The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie HDR/MDR96 as ADAT I/O recorder Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mackie HDR/MDR96 as ADAT I/O recorder

I was looking at options for an ADAT I/O recorder after getting rid of an Alesis HD24. Now I need another mobile setup.

I'd like a Joeco, but way too expensive for what they are. And I only need digital I/O.

Any reason why I shouldn't just use a Mackie HDR/MDR with three lightpipe cards? They seems to go for super cheap.

I don't need it to do anything except record.

(also, if anyone has one that they want to get rid of...)

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Mackies have been rock solid for me. The only problem will be finding hard drives SMALL enough to record on. The original will only address 30GB, and the "upgraded BIOS" (via EPROM swap) 120GB. I (& others) have successfully used 160GB drives, but they only format to about 120.

I have an iZ Radar V as my "main" recorder, but I really use it as ad/da for the Mackie. I find the Mackie much easier to navigate, and features like 8 'virtual takes' per track make comping & editing much easier.

Scott
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use the SDR 24/96 still. Advantages are it uses any size drive and it records 24 tracks at 96k (though digital i/o is limited to 12 channels at 96k.) Disadvantages are there are more problem units on the used market than reliable ones, as it was released way before it was finished.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm always hesitant about claiming there is a huge untapped market for anything, but this is one of the things I'd buy two of in a heartbeat:

<$1000 1u ADAT I/O recorder. 24 or 32 channels. Firewire or USB port for transfer. No bells and whistles.

Seems like it would be incredibly simple to develop.

MOTU or Alesis would do a good job of something like this. Take the HD24. Strip all the converters and one drive out of it. Squash it down to 1u.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search