The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do we think, technically, of pop from 5 years ago? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

What do we think, technically, of pop from 5 years ago?

I'm thinking like that Gwen Stefani 'Sweet Escape' record, the Nelly Furtado 'Loose' record, the ones that were big late 2006 and huge into 2007. And other material from that time, the Timberlake Futuresexlovesounds stuff, the Beyonce B'Day record, etc. Been listening back a little, not drawing any conclusions yet, wanted to float the question to the board.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
I'm thinking like that Gwen Stefani 'Sweet Escape' record, the Nelly Furtado 'Loose' record, the ones that were big late 2006 and huge into 2007. And other material from that time, the Timberlake Futuresexlovesounds stuff, the Beyonce B'Day record, etc. Been listening back a little, not drawing any conclusions yet, wanted to float the question to the board.
I actually thought 5 years ago, the only producer in the world was Timbaland.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'm one of those people that generally hates pop music with a passion, and the era of boy bands / girl bands drove me nuts. But I thought around the time that Britney Spears brought out Toxic, Justin Timberlake brought out that Senorita track and Christina Aguilera started doing some semi-interesting stuff that we were entering a sort-of golden period where pop would become clever. Neptunes were doing cool tracks everywhere.

But then T-Pain came along and it was all downhill from there.

That is my contribution to the topic.
Old 6th September 2011
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Nice one.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

I DJ on the weekends, occasionally chuck on a track from back then, Sexyback or Flaunt It or Pump It. I have to say, compared to what is in the latest monthly CD's I get, these tracks sound AMAZING!!! As in there is sooooome degree of variety from that same fricken kick snare 130bpm autotune BS that is EVERY SINGLE track that seems to be coming out of late. I heard a great quote that the music of today all sounds like it's sung by Horny robots!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Well, I remember all that from 5-7 years ago and there were more instruments being used for sure, compared to now on most stuff. The boy bands have seem to left and it was really a lot of real actual singers for a bit there. Autotune was around, but wasn't abused as much as right now. Not so much different from stuff before it.

However I use to hang around in the city(subculture) and electro/electroclash was getting huge and was coming over from europe. Stuff like Msrkrft, Ladytron and a lot of tecno stuff seem to be the new underground "cool" in clubs. I knew it was only a matter of time before producers would be influenced by it and what was hot at the clubs. A lot of people starting in that genre and products of that short live trend went on to produce what we have now. So it makes sense to me what's going on. Things get hip and all the hipsters love on it for 4-5 years and then brittney does it, they think it's not cool, look for something new and we have 5 more years of the same thing, but on a huger level of mass appeal. I tired of the electro dance pop thing in 2007 :P It's always been a cycle since I remember listening to music and hanging out in big cities. I mean grunge was just part of the punk/art scene, modest mouse was around forever, the strokes stuff wasn't much knew hipster kids weren't already hearing 5 years before it. It's just a trickle down effect that's already been tested, numbers are there and it's proven to be super safe.

Dubstep also has, and is about to get raped even more most likely.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
What do we think, technically, of pop from 5 years ago?

My wife loves the grooves on those Furtado/Timbaland tracks but they drive me nuts with the sound. That awful crunching noise he uses for a bass drum may work fine on bandpass car subs with lots of overhang. But on anything accurate it's a really annoying noise.

The quandary of what are you producing for. Somehow he knew that the horrid distorted noise heard in the control room would be just the ticket for DJs with Cerwin Vega cabinets.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sterile, atmosphere-free sh*te.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
I think as little as possible about pop music from 5 years ago. I heard that stuff rots your brain.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Technically, nothing has changed.
Creatively, very little has changed.

May the music industry collapse on its own weight and breed bored kids that make their own music without the pressure they get from major labels to release very radio-friendly poop.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Pop music from five years ago is no different than today's pop music (i.e., it's mostly crap)....seems like a silly question to me.

Chris
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I can remember the first time I heard that joke. Good days.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
I always feel that the music from 5 years ago in the pop world sounded better.
Auto-tune wasn't as hard, there was a little more 'breath' to the mixes, creativity on records was allowed to happen.

Dunno - I just feel that music in general is heading down the pan!
Old 6th September 2011
Go back to the last 90s and there was still plenty of good stuff. But, there's not been a lot since then (popular stuff) that really appeals to me. I put on a few tunes from Tragic Kingdom the other day and it's so nice, though already getting over-compressed by that time. But it's drawing on so many influences and it's real performances by talented musicians. Has anything been popular in the last five years that's that good? I'm not aware of it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most Timbo stuff, Britney's Circus.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
its been all downhill since the 50s

not counting the fidelity issues its all been downhill since the 30s
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Go back to the last 90s and there was still plenty of good stuff. But, there's not been a lot since then (popular stuff) that really appeals to me. I put on a few tunes from Tragic Kingdom the other day and it's so nice, though already getting over-compressed by that time. But it's drawing on so many influences and it's real performances by talented musicians. Has anything been popular in the last five years that's that good? I'm not aware of it.
I love Tragic Kingdom ...

Popular and Good ... that's pretty subjective ... you could argue that if something is popular it has to be good, at least subjectively to all the punters who voted with their dollars.

If you like early Gwen, maybe you would like KT Tunstall

KT Tunstall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eye to the telescope is outside your 5 year limit, but her later albums are pretty good too.

I rate her song writing and vocals with some of the best ever, regardless of decade.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 View Post
Pop music from five years ago is no different than today's pop music
I agree with this part of the statement, not necessarily with the value judgment that went along with it. I do have a hard time discerning any meaningful stylistic or musical differences from 2006 to today. The haircuts look the same, too.

Even on the purely technical level - what is different now? a few more ITB mixes? More soft synths and less hardware synths?

Oh, they only had Pro Tools 7.9? How did they ever manage?

the OP must be really young to think that "5 years ago" is some distant, bygone era that can be contrasted with TODAY's Modern Sound.

either that, or I am really old, which I admit is a distinct possibility!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

re: 5 years, i thought that since pop has a reputation for changing somewhat rapidly, 5 years would be a conservatively narrow window, that's all

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search