The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cant decide next step in gear????? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

cant decide next step in gear?????

well i cant decide my next step in gear, i let go of my lunchbox and great river about a year ago and been using the duets pres. Looking over my music i cant honestly say that the top notch pre brought me that much more than the duet.

I did however find greatest variances using UADs plugins. compressor and delays.

So i dont know wether to upgrade my computer i have a 2007 macbook pro, that im sort of sick of working on a small screen, but cant justify a new computer purchase if it really doesn't help my sound.

Bring back the high end pre???? with first compressor? and maybe sell the uad?????

or invest in more plugins to saturate my sound with warmth and charactor? like the new lexicon 224?

so in all

upgrade computer for better workflow?? bigger screen?
or upgrade preamp , compressor???
or add in a few more uad plugins that bring character and warmth.

I do a hybrid rap spoken word slam style.

i know this is confusing but i keep going back and forth!!!
Old 6th September 2011
Buy a new screen, bearing in mind future compatibily. You are bound to buy a new Mac sometime in the future, and that will have Thunderbolt. Don't worry about a new interface until the Thunderbolt devices hit the market. I'm waiting for Apogee ...

Seems like you are pretty well setup for now ... a new HD LED screen will scratch the itch for now ...

Now about microphones ...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Listen to your mixes and be critical. What's missing? Is there too much of something? Try to figure out what your weaknesses are in your whole system. You will get much more advantage by determining what you need to know and developing a plan to learn it than by just buying more gear. Until you have made your mind up about what the highest priority gear needs are, don't spend. Save and wait, critique and think.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

so u say wait for thunderbolt technology? when u say waiting for apogee the firewire 2 isn't enough for u???

new screen? only problem is the 2007 mac book pro wont operate in clamshell mode. its annoying with the screen open to navigate * but very good point.

i had a top notch pre for awhile and listening to a few diff tracks of mine it doesn't stand out better than the duets one.

what does stand out is how i set reverbs and delays.

my weaknesses are not being able to stack my vocals to get that larger than life sounds i want i like alott of east oakland rap that has that phasey double edged sound.

i use an at 4047.

funny 2 songs i used an old 1176 with a old classic neuman tube mic and 1073 and its the tracks i hated the most i think the 1176 squashed my warmth in my voice.

so i look back on other tracks and i say dam i like the duet just as well once i warmed it up with the fatso plugin and other things.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

dont the new imacs have thunderbolt? r u saying wait for interfaces to come out with thunderbolt technology????????
Old 6th September 2011
You already have your answer. The preamp that you sold brought you "that much more" so you need to buy a nice preamp. The sound starts at the source and you need to be able to capture it in the highest quality.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

read again the preamp i said *DID NOT BRING THAT MUCH MORE DIFFERENCE than the duet. i know that is the norm, but a few songs i did with out the top end preamp i actually liked much better.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

i cant honestly say( it brought me that much more than the duet.
the quality delays, reverb and compression made more difference imo
Old 7th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rredline View Post
i cant honestly say( it brought me that much more than the duet.
the quality delays, reverb and compression made more difference imo
You need to buy better delay, reverb and compression then.

I'm thinking Bricasti, Lexicon, Eventide ....
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rredline View Post
well i cant decide my next step in gear, i let go of my lunchbox and great river about a year ago and been using the duets pres. Looking over my music i cant honestly say that the top notch pre brought me that much more than the duet.

I did however find greatest variances using UADs plugins. compressor and delays.

So i dont know wether to upgrade my computer i have a 2007 macbook pro, that im sort of sick of working on a small screen, but cant justify a new computer purchase if it really doesn't help my sound.

Bring back the high end pre???? with first compressor? and maybe sell the uad?????

or invest in more plugins to saturate my sound with warmth and charactor? like the new lexicon 224?

so in all

upgrade computer for better workflow?? bigger screen?
or upgrade preamp , compressor???
or add in a few more uad plugins that bring character and warmth.

I do a hybrid rap spoken word slam style.

i know this is confusing but i keep going back and forth!!!
I have a monitor I`m selling for pennies. $50, you pay S&H. PM if interested. Aside from that, I have to say, as an owner of the GR pre in 500 format, it never really tickled me as much as I had hoped. On the other hand, my Avalon 737s always make me feel special. I`m not telling you what to get because its all a matter of taste but gear should make you want to record because it sounds good. Maybe you need a pre that warms your heart. Maybe you need a better workflow. Only you can decide on what it really is.

Have you been recording a lot with your current setup or are you steering away from your studio because you`re not inspired?
Old 9th September 2011
Deleted User
No man, you said it right in your original post: compressor and delays.

So, you'll need to run your pre into a good vocal compressor and then a killer delay unit.

LA2A hardware heh There are so many good vocal compressors that cost less than an LA2A.

PCM41 or something newer.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search