The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wanted: Shootout of SM57 vs. BETA57A on Rack Toms Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Wanted: Shootout of SM57 vs. BETA57A on Rack Toms

I would really appreciate it if a slut or two could facilitate my wish of hearing a comparison of these two mics on the rack toms. I have a feeling that neither would fit the bill on floor toms, I think I'll stick with the MD421's there...

I'm sure I can't be the only one looking for a shootout of these mics on the rack toms, I've only been able to find comparisons on snare. Hard to imagine the sound if they were on the tomZ!

Thanks very much!

Andy
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

beta has better side rejection and doesnt have that weird pinched sounding SM57 output transformer

just 2cents
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

I've seen ONE shootout on youtube but it isn't very thorough, about five seconds per mic, and its just each mic solo'd. I'd like to hear it with the kit.

Thanks for the response, though I don't know what you mean by "pinched."

Andy
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Actually, after listening to transformer-less 57's its perfectly clear.

PINCHED!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

if it were me i'd get a granelli modified SM57 and yoink the transformer out of it. JUST NEVER APPLY PHANTOM POWER. if you think you might accientally, or want a higher output, get the Tab Funkenwerk transformer to replace the ****ty Shure one.

mercenary audio will probably do it for you as described

ive heard of guys putting the beta 57 capsule+grille on the granelli 57. well i heard of ONE guy doing it. i might have read about it here on GS, cant remember. if you do that, PULL THE FOAM OUT OF THE BETA 57 GRILLE. theres foam in there right? am i going crazy? anyway foam grill lining is for vocals only IMO.

and some people remove the resonator disk from the SM57 capsule.

anyway call mercenary, the right angle on the granelli thing is GREAT
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search