 8 decibels sometimes (not always). Andy Wallace is the king of this sort of thing.

Yes, 8 decibels between 16 different pieces of slutty outboard comps, each contributing a GR of .5 decibels.

There are no magicians in this biz -- nuff said.

Old 29th September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Yes, 8 decibels between 16 different pieces of slutty outboard comps, each contributing a GR of .5 decibels.

There are no magicians in this biz -- nuff said.

no.

some dudes chain 3 comps together. i doubt anyone is chaining 8 or 10 or 16.

some, i promise you, are doing it all with the SSL G. i have read about some A-listers doing it. i have personally seen some not-quite-so-A-listers doing it.

it sure as hell doesn't work when i do it. but there's no particular reason that 4 comps doing 1db should always sound better than 1 comp doing 4db.
Old 29th September 2011
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
kai handberg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
no.

some dudes chain 3 comps together. i doubt anyone is chaining 8 or 10 or 16.

some, i promise you, are doing it all with the SSL G. i have read about some A-listers doing it. i have personally seen some not-quite-so-A-listers doing it.

it sure as hell doesn't work when i do it. but there's no particular reason that 4 comps doing 1db should always sound better than 1 comp doing 4db.
It seems to work for Robert Babicz - go find his video on mastering on vimeo
Old 29th September 2011
  #39
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedclutter View Post
So, when you are taking off 8 decibels, andy wallace style...what is the point sonically of going so drastic?

The simple answer is 'because he can make it sound good'.

The complex answer is that 8dB of reduction on a meter does not equate to an 8dB reduction in dynamic range. If the meter spends most of it's time swinging between 4 and 6dB, never goes to 0, and only occasionally spikes up to 8, then you are effectively reducing dynamic range by 2dB with an occasional 4dB reduction.

So then the question is 'why not simply do 0-2dB on the meter with the occasional spike at 4?' And the answer is 'because the knee is different at 4-6dB than it is at 0-2dB'. On soft knee compressors, those first few dB of reduction are gentle and therefore more transparent, less aggressive. On the ssl(and the 2500), 4-6dB is where the knee gets harder, so slamming things into that part of the knee results in a more squozen, glued sound.

Not sure if that was helpful or more confusing, but that's the answer to your question!


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 29th September 2011
  #40
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
but there's no particular reason that 4 comps doing 1db should always sound better than 1 comp doing 4db.

I don't know if it will sound 'better', but it definitely will sound 'different'!

Generally, spreading the work across mutliple comps makes the overall effect more transparent, less obviously 'compressed' sounding because each successive compressor focuses and compresses less of the transient energy to a greater degree. Conversely, a single compressor does less compression on a greater amount of transient energy.

I have a feeling that's clearer in my head than it is on the screen!


Gregory Scott - ubk
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump