The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundcraft Delta 200 quick Qs Mixers (Analog)
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Soundcraft Delta 200 quick Qs

1 - Is the Delta 200 modular? IE you can easily unscrew a channel and send it of for repair leaving the rest of the desk in place?

2 - Can you get them in 24 channels or just 16?

3 - Does each channel have an independent output?

4 - Also considering a System 8 A&H. What would you go for and why?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

UPDATE

Found the manual here what seems to state it is a fully modular system. But then I have heard many terms such as part modular and fully modular.

Modular to me is getting a screwdriver on the front panel and whipping out the channel strip. Is the Delta modular in this way.

IE no having to take the thing to bits etc.

Still leave 3 and 4 unanswered. Anyone?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
1 - Is the Delta 200 modular? IE you can easily unscrew a channel and send it of for repair leaving the rest of the desk in place?

2 - Can you get them in 24 channels or just 16?

3 - Does each channel have an independent output?

4 - Also considering a System 8 A&H. What would you go for and why?
1) Yes.

2) 32, 24, 16, 8

3) Yes.

4) Don`t know the A&H.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey man, thanks for the reply

You may not have seen my update but could you clarify my further q

CUT:-
Found the manual here what seems to state it is a fully modular system. But then I have heard many terms such as part modular and fully modular.

Modular to me is getting a screwdriver on the front panel and whipping out the channel strip. Is the Delta modular in this way.

IE no having to take the thing to bits etc.
-:PASTE
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

It`s fully modular.
You just have to unscrew 3 screws and pull the channel out.
The rest of the desk is working without the missing channels.

Great board. I love it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

ah, thanks. Think im leaning towards the delta now as the A&H doesn't seem to be that modular or modular at all.

Are there different version of the Delta? If so what one is best.

Im after it for warming up and harware EQing my DAW. So 24 DAW outs into 24 ghost ins back to 24 DAW ins.

Not arsed about groups or routing etc. Just the signal path and EQ.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

AFAIK, there is Delta 200, Delta DLX and Delta SR.

Don´t know for sure, but I think the difference between the DLX and 200
is that the former has 8 groups whereas the the 200 has only 4.
Furthermore, it has 6 aux sends, the 200`s aux sends 5/6 are switchable ( 3/4 or 5/6).

These boards are the ones to go, avoid the SR (the one with VU meters).

The signal pass is rather clean (can be modded to be even more transparent)
so I don`t know if it will be the right thing for "warming up" but the EQ
is very good and gives a little bit of "analog flava" nonetheless.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks mate! You have single handedly informed me
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I owned a 32 channel A&H System 8, bought it new in 1987, used it for about a year then sold it because I could not stand the sound quality of it.

When I first got it I thought the System 8 sounded ok but the more I used it the more I learned it had a very irritating character in the upper mids and highs.

Recently I bought a A&H Zed 436 (brand new only $1800), the slide faders in the modern Zed are kind of cheap feeling but the sound quality of this mixer is great, plus you get two sweepable mid bands instead of only one like on the System 8.

System 8 is only modular on the inside of the mixer and it's not particularly easy to pull those cards, much simpler on the Delta.

If you're stuck on buying a vintage mixer I'd go for the Soundcraft over the A&H System 8. If you have time give A&H Zed a listen, it's modular inside too.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

No prob. Glad I could help.

Be aware that they come in different configurations, i. e.
stereo input modules, 3 vs. 4 band eq etc.

You want the deluxe modules with 4 band eq.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Foldback - Thanks mate. Can the new budget zed's really sound as good as the classic stuff?

okallia - Yeah id prefer the deluxe version but I guess ill get what comes up on the bay next lol.

Im amazed no one doesn't make what im after. IE 16 or 24 analogue channels with a good EQ and thats it. I (perhaps like many) do not need pan pots or aux's or groups etc etc as I do all of that on my DAW.

Cant beat the hands on mix down touching real deal EQs though IMO.
Old 22nd February 2012
Here for the gear
Heh,
eveyone says they only need this or that. then most people discover some other annoyance that needs attention paid to it

If you'd like a nice eq I'd stay away from the System 8. I haven't touched one for years, but I seem to remember them being very much an entry level board, quite noisy and a bit dull sounding.
There are soo many better sounding desks than this for your purposes, the later A&H stuff if you want to keep compact, The older Soundcraft desks often go for a song if you've got the space for one. There's so much out there.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by okailla View Post
AFAIK, there is Delta 200, Delta DLX and Delta SR.

Don´t know for sure, but I think the difference between the DLX and 200
is that the former has 8 groups whereas the the 200 has only 4.
Furthermore, it has 6 aux sends, the 200`s aux sends 5/6 are switchable ( 3/4 or 5/6).

These boards are the ones to go, avoid the SR (the one with VU meters).

The signal pass is rather clean (can be modded to be even more transparent)
so I don`t know if it will be the right thing for "warming up" but the EQ
is very good and gives a little bit of "analog flava" nonetheless.
The 8 bus version is called the Delta 8. I think they only come in 16 channels and up but not sure).

The SR was the version for video post, IIRC. The DLX (or Delta 8) are the most desirable (4 band EQ and 6 send knobs vs 3 band and 6 sends but only 4 knobs; last 2 switchable to aux 3/4 or 5/6)... or something like that - the manuals are all available from Soundcraft's website so you can easily go and check. The circuits are otherwise the same.

IIRC the channels are mostly interchangeable between the various versions (Delta 8 excepted obviously) as well so it's not uncommon to see them for sale with some Deluxe channels and some reg ones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search