The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FMR RNC or Bombadier Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th September 2011
FMR RNC or Bombadier

So here's todays dilemma. A RNC came up on craigslist and I bid $75.
I'm also about to spend today with Bombadier and see what it does.
Which would you prefer? My only hardware comp is a UBK Fatso.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just got an RNC a couple of days ago. Primo! $75 is hardy worth the worry over what would be better, no? If you don't like it, you can easily re-sell it for $100 or more.
Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
I just got an RNC a couple of days ago. Primo! $75 is hardy worth the worry over what would be better, no? If you don't like it, you can easily re-sell it for $100 or more.
Seems like a no brainer to me.
Thanks! At $75 it would be a good deal but I'd rather support Stillwell! any other opinions?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

yep, get em both!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Everyone should have at least one RNC
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

RNC is hard to beat!
Old 6th September 2011
What's a bombadier?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Thanks! At $75 ... I'd rather support Stillwell!
Sounds like you made up your mind before even starting this thread, but I'm confused. You say you've already "bid" on the craigslist RNC (which I assume you sent an offer via email with no response back), but you'll have a chance to hear the bombadier today. You are ready to buy the RNC, so if you like what you hear today, buy it too. I'm not sure what you are hoping for from the GS community on this one...
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
Sounds like you made up your mind before even starting this thread, but I'm confused. You say you've already "bid" on the craigslist RNC (which I assume you sent an offer via email with no response back), but you'll have a chance to hear the bombadier today. You are ready to buy the RNC, so if you like what you hear today, buy it too. I'm not sure what you are hoping for from the GS community on this one...
LOL! All I was saying is that IF I can get the RNC for $75, I'd consider buying it instead of Bombadier. The seller won't go below $125 so I'm going to demo Bombadier and see if it deserves the love it gets.
After reading about the RNC on the forums it seemed to be a cheap way to get clean compression, so it piqued my interest.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

For $75 thats a steal!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The RNC is a major competitor and at home among comps ten times it's price. Even $125 is a good deal.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

RNC rocks, I used to have 3 and regret selling them. The only thing they can't compress is bass. They have a slightly bright tone, not offensive but it's still kinder to the hf's than plugin compression. More powerful transient attack as well, typical of hardware.

If you've got a decent way to sum all your outboard, I say go with the RNC.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not to mention you can evaluate a full no-restricition demo of Bombardier for as long as you want.
When and if you feel it's what you want, you buy it.
So essentially, you can use both for a while and see, really not much sleep to lose over this.
Old 7th September 2011
Hmmm I think you guys have swayed me!LOL. This is gearslutz after all.
Great point about the demo on Bombadier. I own a bunch of Stillwell plugs already so I'm aware of the quality of their work.
Thanks for chiming in UBK. I have your comp and love it. I think the RNC would be a nice compliment to it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Get the RNC. It's an amazingly versatile little box that does indeed hang with the big boys. I'd use it over plugins any day. As stated earlier, there is an unlimited evaluation period on the Stillwell stuff, so if you can get a good deal on the RNC now I'd say take that and get the Bombardier as soon as you can afford it (sidenote: also have a look at the Rocket, which I LOVE).
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV View Post
Get the RNC. It's an amazingly versatile little box that does indeed hang with the big boys. I'd use it over plugins any day. As stated earlier, there is an unlimited evaluation period on the Stillwell stuff, so if you can get a good deal on the RNC now I'd say take that and get the Bombardier as soon as you can afford it (sidenote: also have a look at the Rocket, which I LOVE).
Just a quick question on this. What is it about the RNC that makes it better than plugin? From what I've read it doesn't really do much to the sound other than normal transparent basic compression, so that led me to see it as unnecessary. I also have tried out the demo of "the rocket" but I didn't like it on the stuff I tried it with. Is it mainly appropriate for certain things, what kind of stuff did you use it on to get great results? This makes me want to go back and give it another shot.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Everyone should have at least one RNC
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoyot View Post
Just a quick question on this. What is it about the RNC that makes it better than plugin? From what I've read it doesn't really do much to the sound other than normal transparent basic compression, so that led me to see it as unnecessary. I also have tried out the demo of "the rocket" but I didn't like it on the stuff I tried it with. Is it mainly appropriate for certain things, what kind of stuff did you use it on to get great results? This makes me want to go back and give it another shot.

I understand that this may very well come off as a bit of a different reply than you might have asked for - even a little neither here nor there. I'd rather use the RNC than (just about any) plugins because:

1) I do a LOT of work in my studio - around 150 tracks per year. The RNC (or any other outboard compressor, for that matter) makes me stick to certain choices. This helps me form a vision for what I'm working on early on, which makes my life so much easier down the line. I'm not sitting there later on A/Bing plugins. I also find that my tracks come together that much more quickly when using hardware.

2) It has knobs that you can physically turn. I also didn't believe it 100% at first, but there's just something in working with hardware that teaches you so much more than any plugin does. Maybe it's because you're forced to stick with a decision that you pay more attention to what you're doing. I don't know...

3) Being able to compress on the way in definitely seems to preserve the 3D quality and livelyness of my work. I'm not sure if this is because it lets me use less plugins while mixing or if it's really a case of the cumulative effect of hardware, but it's definitely there. Tracks also seem to feel like a mix much easier and earlier on in the process. My tracks definitely "breathe" more.

4) While there are definitely plugins that I like (like The Rocket), I haven't found that any of them are "better" than the RNC. Different maybe. Some equally good, I'll admit. It's just that, as stated earlier, I like hardware and the workflow that comes with it and my RNC is better most of the time and, at the very least, equal. I do find it better than any plugin in its class (clean/transparent) I've ever tried, so it's a 100% win right there for me. Bass can be a little trickier, but otherwise it's really hard to make this box sound outright bad IMHO.

About the Rocket: I quite like it on Vox if I feel that I was too careful compressing on the way in or if things aren't sitting just right yet. I also REALLY like it on drum room mics, where I generally like the way it pumps and breathes and fattens things up. Although I don't find myself doing much of it, I quite like it for some parallel drum compression too.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The RNC is strapped against our 2 bus -- its a marvelous comp..
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

FMR RNC or Bombadier

RNC = secret weapon on snare.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
RNC = secret weapon on snare.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
I really like the RNLA on snare too. It'll spank it like a red headed step child.
Old 8th September 2011
Ok so I'm picking it up for $120. Not a bad price and not a great one either.
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Looking forward to patching in to a me1nv!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV View Post

I understand that this may very well come off as a bit of a different reply than you might have asked for - even a little neither here nor there. I'd rather use the RNC than (just about any) plugins because:
Actually that's a great answer, thanks for that. I know what you mean about getting results from an actual outboard unit with knobs, I have also experienced the same thing. I have lot of fun experiment with riding the knobs in ways you really couldn't do with turning the gui knob with a mouse. Speaking of which, can't we get away from those stupid virtual knobs?? That has to be one of the worst ways to set a parameter. I suppose I should buy some sort of outboard control thingy to use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search