The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home recording studio Studio Monitors
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head
Home recording studio

Hail, brothers!

Sorry, if I made a mistake and posted this topic in a wrong forum.

Today, I'm using RME FireFace 400, KRK RP5, Shure 57, Marshall DSL401, CME 61 midi keys and MacBook Pro to produce my tracks.
Now, I'm going to upgrade my home studio as shown on a picture.
Will this scheme work or should I reengineer it?

Thanx in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Home recording studio-instruments.jpg  
Old 6th September 2011
Buy a patchbay. It will give you more flexibility. I would also consider monitors upgrade (trust me...IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR STUDIO.
Cheers !
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head
I'm going to buy a pair of ADAM A7X monitors. So my KRK RP5 will be replaced with A7X.
The main question is - will shown system work?
Are compressors and EQs a good choice or should I watch out for smth else.

Thank u for the reply btw
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head
BTW, do Presonus distort or change signal - I'm kinda worrying about it.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

I wouldn't go with the Presonus, it colors the sound too much. I would go with a Coleman, or something similar.

Does the Fireface have ADAT? I would run the Lynx through ADAT and use SPIDIF for the Rosetta and use the FF for the master clock. I don't think you can run two interfaces at the same time through firewire, but I could be wrong.

Or you could sell the FF and buy some more outboard comps or pres, it think a pair of Distressors would go nice with what you have. Other than some sort of midi interface you have what you need with the firewire card on the lynx.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head
You mean to connect both Lynx and Rosetta into FF400 via different interfaces?
I thought, at first I'm gonna stick with FF400 + Rosetta200 and then switch to Lynx + Rosetta (selling FF400).
The only question - can I use ONLY Lynx + Rosetta w/o FF400 to work in Logic?
What's a distressor?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

I am not certain you can use the Lynx alone as a firewire interface, you will need to verify that with a dealer that sells them.

Distressors are a compressor that is incredibly flexible, look them up I love those things.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Are your goals to be a recording engineer or a musician? If your goals are to be a musician, this studio setup is fine!

For what it's worth, I've heard amazing-sounding platinum-selling records made on Digi 001's and terrible ones made on Neves.

Do something with your gear and make decisions as you go along. Definitely don't listen to us clowns. If you start to need a patchbay in your private, unpretentious digital home studio where you record one thing at a time, you'll know. What you've got is fine to start. Start recording, listening, reading... Good luck!
Old 7th September 2011
I've thought about your setup for a little while and I have some questions.

I don't see why you need so much conversion - it looks like you're just using a few channels at a time. Why not just get the Lynx and use it for both AD/DA (looks like more than enough), and use something like a Dangerous D-box for your monitoring. There, much simpler... costs about the same as what you have listed, and you get analog monitoring for up to eight channels, plus you can run all the rest out through s/pdif on your RME.

And as posted above, hook it all up through a patchbay so you can easily reroute stuff like mic pres, etc. With your set up, you could even get away with a simple TRS patchbay.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard amazing-sounding platinum-selling records made on Digi 001's
This is OT...but, name one. MIXED in software.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
This is OT...but, name one. MIXED in software.
Yeah, that really is OT! Good sounding tracks mixed in the box? GS already has plenty of threads about it, so I won't start a new one.

Here's the first thread that comes up in a search of this forum:https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-cha...mixed-box.html

I just interviewed Chris Shaw who just mixed the latest Nada Surf at his DAW-based home studio. I'm sure it will sound good, just like all his other stuff does.

Tracked on a 001? The first Peter Bjorn and John record, off the top of my head. I think the first Air record may have been, but I'd have to check my notes. It'll be hard to find too many references from the last couple years as there aren't many 001s left in active duty. But go back a few years and you'll find even more.

If you're really interested, maybe start a thread on what popular records were tracked on comparable records? The kids seem to like Cults and The Vampire something-or other. (The Vampire Mondays? Is that it? Did I get it right?) They both did a bunch of stuff by themselves on similarly modest setups before finishing up with Shane Stoneback.

Do I prefer nice gear? Yes. Do I prefer mixing on a good-sounding console to mixing with a mouse? Yes. Should we give the OP an insecurity complex about his serviceable home studio? No.

Apologies if my comments sounded dismissive. It just looked like "tell the guy nothing is ever going to be good enough until he spends a kajillion dollars" was the direction this thread was headed and got concerned.

As you were!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsree View Post
I am not certain you can use the Lynx alone as a firewire interface, you will need to verify that with a dealer that sells them.
Manuals and other docs show that it can be connected via firewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsree View Post
Distressors are a compressor that is incredibly flexible, look them up I love those things.
Ok, but I thinks its hard to find them in Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Are your goals to be a recording engineer or a musician? If your goals are to be a musician, this studio setup is fine!

For what it's worth, I've heard amazing-sounding platinum-selling records made on Digi 001's and terrible ones made on Neves.

Do something with your gear and make decisions as you go along. Definitely don't listen to us clowns. If you start to need a patchbay in your private, unpretentious digital home studio where you record one thing at a time, you'll know. What you've got is fine to start. Start recording, listening, reading... Good luck!
I was going to produce and premix my tracks at home - to catch the concept and vision of the track. After I'll learn more about mixing and producing I'll start doing everything at home. I know, that for much more better results I need resources, investments and knowledge. But there's always a starting point
If thing will be bad - I'll just record and send for mixing and mastering in the studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statzern View Post
I don't see why you need so much conversion - it looks like you're just using a few channels at a time. Why not just get the Lynx and use it for both AD/DA (looks like more than enough), and use something like a Dangerous D-box for your monitoring. There, much simpler... costs about the same as what you have listed, and you get analog monitoring for up to eight channels, plus you can run all the rest out through s/pdif on your RME.
You know, some say Apogee better than Lynx, some vice versa It's a compromise

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search