The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is a Beta? Analog Processors (HW)
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

What is a Beta?

In reference to microphones (geez.......is it mic or mike), what is or makes a beta a beta?

Thank you,

-rich
Old 6th September 2011
1. A greek letter between alpha and delta.

2. A trade name used by the Shure Corporation for a line of live mics.

3. A prototype device.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you.

#2.............targeting and marketing. (and reckoning some subtle frequency response differences).

Thanks again.

-rich
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
Thank you.

#2.............targeting and marketing. (and reckoning some subtle frequency response differences).

Thanks again.

-rich
What do you mean "targeting"? You mean as in target market?

It's just a Shure model name, as JW mentioned above. Doesn't have any real external reference to anything beta-ish. Wouldn't be the best thing anyway since beta denotes a test model or version not yet ready for production. Soundcraft got a little closer with their Delta series.

Yes, they have audible differences from non-Beta models; they are a completely different line of mics.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Last edited by travisbrown; 7th September 2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Oops. Peavey amp = Delta. Meant SC Delta
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
What do you mean "targeting"? You mean as in target market?

It's just a model name, as mentioned above. Doesn't have any real external reference to anything beta-ish. Wouldn't be the best thing anyway since beta denotes a test model not yet ready for production. Peavey got a little closer with their Delta series.

Yes they have audible differences from non-Beta models; they are a completely different line of mics.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
A Beta is ever single software product ever released.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
beta-ish.
Yeah....... I've been putting some blue bacterial medicine in my grandsons fish bowl for his sick betafish............

Only kidding...

"Wouldn't be the best thing anyway since beta denotes a test model or version not yet ready for production"

Yes, I couldn't understand that as I've been seeing these "test" mics being for sale now for a few years.

Like a doctor that's "practicing"?

heh
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Two, second etc.
Often used for (prototype) version, stage.

Example: before Sony introduced the Betamax video tape (system), they had developed Alphamax (first version). They weren't satisfied with that first version, obviously (or they wouldn't have made a second), and sold the rights to JVC who renamed it VHS. The rest is history.

Henk
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
Like a doctor that's "practicing"?
Well, the sense of repeating something to get better as practice is only one (and much later) definition of the word. Actually historically more accurately means "carrying out" or "to perform". So really it's the reverse of your face palm
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

The Shure Beat line introduced supercardioid models of the 57 and 58 with higher output neodymium magnets.
Shure Beta Series article from SOS.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
standard shure 57/58 uses iron magnets in the transducer.
Beta Shures use Neodymium which is stronger than conventional magnets so less magnet mass is needed. Obviously it also changes the sensitivity/characteristics of frequency response.

Beta mic's sound brighter/crisper than the standard design, and probably due to better response to transients as part of it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you for helping clarify this for me!

"Well, the sense of repeating something to get better as practice is only one (and much later) definition of the word" (practicing).

Working on the newer definition here............. ? <<<straight up face palm.............heh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oops, I forgot to broaden my post to (Shure) mics/mikes. Somehow I thought that had been covered already. Well, it has now.
Yes, in short, Beta Shures are improved versions (although not everybody would agree). For dynamics, a neodymium magnet and a supercardiod polar pattern are the most relevant changes.

Henk
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

This thread seems to give the impression that all of Shure's Beta series microphones are super-cardioid dynamics. 10 of the 14 Beta mics are condensers and only 8 of them are super-cardioid. (including one that has variable polar patterns) So it's not neodymium magnets or super-cardioid polarity that make a Beta a Beta. The badge Shure puts on it makes it a Beta.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, I mentioned dynamics as an example, but again I guess I could or should have broadened it.
(If I recall well, the SM86 [non-beta; cardioid] was the first of that type and shape Shure condenser stage mic.)

Basically though it all comes down to beta being second and/or improved versions, from a manufacturer's or maybe even only marketing's standpoint.

Henk
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you.

Knock Knock....Who's there? Beta. Beta who? "Beta watch out, beta not cry, beta not pout......"

Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfunkel View Post
This thread seems to give the impression that all of Shure's Beta series microphones are super-cardioid dynamics. 10 of the 14 Beta mics are condensers and only 8 of them are super-cardioid. (including one that has variable polar patterns) So it's not neodymium magnets or super-cardioid polarity that make a Beta a Beta. The badge Shure puts on it makes it a Beta.
you're right. I totally forgot about the Beta condensers. I am deleting my above post.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search